RCS growth problem
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

RCS growth problem

I can't get the youngings to grow adult sized like to at least an inch. Like when I got my six babies from Noahma they grew pretty quickly to like at least an 1in. But the babies they had made are the size of a pinky nail. The first babies were born sometime around April I think.

Well the males from Noahma disappeared (I guess they died, I haven't noticed any dead bodies but it is hard to see with all those plants) so the baby production have significantly stopped in fact I don't think I've seen any of the RCS in the tank berried for the couple past months.

I had a baby RCS hitchhike on some plants from my 10g that I put in the 5g and it is adult 1 inch already! I remember when he was a wee thing, and I don't even feed that tank specifically for it. I'm not even sure where it is getting its food from. Maybe it is lucky to eat a piece of Hikari Micro Pellet that I feed my guppies.... or it is eating the hair/thread algae (not sure what kinda of algae, but its looks like threads on plants)?

The 10g is where I am having this problem, I just don't know how the lone shrimp in my severely overcrowded 5g (7 adult guppies and their growing fry) got bigger than his siblings.

I'm not sure if it is because of the lack of food or if that is normal. I feed once every other day... either a pinch of Hikari Shrimp Cuisine or half of an Aqueon algae disc.

Ohh, I'm not sure, but on the days they don't get food they are clear with red, but on the days they get food they seem more full redder. Maybe it's a sign I should feed them everyday instead?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
dodohead
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

i feed mine everyday... maybe they need more calcium? when they have enough calcium they molt and get a little bit bigger after the molt..

the lone one probably has natural food like algae or left overs the fish dont eat...
dodohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

yeah, if they get no protein, there's not a lot of growth... If you're not supplementing their algae intake with high protein they will grow slower and not make babies as fast.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

my baby RCS are already really big, just one week ago they were so tiny i only saw 2 in there. now theres at least 25 visible "small" RCS

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

btw, I don't think this is your only problem, there may be another issue, water quality, temp or parameters... They should breed like flies. Check nitrate, I've heard it has stunting properties with fish... Perhaps with shrimp as well
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Okay then, I will feed them everyday. I feed them these, switching each time. neither of them has calcium in their GA, but the ingrdients have some sort of calcium chemical...

Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Technically, you don't have to "feed" your shrimp everyday. They will eat on detritus and microscopic stuff. There should be enough calcium in the diet you give them, but you seem to be giving them too much protein in their diet in my opinion. Shrimp really only need protein once a week, the rest of the time, vegetation

Like Mord said, there could be a whole range of other issues outside of diet that could be affecting them. One way to rule that this is not a food or is a food issue, is trying to add maybe some boiled baby organic spinach to their diet and see if that helps. The spinach is packed full of nutrients for them with no protein.

If that doesn't help, then there is another underlying issue. Maybe they are lacking iodide, maybe your water parameters aren't good, maybe too much protein? Who knows. Rule out as much as you can first.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
btw, I don't think this is your only problem, there may be another issue, water quality, temp or parameters... They should breed like flies. Check nitrate, I've heard it has stunting properties with fish... Perhaps with shrimp as well

Okay I just did a full range of stuff with the API Freshwater Master Kit:

pH: 7.6
High Range pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Temp: 80*F though the heater is set to 74* since if I normally set it at 78* the temp would be 84* during the summer... it is much more accurate during the Winter time... maybe I should just unplug the heater for the summer? Since my room is at least 75*F if not hotter most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
Technically, you don't have to "feed" your shrimp everyday. They will eat on detritus and microscopic stuff. There should be enough calcium in the diet you give them, but you seem to be giving them too much protein in their diet in my opinion. Shrimp really only need protein once a week, the rest of the time, vegetation

Like Mord said, there could be a whole range of other issues outside of diet that could be affecting them. One way to rule that this is not a food or is a food issue, is trying to add maybe some boiled baby organic spinach to their diet and see if that helps. The spinach is packed full of nutrients for them with no protein.

If that doesn't help, then there is another underlying issue. Maybe they are lacking iodide, maybe your water parameters aren't good, maybe too much protein? Who knows. Rule out as much as you can first.

Okay, I will try the organic baby spinach!!! I love to eat Spinach so no waste there either if they should not want to eat it
Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
dodohead
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

PH is kinda high.. i try to keep mine at 7.2 or less.. i heard high ph affects shrimps ability to have babies.. im not sure if thats a real factor though in this case

theres also come copper sulfate in the food youre feeding them but its a really tiny amount and i doubt it would make a difference...?

i set my thermometer to 74, but since its summer its 80F now...
dodohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hmm... Mine take quite a bit of time to grow as well. I give them a mixture of foods, mostly they get what the fish do not eat on its way to the bottom. They do get quite a bit of protein to munch on.

If you need more males let me know, I have more than enough Eden.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

ahh ur pH is high!

lower it!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohead View Post
PH is kinda high.. i try to keep mine at 7.2 or less.. i heard high ph affects shrimps ability to have babies.. im not sure if thats a real factor though in this case

theres also come copper sulfate in the food youre feeding them but its a really tiny amount and i doubt it would make a difference...?

i set my thermometer to 74, but since its summer its 80F now...
Well the original six I got from Noahma made me plenty of babies in this type of water, so the lack of baby now is due to the lack of grown males I think. And I've been feeding this foods with the original six and they did fine... it's just their offspring aren't getting as big as they did. The offpsring is still the size of a pinky nail and the original six grew to be at least 1 inch.

I wish I could talk and understand shrimp language... that way I could talk to them and better understand their needs to make them be at their fullest potential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Hmm... Mine take quite a bit of time to grow as well. I give them a mixture of foods, mostly they get what the fish do not eat on its way to the bottom. They do get quite a bit of protein to munch on.

If you need more males let me know, I have more than enough Eden.
Okay thank you. If shrimp food is made for shrimp why is it high in protein then if they need low protein... I wonder o_O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
ahh ur pH is high!

lower it!
Okay I will use some distilled water with the next water change. I guess I'm gonna have to be one of those "weirdos" that buy tons of jugs of distilled water lol. I need distilled water anyways for my carnivorous plants.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

I don't think lack of males would be a problem, cherry shrimp reach sexual maturity after 8 weeks. Even small males can do it.

and if they bred in the water, it could be that they still were feeling ok from being in your friends water, but now they're bummed out... Would explain why their babies were small, since the babies were BORN in this water and have lived their whole lives in it.

just a thought!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Not enough information; need GH and KH also.
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #15
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
Not enough information; need GH and KH also.
gH: 7 drops
kH: 4 drops

Tetra Laborett Freshwater Master Kit