Digsy's succulent collection - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 10-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice plants, I'm glad I found it. I think I'm interested in succulents, but I'm just not ready to buy one yet since I don't want to jump in without knowing abit more.

I was wondering, are Fenestraria and Pleiospilos Nelii easy plants for someone who's never kept succulents before?

Since you're in WA, do you keep them indoors? Will they be able to thrive with the light spill from my nano?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

I think that most of the succulents I've kept have been pretty easy, as long as you only water when appropriate. For most of my plants, their growth season is in the fall so, they get more regular water then but still probably only 1x/week. The rest of the year, I tend to water when I remember, when probably ends up being 1x/every 3-4 weeks.

Most of them let you know when they need water by getting shriveled (at least the lithops) and too much water causes them to look like they're going to burst, which they can if they're over watered. I haven't managed to do that yet but I've come close.

The only other important factor besides water is the soil. Everyone has a different mix that they use but sharp draining is important so, I use succulent soil and then add sand, pea gravel and gypsum.

If you're thinking of buying a few, I would recommend finding what you want someplace like Arid Lands because they have a huge selection and lots of pictures of everything. I prefer to actually buy at Miles 2 Go because his prices are quite a bit lower but his online catalog is much less user friendly. I've been very pleased with the quality of everything I've purchased from him.

So, kind of a long answer to a simple question.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #33
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

My cousin had a cactus once, it looked like a tiny barrel cactus, she did not water it enough and it died. On the other hand, my mom bought one aloe when I was in elementary school. That grew to about 10 pots of 3 or 4 aloe plants. We were giving them away to family. Now, we have about 4 pots with 2 or 3 aloe in each. I have to repot them this coming summer.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #34
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
My favorite. Beautiful. You sure do know how to grow plants.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #35
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Aw these are beautiful.

I've got a Jade plant I KNOW I'm not doing any favors for because it is cold (winter) and it is in a north facing window.

I hope it'll survive until I move out of college.

Digsy, are there any succulents you can recommend that stay smaller and have lower light requirements? I notice you've got some very beautiful and tiny ones, but I never know if they'll grow just by looking at them.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote