Buying Fertilizer from garden supply store or agriculture company
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
q8vw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Buying Fertilizer from garden supply store or agriculture company

Hello everyone,

I tried to order online from GLA, but they cannot ship outside the US, (Potassium Nitrate). Also the shipping for 1 lb costs 10 dollar to Kuwait.

I Live in Kuwait, And I went to our fertilizer manufactures and asked about the pure (Potassium Nitrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate) And the trace elements (Micro).

My Question is it safe to use in the aquarium? N-P-K Ratio like 20-0-10, Is there any special ratio that i should buy or ask for? Even the trace elements i saw many there is many types.

I Found the fertilizers comes in 50lb bag for 50$ Dollar, i think it's a good price but, i want to make sure that it's safe to use in the aquarium.

I'm Running 578 watt fixture, 2x 250w HQI (5100K) + 2x 39w (6500K) T5 HO, Total is 4.5 WPG, on 128 gallon my tank height is 28", Lights running 6 hours/day With Rex's Grigg Co2 Inline Reactor on Rena XP3 + Full Tunze Ph - Co2 Controller System.

My Plants are stunted now And I've had many green water algae issue, because of the low nutrients in the water. For High Tech I need to dose NPK + Traces. Please need help with the fertilizer to choice.

Thanks.
Yours,

Last edited by q8vw; 12-25-2010 at 11:56 AM..
q8vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

Have you tried aquariumfertilizer.com? They may be able to help.

You have to be really careful about garden variety(if that's the fert you found) fertilizer. Alot of them have ammonia or urea in them. That's usually where the N comes from. There is alot of substitutes that can be used for ferts.

Kno3 = greenlight stump remover
po4 = fleet enema

Of course, I don't know of any substitutes that you could find in your part of the world. Another option, is hydroponics. If you have a hydroponics store around you, they may be of some help also.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

+1 to what Nokturnalkid said. In addition:

Part of the appeal of dry ferts is getting the N/P/K/Micros separately, so you can adjust the ratios as needed.

Potassium nitrate is also known as saltpeter/saltpetre; but that name can also refer to sodium nitrate, so double-check if you find it. Other uses include food preservation and fireworks. They used to sell it in drugstores here, so it may have a medicinal use as well.

Maybe that will help you find a source, if no one is able to give a more specific answer.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Actually no one in the US will ship KNO3 outside the US against regulations. KNO3- Potassium Nitrate can be used in explosives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
q8vw
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Actually no one in the US will ship KNO3 outside the US against regulations. KNO3- Potassium Nitrate can be used in explosives.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to find it in my country so i can use it as fertilizer for my fish tank and grow my plants.

Trying to find it in the garden supply stores. i found them but I'm not sure if i can use them for tank.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
q8vw
Algae Grower

When I asked the engineer that works in the garden supply store, exactly its a big shop that sells fertilizers for farms about the fertilizer i asked about KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4. he gave the the name of it.

I think it's free of Ammonia/Ammonium or Urea.

I can go double check, if there is nothing in it of ammonia/urea and it's pure KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4.

Should i get it? and give it a try? any suggestions about the NPK Ratio?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Aquatic plant fertilizing ratios could be derived from the recommended doses in the first sticky, first page, above. As I recall, you would want roughly 1/4 as much phosphate as nitrate, with potassium being roughly as much as the nitrate.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

If you could copy down the exact content label and post it here we could look it over and give a thumbs up or down.

Another possibility is fertilizer sticks. In the USA the common brand is Jobe's. Although they contain a form of nitrogen that is undesirable in water it works okay if stuck in the substrate. In fact you might be able to mix the fertilizer you can find with clay or put into gel caps and bury those in the substrate if it turns out to have ammonia or urea as the nitrogen source.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
q8vw
Algae Grower

The gel caps is a good idea, but i think what i found is a pure KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4. Which they sell it for farms. the guy who works in the shop is an engineer.

Tomorrow is Friday (All shops are closed) But on Saturday i will go and get the KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4.

And i will post them up here with the NPK Ratio, also i will take a photo of the trace elements box, and post it here.

Thanks everyone for making me learn and things move forward.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Lower your lights by half and make your life easier. The plants will still grow.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
q8vw
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Lower your lights by half and make your life easier. The plants will still grow.
I Wish, but I can't, Also the tank height is 70cm about 27", its Arcadia Fixture made in UK with 2x 250w HQI, 2x 39w T5. I can just turn of the both of HQI or T5 off, Because it's connected to a built in timer on the fixture it self.

I just keep the HQI on for 6 hours, i need NPK fertilizer to keep the Algae spikes down.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

You should be able to raise the light fixture, by hanging it over the tank. I don't know how long the tank is, or what the front to back depth is, so it is hard to know if just the two T5HO bulbs will give uniform light over the whole substrate. If the bulbs are just 2 or 3 inches apart they will give you medium light by themselves, right under the bulbs, with the bulbs located about 28 inches from the substrate The HQI bulbs should give more than enough light even if hanging 20 inches above the tank.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yes, raising the lights will help. The real issue with your algae problem is your light intensity is too much.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
q8vw
Algae Grower

My tank dimensions are 47x23x33 and the light fixture is above the water surface about 10"

There is 12" between each T5HO, But 2x 29w isn't enough for 128 gallon, and 33" height.

My water was going green because I was dosing Micro fertilizer With Co2 and i don't have (NPK) yet. Also my plants was growing first and now its stunt because of the NPK. plants like (Pearl Grass) - Hemianthus micranthemoides. Also I want to grow HC but didn't find any in my country yet.

And of what I've read if i have 4wpg. 4 x 6 hours = 24wpg everyday, that what the plants need when going high tech.

Tomorrow morning i will get the NPK and see how things will move.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	21650  

Name:	mini-IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	21651  

Name:	mini-IMG_0780.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	21652  

Old 06-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
q8vw
Algae Grower

I Bought the Potassium Nitrate, and Pottasium Sulphate today, but didn't find the Mono Potassium Phosphate here, the engineer that works in agriculture company told me that it can be found in a near by country (Saudi Arabia) I have to drive to there and get it.

The two bags each is 25Kg (55lb) is 25 Kuwaiti dinars = 85 U.S. dollars

I will start dosing using EI Method and see what will happen.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	21673  

Name:	mini-IMG_0784.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	21674