ADA 90-P 'Forest Edge'
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

ADA 90-P 'Forest Edge'

Welp, the day has finally come to start my journal...I can't believe it's finally here! Real, quick, I just want to thank: LeftC for all his help on co2, Jason Baliban for his amazing website, curtis (lyretailsaquarium.com) for all his help and all the hosts of others who wrote journals detailing there failures and successes. Journals of note: Mr JG's 40g, CL's original 48g, Surje's 120-p, and Unirdna's 90-P. But many more have inspired me.

My goal is to make a scape that is both objectively stunning and most importantly subjectively stunning as well and after hundreds of sketches while waiting for the money/equipment to accumulate, the 'Forest Edge' concept may be the winner. We'll see.

Without further ado...the stand:

Dad and friend helping me with the Formica...

Finished product...

Finished product in the home...

Equipment:

Nova Extreme 4x39 watt (2xGeissman Aqua-flora & 2xGeissman Midday)
Marine Pinpoint Controller w/ PH probe
Filters: Eheim 2217 and Cascade 1000
Aquamedic Reactor 1000
CO2: Victor Reg with Sol, 20# Tank, Awesome Parker Needle Valve & JBJ Bubble Counter

Hydor Inline 300w heater
aquariumplant.com's ph probe inline holder
Dry Ferts

All that is needed is tank (about to be ordered), hardscape and substrate.

Thanks again for all those who's proverbial milk I borrowed, hopefully the cheese at least will come from me. I hope this tank journal is as interesting as those I've read and please give me feedback as I set up and begin designing the hard scape.

The Plant List:
Rotala Rotundifolia
Microsorum pteropus
E. Tenellus
DHG
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Glossostigma
Fissidens Nobilis
Christmas Moss

Last edited by Dan the Man; 01-22-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Lycosa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

wow.. that stand looks great! Your list of hardware choices is pretty impressive too.. going to be a great setup.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks like you have got it all together. the stand looks great

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
rushr
Planted Member

I like the stand as well and the formica. It must make it scratch and water resistant (Thanks for the good idea ).

It seems like it'll be a cool tank. Can't wait to see the scape. :thumbs up:
rushr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
dizzle 21
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i love the stand looks just like JB's. i want to make one. what was the cost?
dizzle 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Dang, that stand is a plywood beast. Even the doors are 2 ply. Awesome job so far. Nice equipment too. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

That thing is bombproof! No sleepless nights for you...Can't wait to see the 'scape!
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
That thing is bombproof! No sleepless nights for you...Can't wait to see the 'scape!
That's what i need, a bombproof stand to put a pressurized co2 tank in. Maybe that'll convince my parents.

Great job with that stand. Is the formica hard to cut? I hear it's really sharp?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
wow.. that stand looks great! Your list of hardware choices is pretty impressive too.. going to be a great setup.
Thanks! That comes from just taking a year and saving and learning without making purchases. I remember when I first started learning about planted tanks back in August I was sold out on the Red Sea Co2 system, lol.

Quote:
looks like you have got it all together. the stand looks great
Thanks. Had tons of help too.

Quote:
i love the stand looks just like JB's. i want to make one. what was the cost?
The cost is substantial, especially when you consider that I borrowed my dad's tools so I didn't have to purchase those. ADA sells there version of this stand for $900 not including shipping. I used to think that price was ridiculous. Anyway check out Jason Baliban's website and search articles for more info about the stand.

Quote:
Dang, that stand is a plywood beast. Even the doors are 2 ply. Awesome job so far. Nice equipment too. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress
Yeah it's heavy as crap too. Thanks for the compliment, as I said I had tons of help. Unfortunately, even after I purchase the tank and substrate it's going to be while before I can get hardscape materials.

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
That's what i need, a bombproof stand to put a pressurized co2 tank in. Maybe that'll convince my parents.
Yeah, been reading about your co2 denial issues. Sorry about that bro.

Quote:
Great job with that stand. Is the formica hard to cut? I hear it's really sharp?
Thanks! It is very sharp...you must be careful when using it. It is easy to cut but you must have a router.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a stand like this one (though probably better since I built the thing) the guy who helped me with the formica is a master cabinet maker and will build these ADA style cabinets for roughly $650. I said I'd advertise for him since he helped me as a favor to my dad. Just let me know...you'd have to work out shipping with him.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, my 90-P came in last week and it's by far the most gorgeous tank I've ever owned. Just sitting there empty it's still beautiful...I find myself just staring at it Anyway, had my birthday last Sunday so I've got some more money that I'm allowed to spend on this bad boy. I've got about $177 left after I had to make a custom glass shield for my nova extreme and filled my 20# tank for $31.

I still have to buy some clear tubing and some brackets for my ph probe holder and aquamedic reactor 1000. That should be cheap though. I'm debating on waiting a little longer...say a month and getting all me hardscape and substrate at once from various sites. As of right now i could only buy my substrate and part of my hardscape. For substrate I plan on using Aquasoil amazonia. For my tank it would take about $106 including shipping. So that's where I'm at and here are some pics...

Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
deleted_user_6
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

How much did that parker NV set you back(if you don't mind me asking)?
What model is it?

Love the stand, and pretty much all the hardware too
The stand looks pretty beefy underneath. Is it just me, or is that really thick plywood?
deleted_user_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
How much did that parker NV set you back(if you don't mind me asking)?
What model is it?
It's a Parker Metering Valve and the part number is 2F-H3L-V-SS-TC and it has the most revolutions per turn (15) that I've seen on a needle valve. I paid around $80 for it since the ideal one on Rex's website was $72 and this one is a little prettier, more revolutions and stainless. Plus, unlike most other needle valves, this claims it can hold direst tank pressure (though I'm not going to see if they are right).

Quote:
Love the stand, and pretty much all the hardware too
The stand looks pretty beefy underneath. Is it just me, or is that really thick plywood?
Thanks! It's actually 3/4" plywood that's been double plied with water proof wood glue and screws. I live in a 2nd floor apartment so I decided to take no chances.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/100%)

Very nice setup you got started. That stand really is sweet. If this is your first planted tank, you sure know how to start with a bang. Most of us start with a 10gallon and neon colored gravel. haha

What do you plan to do with your hardscape? From the sound of "Forest Edge" and the tanks you listed as inspiration, I would guess a driftwood setup.

PS- love the picture of all the guys standing around, drinkin beer and workin in the woodshop. Thats a manly picture if I've ever seen one.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Very nice setup you got started. That stand really is sweet. If this is your first planted tank, you sure know how to start with a bang. Most of us start with a 10gallon and neon colored gravel. haha

What do you plan to do with your hardscape? From the sound of "Forest Edge" and the tanks you listed as inspiration, I would guess a driftwood setup.

PS- love the picture of all the guys standing around, drinkin beer and workin in the woodshop. Thats a manly picture if I've ever seen one.
Thanks Zeldar, since my wife and I made a commitment to stay debt free I've had to simply save and save and save, which has afforded me time to pour over various equipment reviews, articles, forums and journals until I saved up enough. It was quite an interesting evolution.

My goal with this tank is to compete. I have a concept I've drawn many times and it too has evolved. Here's an earlier drawing that I sent to Steve Lo of aquaforestaquarium.com to give him an idea of the stone sizes I wanted:

Quote:
Those guys helped me tons with the stand that took me like 40 hours of solid work over the course of 4 months.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a pic of the setup inside the cabinet:

I also might have a problem. I have seen some DIY scapers hang a light inches above the stand in order to increase the light spread over the bottom of the tank. But my nova exteme 4 x 39" is so narrow that even haning it might not be enough:

So should I just get another light to sit on top of the front part of the tank (which I don't mind too much even though it sort of defeats the purpose of a rimless tank) or if I raise it a few inches would it be adequate?

Thanks guys for your input.

One other thing. I just ordered my substrate: 3 bags of Amazonia and one small bag of Orinoco sand I believe.

So my Aquasoil Amazonia arrived today and it was bittersweet. Although this marks a major milestone in the progress of getting this setup ready for competing, I have another waiting game before I get the hardscape materials. So in the bags it will stay for about a month or two until my spending money builds back up again. I don't mind the wait too much though. It will afford me more time to learn and hone my layout and hopefully make this a smooth first planted tank. Thanks for your comments and for bearing with me on the slow progression.

Last edited by Dan the Man; 08-17-2010 at 03:31 AM..