5.5G Rimless River Jungle
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
AkCrimson
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

5.5G Rimless River Jungle

I picked up this 5.5G on sale...not really sure what I wanted to do with it. But I knew I wanted a smaller tank. Decided to go for a jungle/river type look. We'll see how it goes, I'm planting tonight.

Originally, I was going to put it here (at work);

But decided it would indeed be too difficult to maintain, and the light might not have fit. So It's going to go here;

Sooo my first time de-rimming a tank. It was tedious but I didn't mind. I would say took about 3 hours total. Getting every single scrap of silicone off was a PITA, but a sharp blade makes a WORLD of difference.

Got the top half off;

Finished with the other half, now it's time to paint the back.

Took 4 coats.

Oops I forgot to test if it even holds water now that I de-rimmed it!

Success!

The heater;

The substrate (a new one for me). This stuff is so ridiculously fine, the slightest movement sends it everywhere! Planting in this is a whole different ball game!

The light I will be using; 27W
http://www.verilux.com/desk-lamps/original-desk-lamp

Filter is ZooMed 501, and I really like it so far. Was hesitant to begin with but it was a good buy.

For hardscape I have some round river rocks I'm going to place down the middle to make a "riverbed". I also have a peice of wood I found that I just love but it's spruce, and I'm not sure if it will rot away or not?? Anyone ever use spruce? I'll get pics of the hardscape tonight.

For groundcover flora I've got some hairgrass and lilaeopsis. I've also got some blyxa, several crypts (wendtii, undulata, lutea, parva, walkeri) and various stemmies I could swipe from my 29. Haven't quite figured out how to arrange things, but I'll be playing with it tonight!

For fauna I've got either some CPDs that would like a species tank and/or a single male dario dario.

As far as c02 and ferts, IF i decide on them it will be DIY sugar/yeast and dry ferts. I would love to go pressurized but I just don't have the money. Also, not sure how the crypts would appreciate a high-tech tank. Anyone have crypts in high tech????
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
OiZO
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

cant wait to see more.

--
OiZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
AkCrimson
Planted Member

So I apologize for the quality, my boyfriend is borrowing the SLR at the moment! I took these with my phone.

Tinkered around a bit at lunch. Mostly wanted to get pics of the hardscape to see what you guys thought of the layout. The rocks in the middle are a sandy mess due to me stirring things about with planting.

lol, just realized that if you look reeeeally close, you can see my bird Penny in the reflection of the tank, watching me.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
AkCrimson
Planted Member

I promise I will get some good pics soon!! Okay so I planted most of everything else. I like it, but I am still not sure about the hardscape. I want to move the driftwood but it's precariously tied down and I don't want to start knocking plants out either.

I've got some hairgrass and lilaeopsis that needs planting. Do you think I should put it in this tank? Or should I leave it "open" in the front?

I also need to do some trimming on the filter tubes, they are much too long for this tank. Need to find the dremel!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
isu712
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Leave it open.
isu712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
AkCrimson
Planted Member

Having a bit of a hard time getting the stubborn crypts to stay in the sand! It's so fine that even the current from the filter is uprooting them. I could plant them deeper but you're not supposed to do that with crypts, are you?

Ideas?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

just plant them deep enough so that they don't uproot. they'll be fine.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks like you're off to a good start.

Personally, I'd remove some (or most) of the leafy plants in the background and plant hairgrass there instead. Right now it looks a little heavy.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
Erin8D
Algae Grower

It looks stunning! I would leave everything how it is atm(: What are the other two tanks?
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Erin8D
Algae Grower

That looks really nice so far. I've been searching around for some inspiration for my 6.6 gall bookshelf :P FOUND IT!! Keep up the good work.
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
spunjin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

It looks good. I agree with TLE041. Use midground plants as background plants in that 10" high tank. Small crypts. or hair grass would be better than leafy plants like swords or aponos.
spunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
AkCrimson
Planted Member

The sword and wendtii are fillers until I can find something I like better. They are extras from the other tank.

Believe it or not, the hairgrass pot I found at Wal Mart, and I've never seen another one anywhere in town. I don't have enough hairgrass yet. I've been keeping an eye out for other plants. MOST of the pet stores here carry misc. crypts and anacharis.

At any rate, I am more of a fan of the leafy jungle look for this tank. I don't want stems in it for sure. But I'm not quite happy with it yet. The stuff in the back is going to get too large, I need something smaller...I have some crypt. parva I could pull from my 29, do you think that would look okay???

Put my 6 CPDs in there this weekend, and they are already doin the booty dance =D Still debating on whether or not I'll put my badis in there...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
Damian
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Hi this looks great. And from what I understand DHG tends to grow fast. I could be mistaken. A blyxa "bush" behind that driftwood in my opinion would look great. I have been on a blyxa high. I used it to make a "wall" in my 2.5. Good start.
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

looks nice, however i think HG in the back would give it such a softer, and less cloustrophobic (sp?) feel.
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
AkCrimson
Planted Member

WELL I just ordered some HG for the 29 from theblondskeleton so if I have leftovers I shall try it and see how it looks!

Oh God it will be such a pain to plant...without upsetting my poor precariously balanced driftwood...and this stupid light substrate....oh....what am I getting myself into!!! *wimper*