Digsy's succulent collection
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

Digsy's succulent collection

This thread has nothing to do with vivariums or terrariums but there are several other similar threads here so, it seems like the best place to stick this. Here are pictures of some of the succulents I've started accumulating over the last few months. I have a few more that I need to photograph still.

Unknown Aeonium - This was doing fine near a sunny window inside but has developed these purple edges (along with being a little singed in a few places) since being left outside all week.

Beaucarnea recurvata - This was an impulse purchase when I saw it at Sam's Club. This thing has the potential to be monstrous so, I don't know how long it will last in that container.

Didymaotus sp.

Echeveria metallica x posina

Euphorbia obesa:

Fenestraria sp.

Gasteria pillansii

Haworthia sp. #1 - The color is completely different than the plants I divided and left indoors. The indoor plants are such a dark, deep green, which I think I prefer.

Haworthia sp. #2

Haworthia cooperi var. pilifera

Lapidaria margaretae

Lithops sp. #1 (possibly not Lithops, I'm unsure)

Lithops sp. #2

Mammillaria gracilis fragilis with a flower coming in

Mammillaria spinosissima

Matelea cyclophylla

Pleiospilos simulans

Turbinicarpus pseuodpectinatus 'rosieflorus'

Last edited by Digsy; 08-30-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Nice. Your first one looks kinda like this. If you want one let me know. I have a bunch.

Also this...

fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Digsy
humble bumble

That first Aeonium is gorgeous fresh.salty! They look so similar, I'm having a hard time positively identifying them! What is the second picture?

Matelea cyclophylla - This one is not doing so well after I had extreme difficulty getting it out of the plastic pot it came in. I'm hoping it will bounce back after it acclimates to it's new pot and full sun.

Last edited by Digsy; 08-30-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Old 07-31-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsy View Post
What is the second picture?
Not sure what it is. I've had it for about 20 years. First 15 or so it was on the walkway leading to my front door. Mostly in the shade except for late afternoon. It was so big we had to move it to the back yard. Received a lot more sun and took a couple years to get use to it. Now it's back to growing well and is about 7' tall. lol

I don't have many succulents, mostly cactus.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Digsy
humble bumble

You know, I never really liked cactus but ever since I've been spending a lot of time in the succulent/cactus section of my local nursery, I definitely had to add a few to my want list and they are starting to grow on me.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Digsy

It looks like you may have burned your first plant by moving it outdoors to full sunlight too quickly. I've learned this the hard way many times.

Check out Uebelmannia pectinifera for a very nice looking cacti. http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/UEB...ectinifera.htm This is one cactus that grows in the light shade of grasses in Minas Gerais state in Brazil and really does not do well in full unfiltered sunlight here in NJ.

Fresh.Salty's second plant is a Euphorbia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia I didn't look up the species as there are so many. They grow in southern Africa and Madagascar. Many of them are very poisonous if you get the sap on your skin. Many are really interesting looking. Many different growth forms in this genus. Crown of Thorns and Poinsettia are both Euphorbias.

Last edited by jerrytheplater; 07-31-2010 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: ID on Euphorbia
jerrytheplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (69/100%)

Looks good! I think your 2nd picture is Haworthia fasciata, or something pretty similar. I like the Matalea too, but I'm kind of a sucker for plants with nasty-smelling flowers (hence my addiction to the Araceae family)
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
Digsy
humble bumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytheplater View Post
Digsy

It looks like you may have burned your first plant by moving it outdoors to full sunlight too quickly. I've learned this the hard way many times.

Check out Uebelmannia pectinifera for a very nice looking cacti. http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/UEB...ectinifera.htm This is one cactus that grows in the light shade of grasses in Minas Gerais state in Brazil and really does not do well in full unfiltered sunlight here in NJ.

Fresh.Salty's second plant is a Euphorbia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia I didn't look up the species as there are so many. They grow in southern Africa and Madagascar. Many of them are very poisonous if you get the sap on your skin. Many are really interesting looking. Many different growth forms in this genus. Crown of Thorns and Poinsettia are both Euphorbias.
Thanks, I didn't realize until I started to see the burns that it probably didn't appreciate instant full sun. It doesn't seem to have affected it too much though. Pink is really becoming a predominant color with each passing day and I think it looks really nice.

The Uebelmannia pectinifera is definitely a great looking cactus. I'm going to need to take another trip to the nursery soon, although I'm finding that I may need to order plants online soon as my nursery doesn't have a lot of the plants on my wish list.

Also, thanks for the ID on the Euphorbia, those are an interesting looking species of succulent for sure. I'd really like to get more Caudiciforms, which I understand can be poisonous as well. It's a good reminder to keep them away from pets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
Looks good! I think your 2nd picture is Haworthia fasciata, or something pretty similar. I like the Matalea too, but I'm kind of a sucker for plants with nasty-smelling flowers (hence my addiction to the Araceae family)
Thanks Adam! Your original succulent/cactus thread is actually what started me on this new form of collectoritis! Haworthia fasciata does look like that might be a good ID.

I'm hoping my Matalea will pull through so I can see the smelly flower! It's not looking so great at the moment and I'm not quite sure what it needs...
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Coool! That first one looks like a little tree that you would find on an island xD Ohhh, I love Echeverias they are just so pretty. I saw some neat ones at the local garden center, but I'm too cheap/poor to pay $6+ for them. The bigger the pot they come in the more expensive... they look too small to be in a big pot or I guess they are rarer.

Like your Gasteria pillansii it would cost $9, and other interesting mimcry plants that I do not have would be around $7-9. I don't know, I just noticed they were in the same sized pots as the more expensive one which are bigger maybe around 5".

But anyways, I think my next one I want to get are a Hens and Chicks and maybe Bear Paws or some other types of Echeveria or that Aeonium that you have, it is cool looking tree like xD
Old 08-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Digsy
humble bumble

At my local nurseries, it appears that every succulent is either $5 or $10, with some more rare ones around $15 but I really hesitate when I see anything over $10, just because I'm not yet experienced enough to try my hand at anything that they claim is "ultra rare." Hens and chicks are usually relatively inexpensive, fortunately and I like the look of them as well. Don't forget to add pics to your thread when you do get them!

These are the plants I'm looking at purchasing at aridlands.com over the next few months as I have not been able to find them locally:

Turbinocarpus pseudopectinatus ssp. pseudopectinatus
Adenium swazicum
Pleiospilos nelii
Adenia glauca
Adenia venenata
Lapidaria margaretae
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
EdwardN
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
Cool

Hey guys!!!! Cacti are also Succulents, so we talk usually about cacti and OTHER succulents!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsy View Post
At my local nurseries, it appears that every succulent is either $5 or $10, with some more rare ones around $15 but I really hesitate when I see anything over $10, just because I'm not yet experienced enough to try my hand at anything that they claim is "ultra rare." Hens and chicks are usually relatively inexpensive, fortunately and I like the look of them as well. Don't forget to add pics to your thread when you do get them!

These are the plants I'm looking at purchasing at aridlands.com over the next few months as I have not been able to find them locally:

Turbinocarpus pseudopectinatus ssp. pseudopectinatus
Adenium swazicum
Pleiospilos nelii
Adenia glauca
Adenia venenata
Lapidaria margaretae
I'm not sure if you have a Home Depot in your area, but that is where I got my Pleiospilos nelii for $2.59 plus tax. Currently, all my succulents I have were from HD for $2.59, the small pots (which is also a reason why I don't want to pay $6+ lol, I know I'm cheap). There were some bigger plants for maybe a dollar or so more.

I wonder what type of Hens and Chicks I should get, the books on Succulents I borrowed say many Sempervivums can be considered Hens and Chicks, and another book said even other family of succulents can be Hens and Chicks. But all the books agree that Hens and Chicks usually refer to a Sempervivum spp.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Eden

Hen's and Chicks are usually Sempervivums and come from Europe in the mountains. They are winter hardy in NJ and most likely much further north. They can also be called "House Leek" as they have been grown on the thatched roof of houses to stop leaks.

Digsy

If you want Caudiciforms, this mail order place is a great place to shop. http://www.miles2go.com/ I have placed at least three orders here and have been fully satisfied with quality and price. Plants come bare root so you will need to pot them yourself.

Your Turbinocarpus is a great plant. Comes from Mexico in San Luis Potosi state. Loves calcium in the soil. Let it dry out well between waterings. Most have a tap root so you will need a very deep pot, but narrow in diameter. Clay is best as it dries out faster. Must have very well drained soil. Gypsum can be added to the potting mix too. It also likes it warm in the winter-temperatures in the low 50F or so.

Here's one of my Turbinocarpus blooming last year, Turbinicarpus psuedopectinatus. :

Last edited by jerrytheplater; 08-03-2010 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: Add Photo
jerrytheplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Digsy
humble bumble

Jerry, I just realized that I never replied to your post. Thanks for the info on the website, I've looked at it a few times but have not yet made an order. I keep putting it off hoping to find things locally but that's not working out. Great looking Turbinocarpus as well!

While in Santa Monica last week, I stopped in at Merrihew's Sunset Gardens (a great store by the way) and decided to grabbed a Lithops that I have not been able to find in Seattle. I could have spent a lot of money at this little shop as they had a pretty large selection of succulents.

This is the current state of my Matelea cyclophylla...anyone think there's any possible way it will survive?

Last edited by Digsy; 08-30-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

yes. I wouldnt give up untill the stubby stalk wilts and withers. I have seen a lot of plants come back from some really sad shape.

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
ReefkprZ is offline   Reply With Quote