20l finally w/ plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

20l finally w/ plants

this will be getting water tomorrow.

using MTS w/ pool filter sand.

still not 100% sure on my lighting situation though. Right now i have two 26w CFL's, which i'm fairly certain puts me into the high light area. Especially since my substrate is rather high! much higher than i thought it'd be

i don't have a serious flora and fauna list at this time.

however i am planning stargrass on the back side of the long stretch of the wood. some kind of vallisneria in the back left corner. not sure about a carpeting plant... i would love some sort of creeping plant to come out from the left through to the right ending short of the end of the long stretch of wood and then a carpet of something to fill in the rest.

i'm also tempted to move the wood over more towards the right to follow that whole golden ratio, but then i've got to fill in with more "something" to the left if the main stump.

this tank was originally going to be for my apisto from my 55 who wasnt doing so well with getting enough food due to the tiger barbs... but i sadly didnt get this tak started in time but i am still planning on picking up a pair of apisto for this tank when it's finished.

i am also considering hatchet fish, despite them being jumpers... so i was tempted to make a screen to go over top.

the lights are temporary... i need a more attractive solution, but i'll get there once i figure out my lighting requirements. i would love to do an LED light on the bottom of a shelving unit of some sort but i don't have the time or funds to build the system :/ would look much cleaner though.

i will probably run co2. i have another bottle and parts on the way to finish my second regulator to replace the Milwaukee on the 55, so this tank may get that single stage.

and now for the meager pictures

Last edited by scapegoat; 09-07-2011 at 11:08 PM..
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Fuzz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Really neat piece of wood. I agree about moving it over right a bit it is a little far to the side, and maybe you could use some rocks or bushy stem plants to fill in the left area if it feels too open. I like how it's right under your TV, that's gonna be cool!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really neat piece of wood. I agree about moving it over right a bit it is a little far to the side, and maybe you could use some rocks or bushy stem plants to fill in the left area if it feels too open. I like how it's right under your TV, that's gonna be cool!
yeah, i've been going back and forth over it and moved it over and like it much better... no pics yet though. i'll have to look a bit harder at plants now to see what i want there.

I'll fill the tank tomorrow and get the sunsun set up w/ some media from the 55g and some drift wood w/ moss on it to get the bacteria going strong.

the wood came from an LFS, as soon as i saw it i knew i had to have it. $35 well spent!

The tv isnt even really done haha. I still need to run the wiring behind it and i would love to run an hdmi to it from a computer... or maybe build a small computer to wire to the network to run media through...
Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
PUMPKINHEAD
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Very nice wood!! Is it just me or does it not look like a scary face on the right side? LOL!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice stump! That's a whole lot of light though. Each one of those lamps with 26w cfl's puts out 100+ par each. That's if they were directly above. Yours are slightly tilted so I'm not sure how that affects things. But I assume it's still a lot of light. Try the 14w cfl's first.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
Nice stump! That's a whole lot of light though. Each one of those lamps with 26w cfl's puts out 100+ par each. That's if they were directly above. Yours are slightly tilted so I'm not sure how that affects things. But I assume it's still a lot of light. Try the 14w cfl's first.
i agree that its a lot of light. and i hate how it spreads. a single bulb at an angle on my 10g was enough light to keep things growing... but i think the plants ate all the nutrients due to fast growth and i lost an entire species

i'm going to take a look at some smaller t5ho units and see if i can get a smaller single bulb for high light and probably just move it up for some medium light till i get the co2 set up.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

just a few more pictures. wood moved over slightly and filled with water and the sunsun flowing

and an "area shot"

Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
cervantesmx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking good. That stump looks great. Good luck.
cervantesmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
piffy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dude! You and I had the same idea for lighting on the 20L xD

piffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

That stump is horrible, ghastly even. I PM'ed you my address so you can ship it to me and no, I will not pay one thin dime in shipping for that awful piece of wood!! ;-)
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
reybie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)

Something about lights that close to water scares me.

~
reybie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

soooo crap.

the stand isnt cutting it. it is bowing slightly in the center. there is about a 1mm separation from the bottom of the trim on the front and back in the center. As i said, it's very slight but i'm not going to trust this thing for long term placement.

so now most of the water is out... tomorrow i'm heading to lowes to pick up a shelf bracket... like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_48989-46882-...d|1&facetInfo= or http://www.lowes.com/pd_328625-28542...3D4&facetInfo= so i can spread more of the load to the legs since the tank is not sitting over the legs as is.

i'll also pick up another piece of wood sit on the current top to act as another top and get more wood on there to further spread the load out.

i'm not so concerned with this item of furniture giving since i had a 45g on it for years, i'm more concerned with unequal pressure on the glass. the stand isnt even meant for fish tanks... it's from pier 1 and is probably meant to handle a vase and some car keys lol.

so it'll get some reinforcing done and i'll be trying to get the top leveled out better tomorrow so i can fill it back up with water. sucks cause i just got done putting the stargrass in.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

tank stand built and now in use. next up... lights and co2.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Nice job on the stand! Now get back to work on that tank..
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Nice job on the stand! Now get back to work on that tank..
waiting on some 24v dc adapters for the mouse solenoid on my d/s unit... if i had that this tank would be getting shot full of co2. I have star grass in there now behind the long section of stump that was hit a little hard from sitting in still water for a week hoping it comes back strong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.