night time airation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
fishpoop
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to fishpoop

[size=18]will my fish (platys pleco) and plants (moderatly planted) be harmed if I unplug the filter at night. It's hard to sleep in the same room. Do you think enough oxygen will be in the water from the day to supply the plant and fish at night. it's only a 20g so surface area to volume ratio is relativly good compaired to a large tank I hope it would be enough to allow gas exchange without circulation at night.
fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
kor4ever
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not sure, but keep in mind, plants produce CO2 at night, so if you add CO2 add night in your tank, you'll have alot of CO2 if you turn off your filter. So your fish mught suffocate.

Felix
Old 03-24-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
fishpoop
Planted Member

I could put the yeast output to a gang valve and close the tank side and open the second side that would go into a cup, to keep the oxygen from getting into the mixture
But is "turning off" co2 enough ?
Old 03-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

hmmmm...
personally I wouldnt do that , turning it off might not be too good for the bacteria colony in your filter at all... they need the circulation to sustain health. That is just my opinion though, I have never been in your position and I really have never heard of having to to do this.
What are you running for a filter that keeps you awake ?
Maybe you could get a smaller quieter filter to carry the tank through the night or maybe move the tank? 20 gallon isnt that large and if done correctly and carefully it should be no problem to move.

Man..tuff one... , maybe someone else has experienced this and can give you some ideas.

Good Luck to ya...
Old 03-24-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I agree with BUCK. Shutting off the filter at night will cause all the bacteria in your filter to die from a lack of O2. Get a quieter filter or perhaps you can fix that one. Maybe the impeller is bad. :?

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
jerseyjay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Definitely DO NOT turn it off.

Your ears may benefit from that but dfinitely not established bacteria. Bacteria needs constant O2 and movement to be present and if those are lacking you will disturb Nitrogen Cycle.

How big is your tank and what kind of filter do you have ?
jerseyjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2003, 01:45 AM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What type of filter do you have? My emperor 400 makes noise but not that much so I can't sleep.... I do, however, have first hand experience with bad impellers, so if the noise is new, check the impeller ASAP!

-Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2003, 02:38 AM   #8
fishpoop
Planted Member

I have a couple aquaclear mini
they are not broken i'm just a light sleeper
I live in student houseing my land lord is a gradstudent and so she lives with us and she dosn't want me moving anything outside my room. :evil:
if I keep only a few fish will the fliter bacteria even be necessary :?:
i thought the plants would eat all the wastes if I get enough fast growing ones. I only use foam b/c I heard the carbon takes micro fertz out of the water. so i don't have that much surface area for a big bacteria colony any way.
besides killing the bacteria do you think any harm would occour if I shut off one of the filters at night?
Old 03-25-2003, 02:48 AM   #9
fishpoop
Planted Member

I was thinking of buying a canister filter and puting in the stand's cabnit and sound proofing it. DO you think that would be more quiet?
can you buy attachments to make multiple outflows for a canister to produce curents in the tank.
my final question is what type of media are you guys(+girls) using in your canister filters?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:36 AM   #10
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

Sleep with earplugs in.

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2003, 01:53 PM   #11
fishpoop
Planted Member

good idea :lol:
actualy last night was the first tme I slept with both filters runing togeather and I think having two sounder better some how it seamed more low pitched maby there was some active interferance between the high pich frequencys.
I was like when you fly in the twin engine plane ther may be more noise but it sounds way sweeter then a single engine cessna 8)
I hope I just get used to the sound I probaly will

thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.