4/13 Cardinals survived. Bought Rasbora Hets on Thursday, now 9/15 left (rant) ...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

4/13 Cardinals survived. Bought Rasbora Hets on Thursday, now 9/15 left (rant) ...

and I couldn't be more certain that it's not my tank. In fact, Petown (LFS in SoCal where I bought them) said on the phone that they've lost many Rasboras in this batch.

2 more Raboras look like they're about to go "ventrals-up."

The Cardinals were from Tong's in Fountain Valley, CA.

This is really frustrating. I know Cardinals can be dicey, but now the Rasboras? Ugh! The only recent fish purchase that hasn't had any attrition was my Otocinclus purchase (2 of them) from ... Petsmart!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

... And you've tested your water and everything to make sure it's not water chemistry that is to blame?
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
--------------------------------------------------
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I hope you saved your receipts! The good thing is you can probably take them all back, even if you've frozen them. I've had pretty luck with my new cardinals and rummynosed. By the ways, I'm a huge fan of just acclimating temperature and not adding water to the bag every 10 minutes. I just add the fish (not the bag water) to my new tank if I can't quarantine them. Haven't lost a fish since I started doing that...and none have been sick (knock on wood).
Old 10-23-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

Did you put them in quarantine or straight into your tank? Ive lost 30 cardinals once because i put them straight into my main tank (i dripped in too). I had two lots of 10 that i quarantined and did a 3 hour drip. None died. Quarantine is good because they often come in stressed or a bit on the starved side. The clean tank free of streess is good for them to acclimate and get use to the food you feed them. i use chopped up bloodworms to fatten them up and get them eating. then i get them use to eating dry foods. Once they are eating well and active i put them into my main tank.Ive done this twice with good results. Losing 30 cardinals puts a big dent in your wallet.
Im sure this will work with rasboras too.
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
pphx459
Planted Tank Obsessed

That sucks loosing so many fish. If you want to recover them without a huge hit to your wallet go to Jan's Fish in Rosmead - Rasbora's are 99 cents and they've been there for quite awhile. I'm pretty sure they won't die on you.
Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
pphx459 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2004, 12:03 AM   #6
John P.
Wannabe Guru

Great ideas everyone--thanks. I did the good ole drip routine, since my pH is different than tap (CO2, carbonic acid).

I just returned from Petown, and they did give me a credit. They didn't even check the bag of carcasses that I brought. Good stuff.

Looks like I'll just wait. One of my problems has been buying fish the day after the store receives them. This simply puts the risk of loss on me. Unfortunately, there aren't enough decent stores around that would keep either Cardinals or Ras Hets in enough supply to last long enough to allow for the store taking the risk. Well, there's one place, but the fish looked so washed out (probably due to improper temp)--and a few had traces of ich--that I passed.

Oh well.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:38 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

The cardinals I can see... that is not uncommon but the rasbora's is surprising. At least they took them back with no hassle's. Dont lose the faith, just get another batch and hope for the best...before long you will have your numbers
Old 10-24-2004, 02:17 AM   #8
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I've lost bunches and bunches of cardinals too. Lost a bunch of rummynose also. Good suggestions in the thread. I'm just gonna have to find a way to get a quaranteen tank going somewhere.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:16 AM   #9
John P.
Wannabe Guru

Oh, woops, I guess I should've been a little more clear--the Cardinals were purchased around one month ago. The Ras Hets on Thursday!

Still at 8/15 & holding (as of right now).
Old 10-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #10
shalu
Wannabe Guru

I have purchased groups of cardinals quite a few times from different sources, with different results. The first few times, I always got about two thirds mortality rate, including once from a very reputable LFS using the drip method. Then I bought from FairLakes Discus Palace in San Francisco, all survived, I just dumped them into my tank, also I made sure they only put a few per bag to minimize ammonia problem during the drive home.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2004, 08:08 AM   #11
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

Yeah I got mine at Fairylake discus in SF. I am 34/36 from that place. The ones I got from Ocean all died. They were still not fully acclimated to our water i guess as compared to the wild habitat. They were a bit thin compared to Fairy's but I didn't do a full drip and quarantine for those guys.
All around the fairy ones seem stronger. Maybe because they are fed live BBS too and are held in the tanks for a longer time.
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #12
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Ray, seems that we have the same experience. The "cardinals from reputable LFS with drip method" I talked about was also Ocean Aquarium: 7/21 survived. I also bought a few times from 6th Ave Aquarium in SF. The store usually have fish in poor condition but dirt cheap: cardinals/rummy nose 6 for $5, I always lose 2/3 cardinals and 50% rummy nose from that place. FairyLakes will be the only place I go for Cardinals and RummyNose.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2004, 10:21 PM   #13
odamone
Algae Grower

I just bought some cardinals and am on my fourth day with them. I'm at 9/12 and will likely lose another one or two. I chose not to quarantine because changing water conditions stress them so much. Am I missing something -- I mean, from the wild to the wholesaler to the store to my quarantine tank to my main tank -- seems like a lot of moving and I might as well cut out one of the moves. And if they would die in my main tank they would die in my quarantine tank, so I see no benefit. (ignoring the introduction of new diseases to existing fish which didn't apply in this case).

Also, can some one explain the drip method?
--> DIY CO2 (hired help for mouth to straw to tank application) <--
odamone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #14
John P.
Wannabe Guru

The drip method is essentially adding aquarium water to the bags over a protracted amount of time ... slowly.

I may try the squirt & dump method next time. I've added a small amount of Seachem Prime each time I've brought new arrivals home, but I always floated the bags.

FWIW, I lost 2 more HRs last night ... now I'm at 5. Amazingly sad. I've noticed fungus-like growths on some of their mouths and fins. I began dosing Pimafix today. I hope that helps.

One thing to note about the harlequins behaviour ... they school much tighter in this group of 5 than they did before. My tank is 36" long.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
John P.
Wannabe Guru

As of this morning ... 1 more fatality, 1 more about to check out. Soon will be @ 3/15 survival.

The affected fish have cottony mouths & swim with their mouths gaping open.

Continuing to dose the Pimafix ... so far the Cardinals (4), Otos (2), and Cherry Shrimp (~6?) seem unaffected by the affliction and the Pimafix.

In all my years of fishkeeping, I've never had this happen (let alone, twice).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.