Changing mood. Rimless array. 180p video added 12/11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

Changing mood. Rimless array. 180p video added 12/11

*** EDIT ***
I started this thread for my what I call "100P" tank. This was custom made and for a while this was the only scaped tank I was maintaining along with a bunch of collectoritis tanks. Over time I felt the urge to replace my collectorities tanks with some scaped tanks instead. They will still be somewhat "collectoritis" since most of the plants I have in my older tanks will still go in there only that this time around I will have a layout not just a bunch of plants.

So, at this moment, I have a 90p, 75p, 60p, 45F (these are ADA...not custom mades) and a Do!Aqua Mini M. Too many to have individual threads on (at least for me), so I will instead have this one thread to cover them all with periodic updates on all of these tanks.

The transition of this thread from just the "100p" thread to a combined thread starts here.
*** EDIT ***
Inspired by Speedie's 120P, I decided to go big. I have an empty wall in my living room that is long waiting some attention as well so my plan is to setup a 100g (72 X 18 X 18) rimless on a DIY stand. This needs to be nice and slow. Light and filter is enough that I have from my 4 other 25 and 20 g tanks. Will discard 2 of them. The main thing right now is to make the stand (separate thread here) and get a custom built rimless tank.

I have been investigating on my options over the last few days and reading thru numerous posts on how large rimless tank walls failed, I decided to have mine euro braced. Initial instinct is to go DIY but I am not taking chances with testing and moving that big a tank from the construction zone to the display area. Most of all no risks with flooding my living room with 100 gallons of water.

At this moment I have nothing to post pictures with. I am getting quotes from 3 different tank builders - Miracle aquariums in Canada, Coast to Coast in NJ and a local tank builder. Got my first quote from Miracle. $980 with shipping includes 1/2" glass and 4" euro bracing. $140 extra for starphire. Not bad but the bummer is that I have to haul it (crated) from the unloading point that is a couple of miles from my home. Anyways, still 2 more quotes to come before I decide anything.

My first question: Any suggestions on these tank makers or others who make large rimless tanks?

Other questions around logistics:
1. I cannot run complicated plumbing lines in my living room. It'll be about 10' from my garden hose tap just outside the front door so I plan to keep a 50g container outside (to run a pipe and dump the water from the tank...to be used for gardening). Another 50g container will be inside the cabinet (the cabinet will have a open bottom except framing so essentially the container will be on the floor). 24 hrs before I change water, I'll fill it up from the outdoor tap and 'cure' it. Finally pump the water from the container to a tank using a submersible pump. Any potential issues you foresee? Any other ways? The only 2 other connection points for water is the kitchen faucet (not to be touched) and the powder room.

2. Euro bracing...The issue is fixing the filter inlets and outlets. Need to think about it, but is it really helpful? I do not want to cut any holes on the bottom for plumbing.

3. Dosing..I am apt with EI and plan the same but this will be my first experience doing it on a large tank. Is EI dosing ratio required to same for larger tanks (compare any given plant species in a small - 25-30g vs in 100g) with a 40-50% weekly WC or can it be lesser?

Please suggest and even vandalize my ideas if need be

Last edited by malaybiswas; 12-11-2011 at 05:39 PM..
malaybiswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
jprime84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow, sounds like a setup for fish drag racing! Who can reach the food on the other side of the tank first?
jprime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprime84 View Post
Wow, sounds like a setup for fish drag racing! Who can reach the food on the other side of the tank first?
Supported by a online betting site...today's race Cardinals vs Ambers
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

sounds awsome. How long do you think it will be before you get water in that monster?
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Sounds like an awesome build. I would like to ask what you will do in the winter when it is freezing outside for your water changes? Do you have a basement?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
sounds awsome. How long do you think it will be before you get water in that monster?
2 months at least. More like 3. I need 5-6 weeks just to get the tank delivered.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Sounds like an awesome build. I would like to ask what you will do in the winter when it is freezing outside for your water changes? Do you have a basement?
That's why the 50g under the cabinet. I can draw water from the powder room if the outside tap is inaccessible. It is actually not that bad since the tap is right beside the front door, but then again, I was in Sunny CA when I started this hobby so I have zero experience with tank maintenance issues in freezing weather. Lot to learn.

Short answer: I don't know yet
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
2 months at least. More like 3. I need 5-6 weeks just to get the tank delivered.
thats not so bad. Tom barr has a 180 gallon rimless, so you could get a bigger tank. Glass is 1" thick, i think.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
thats not so bad. Tom barr has a 180 gallon rimless, so you could get a bigger tank. Glass is 1" thick, i think.
I consulted Tom. He suggested 5/8" thickness minimum. I have asked for a revised quote with 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick glass. I had initially gravitated towards a 180P or similar but I think there is just too much logistically to consider (stand, containers, WC etc.) so I decided not to go beyond 100 (baby steps). However I wanted to reach the 6' range that normally comes with 180 or larger tanks so my choice was custom built only (for rimless that is).

Edit: Plus I don't know if I can be as efficient as Tom to fix leaks for that big a tank.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
I consulted Tom. He suggested 5/8" thickness minimum. I have asked for a revised quote with 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick glass. I had initially gravitated towards a 180P or similar but I think there is just too much logistically to consider (stand, containers, WC etc.) so I decided not to go beyond 100 (baby steps). However I wanted to reach the 6' range that normally comes with 180 or larger tanks so my choice was custom built only (for rimless that is).

Edit: Plus I don't know if I can be as efficient as Tom to fix leaks for that big a tank.
It would suck doing a 50% water changes on a 180 gallon. You new tank still will be nice though. 18D and H will be great.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
AquaCamp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Maybe try glasscages.com, they have a rimless 72X24X12 Tall w/starphire for under $600 shipped to IL.

I have picked up a couple of smaller tanks from them at fish shows and liked the tanks. Never had a rimless or bigger tank from them, but have seen some positive posts about the tanks they produce.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #12
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaCamp View Post
Maybe try glasscages.com, they have a rimless 72X24X12 Tall w/starphire for under $600 shipped to IL.

I have picked up a couple of smaller tanks from them at fish shows and liked the tanks. Never had a rimless or bigger tank from them, but have seen some positive posts about the tanks they produce.
GC was my initial preference but with the load of reviews about customer service, warranty issues and most of quality of product (I have seen pictures of their products from PT and other forum members), I am not getting my tank from them.

I respect your suggestion though and probably you had good experience, but I have built 25G rimless tanks myself. Poor workmanship and finish but lasted me over 1.5 years and still going. However I am skeptic about a 100G tank with same finish and from the pictures I have seen of GC tanks, their finishes did not seem much better than mine. So there goes my confidence. I heard very good reviews about Miracle aquarium and their custom built products so I am ok to pay more for a better quality product.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

Got a few more quotes.

Coast to Coast
- $1500 with 1/2" glass and 4" euro brace.
- $1800 with 3/4" glass and no euro brace.
Includes shipping (curbside) and no additional charge for starphire

Miracle
- $986 with 1/2" glass and 4" euro brace. $140 extra for starphire
- $1586 with 3/4" starphire without euro brace.
Includes shipping to local depot. I need to pickup.

Do these prices seem reasonable? I think the $200 difference is worth for me to get it delivered curbside instead of I having to go pick up and haul it back. EDIT: For the euro brace price, the difference is larger though and I am having second thoughts on euro brace.

Opinions?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

I overlooked the shipping price for Coast to Coast. It is $600 extra. Of course it had to be!!! The previous comparison was too good to be true.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Curious, how come you don't want the tank drilled at the bottom?
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote