72g Bowfront Planted Community *56K*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
speedoflife
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

72g Bowfront Planted Community *56K*

Ok well I will take a stab at this journal thing.
This is my second tank, however it's my first planted tank. I've been in this money pit, er hobby for 3 years now. I'm young and still learning so feel free to teach! I had a 29g up until a month ago. Now onto my new tank.
I got this tank off of craigslist for cheap ($150 for tank, stand, glass lid, and fluorescent fixture), as it was leaking pretty badly. I resealed the bottom of the tank and it's good as new. It's filled with high quality gravel from Lowes ($9 total). The background is a styrofoam/concrete creation. The rocks are from some creeks and my backyard. The driftwood is from a LFS I visited in Asheville, NC. Specs at startup:

Equipment
Eheim 2217
Azoo Titanium 300 watt heater
Marineland Double Bright LED 48"-60" & 6500K 40 watt T12 & 24" 10000K T5NO
*Paintball CO2 8 hrs/day
*Dosing micros (Flourish) and KNO3

Fish
Longfin Zebra Danios (my personally bred 2nd generation)
Bushynose Pleco
Redtailed Black Shark
Neon Tetra
Neon Dwarf Gourami
*Otocinclus
*German Blue Ram

Plants
Java moss
Java fern (sort of)
Watersprite
*Amazon Sword
*Wisteria
*Pennywort
*Hornwort

I plan on adding in some Amazon Sword and possibly Hornwort soon. The tank is newly setup so excuse the bareness. Some rocks were put in the old tank, so they have a nice, natural algae cover. The new rocks don't. That will even out in time. The background will also be covered in time, making it look more natural. I will let some algae grow on the driftwood, but not much.
Also, I am considering adding in CO2. Later on that. I dose Flourish for now. I am open to any and all criticism. It's hard to hurt my feelings so don't hold back. I'll include a video as well to see the actual brightness of the light.

This pictures is just to show what transformation a tank can undergo over time.

VIDEO

*text = update since original

July 1, 2011

July 13, 2011

July 24, 2011

September 2, 2011

Last edited by speedoflife; 09-02-2011 at 05:51 AM..
speedoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Got paintball CO2 hooked up and added a baby Amazon Sword, some Pennywort, some Wisteria (all thanks to h2oaggie!),and finally got a thermometer. I also built a Rex Grigg reactor and put it on the intake of my filter. Works great. A vert small "trickling" sound, but it is actually nice. I got some pictures of my cabinet. Yes, it's a mess, but nobody but me ever sees it anyways.
I'll get pictures of the tank when it gets dark out.

But where's the reactor? Ziptie'd to the back of the middle brace. It adds height (helps with the siphoning effect of the filter) and hides it completely.

speedoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Not really and update, just the pictures of the tank as it is now. I've thinned out the watersprite and got everything about where I want it for now. The game of waiting, dosing, and growing (hopefully) now starts. I am also considering making this tank a ropefish (reedfish) tank with 3 or 4 of them in place of the danios and tetra. Maybe? They are awesome fish. Anyway, pictures. My water isn't the clearest.....

RTBS

Check my algae

Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
WaveSurfer
Planted Member

Looks like a great start!

Is the yellowish light intentional to mimic the natural habitat? I would have preferred a whiter, brighter look personally.

You said you are young but I'm impressed at your DIY abilities with the sealing and pipings etc. Nice work!
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

How are you getting the CO2 into the reactor?

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Looks like a great start!

Is the yellowish light intentional to mimic the natural habitat? I would have preferred a whiter, brighter look personally.

You said you are young but I'm impressed at your DIY abilities with the sealing and pipings etc. Nice work!
You know, I think the yellowishness of the water is from that 2 year old under water driftwood. The white LED's are 6000K, so they do not put out a lot of yellow. It must be the tannins in my water. Maybe I'll do a big water change to see if it makes a difference. It would work for ropefish....
I've also considered adding bits of PFS over time to brighten up the substrate. As it trickled down the gravel, I'd just add more. I don't have a lot of substrate space anyway ha!
Thanks for the compliment. Young by my standards I guess (19). I've always loved DIY things. Much better than buying a shinier version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
How are you getting the CO2 into the reactor?
You caught me! I've actually got the (this is confusing) CO2 line from the tank going to ~2 inches below the top of the actual reactor. The in-line piece is utilized like this:
I drilled a hole in the VERY top of the reactor and ran a line from that hole to the in-line piece. Viola. When a pocket builds up at the top, the water that comes in through the line makes a very gentle splashing from the top of the reactor down, adding quite a bit of agitation (information gathered from sticking my ear against the reactor) to the pocket area. I can run 3-4 bps and get very, very little noise with ZERO bubbles escaping the reactor. I never have any bubbles hit the impeller, or the spray bar. It adds a very light, albeit audible, trickle to the reactor when a bubble builds up, but it is actually rather peaceful. The 100% silent tank is eerie in a way. You can't hear the trickle over an A/C vent, talking, or the TV.
I tried injecting the CO2 into the inline device, but I just changed over to the original design because I felt like it. It worked absolutely fine, but I feel as though I got a larger bubble pocket that way, and I had to raise the tank off of the floor because my line wouldn't reach.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
WaveSurfer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflife View Post
You know, I think the yellowishness of the water is from that 2 year old under water driftwood. The white LED's are 6000K, so they do not put out a lot of yellow. It must be the tannins in my water. Maybe I'll do a big water change to see if it makes a difference. It would work for ropefish....
I've also considered adding bits of PFS over time to brighten up the substrate. As it trickled down the gravel, I'd just add more. I don't have a lot of substrate space anyway ha!
Thanks for the compliment. Young by my standards I guess (19). I've always loved DIY things. Much better than buying a shinier version.
I see.... My shrimp tank is somewhat having the yellowish effect too, though I'm using a 6500K and 10000K tube. I thought it was due to the rocks so I removed them yesterday. The tank looks a little whiter now but still yellowish in general. Perhaps it's the gravel which I can't do much about.

On the bright side, the yellowish tint in your tank makes it look natural.

I'm bad at DIYing stuff so always end up using $$$ for the eqpt and stuff.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
I see.... My shrimp tank is somewhat having the yellowish effect too, though I'm using a 6500K and 10000K tube. I thought it was due to the rocks so I removed them yesterday. The tank looks a little whiter now but still yellowish in general. Perhaps it's the gravel which I can't do much about.

On the bright side, the yellowish tint in your tank makes it look natural.

I'm bad at DIYing stuff so always end up using $$$ for the eqpt and stuff.
You can DIY! With the internet, the easy stuff is just made so that anyone can do it with a little motivation and desire to want to work on things.
I don't really know what the yellow is from exactly, but it's also worthy of noting that it's not that yellow in person. I went back and tortured the fish just now by cutting the light back on and looking at the picture and the tank side by side. The pictures makes it look almost twice as "yellowish." It could never be my high quality 6 megapixel camera..... (my camera sucks - it's about 5 years old and pretty low quality). Heck, my phone almost has a better camera on it
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
WaveSurfer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflife View Post
You can DIY! With the internet, the easy stuff is just made so that anyone can do it with a little motivation and desire to want to work on things.
I don't really know what the yellow is from exactly, but it's also worthy of noting that it's not that yellow in person. I went back and tortured the fish just now by cutting the light back on and looking at the picture and the tank side by side. The pictures makes it look almost twice as "yellowish." It could never be my high quality 6 megapixel camera..... (my camera sucks - it's about 5 years old and pretty low quality). Heck, my phone almost has a better camera on it
I see. The most important thing is that it's comfortable and aesthetically pleasing to your eyes.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Just a boring update. Not a lot has changed. Got 5 otos and they have completely cleaned my plants. The difference is beyond amazing; they removed ALL of the diatoms that were covering my wisteria and pennywort. Great fish! I also got a pair of GBRs. What awesome fish, I really love them. And h2oaggie came through again and gave me some more pennywort and a huge Amazon sword. I hope they stay healthy and continue to grow! Things are starting to sort of fill in, slowly but surely.These were taken with the LED fixture and the 40 watt 6500K on. On to pictures:

PS - Do I have a male and female GBR?

Male???

Female???

Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
speedoflife
Algae Grower

And my GBRs bred today! I doubt the fry will live, and I have no extra tanks. It's fine with me, however, because it shows me they are nice and happy. I've only had them for 3 days! I have a video of them spawning if anyone is interested (fish pr0n oh no!). The egg clutch is much larger than this, I just took the picture early on. Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #12
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank is looking great. Wish I had picked up some blue rams when they had them!
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Thanks man! You should post up a journal. It's awesome to compare the tank over time.
They might still have them. There was a pair or two left when I picked mine up, and the girl that worked there said that the special would be going on another for a few more weeks (aka they will get more shipments in). They are very, very healthy right now and colorful. They're at Petsmart.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
lnstevens
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I want to know what that background is. I'm considering a 72 Gallon bowfront myself. I love the bowfront look.

This is a good looking tank. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
lnstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
speedoflife
Algae Grower

Thank you lnstevens. The background is very simple. Grab some foamboard from Lowes/Home Depot, cut it up, silicone the pieces together, and coat it with concrete. Use QUICK SETTING QUIKRETE. Do NOT use Hydraulic (water stopping) Quikcrete. Just regular old quick set will work perfectly. Then color it to your liking (I used some Buff and Charcoal mix). I personally like it. It's kind of a hit or miss thing, but as the algae grows on it, I like it more and more. Make it in two pieces to fit in the tank. The tank is amazing. The tank is incredibly hard to photograph, but it looks much better in person. The bowfront effect makes it look larger than it is, but it makes it look stretched out in photographs.

I'll keep posting up pictures as the plants growing in. LEDs and pretty low/inconsistent CO2 give slow growth, but the plants are alive so I'm happy.

PS - Just ordered a Koralia Evo 750, as I simply don't have enough flow for a 4 foot tank (and no way to induce surface agitation during the night)... The danios should love it!
Bonus:

Wisteria fully "opened up" (it closes at night, which is when I take pictures usually).