Lighting for a 30 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Leichty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for a 30 gallon tank

I'm finding this sight helpful. I got me a 30 gallon at a garage sale for $8.00. I couldn't of found one cheaper without them giving me one. I hear that lighting is highly important, What would you recommend on a budget. It did not have a pump or filter, but it dose have one of those under the gravel deals . W hat kind of filter system would you recommend on a budget. I want to put plants and fish in it. There is gravel in it what else would I need and how to apply it. Thanks . I was a person who just had a little tank with plastic plants and threw some fish in , so now I want to do it right but I'm on a budget. Thank you guys..
Leichty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Personally, if your goal is a low tech setup, I'd get one of these Coralife T5NOs (which I seem to recommend right and left, I need to hit up these guys for a commission or something! ) http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight30

Or if you're handy with electrical DIY (which I'm not) then you could probably make your own T8 or T5 fixture from parts found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I'd go with 3 rows of bulbs if you go with T8, but 2 rows should be fine with T5.

For filter I'd go with an AquaClear 50 or 70 HOB.

Cheap substrate options (in order of my own preference) include:

-mineralized topsoil (see the sticky at the top of the substrate forum),
-Turface (which can be a little tricky to find and you also have to buy in bulk- see also the substrate forum),
-Miracle Gro Organic potting soil capped with some other substrate,
-pool filter sand,
-pea gravel
-some other DIY options... see also the substrate forum!
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Byron
Algae Grower

For light, one T8 tube is sufficient. For a filter, I would use a simple sponge and air pump on anything under a 50g. Plain aquarium gravel can be bought in bulk, or from a landscape/stone place; I paid 75 cents for a 2g pail which will do a 20g, double that for a 30g, can't get much cheaper than that. To illustrate, the attached photo is my present 33g with a sponge filter and one T8 20w full spectrum tube and using that cheap gravel. Plants are growing like weeds.

Byron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33g May 22-10.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	21444  

Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Leichty
Algae Grower

Thank you guys for giving me these great ideas.. They are very helpful. that is a beautiful aquarium you have..
Leichty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
wantsome
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have the coarlife t5 n.o. and I think its too bright I'm having problems with algae. As a beginner I'd go with the above stated 1 t8 bulb.

I had to defuse my coralife light by putting paper over it to make it less bright. 1 t8 worked great on my other set up.

If your just starting out go with less light.
wantsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

@wantsome,

you sure there isn't another issue at hand causing the algae? I can't see a T5 NO fixture causing that much algae... you using any ferts?
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

IMO it's normal for just about every new tank setup to have algae outbreaks as the plants settle in. I keep a bottle of Excel on hand that I'll typically dose a few times during the first month or two. If a tank is having algae issues beyond that, then lowering light levels or the photoperiod is often the easiest thing to do. Or you can address nutrient balances... always more than one way to skin a cat! lol
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
TheVisionary78
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Or if you're handy with electrical DIY (which I'm not) then you could probably make your own T8 or T5 fixture from parts found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I'd go with 3 rows of bulbs if you go with T8, but 2 rows should be fine with T5.

I am planning on making a Youtube video on what to buy and how to build a DIY T5 aquarium lighting for 24" , 30" ,36" and 48". All you need is your current factory T8 fixture. They are real easy to gut. Once gutted there is really only three wires that need to be installed/capped. Save big money. My Flip video is on it's way so stay tuned.
TheVisionary78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
swalke2
Algae Grower

Im new here and dont want to jack this thread but I have questions...
Ive got some questions about this lighting as well. I currently have a 30g tank that has 2 live plants and fish but thinking of adding more plants for a full planted tank. Is the standard Fluorescent Strip Lite Bulbs that would come with a fish tank a t8 bulb? Should I have a (1)Coralife 10,000K High-Intensity Purified Super Daylight Lamp will I require more lighting for a planted tank wtih fish.

Can I use a Marineland LED Double Bright Aquarium Lighting System

I am building a hood for my 30 gallon tank (30 3/4 x 13) and wont have alot of space.

Thanks for all your help.
Steve
swalke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a 29 gallon tank. I started with 1 T8 bulb and ended up with 3 T8's. It would have been cheaper in the long run to have gotten the T5NO from Big Als'.

I have used sponge filters, a power head and now a canister filter. Canister filter with pugeum is the best. I got the Ecco, which is rated for a 35. It is the minimum for the 29. Mulm built up using the other filters in less than a year and had BBA algae where circulation was poor. Plants like crypts need good circulation.

Plants seem to adjust to low light depending on the nutrients in the water from what I have seen. Also noticed someone whom had a T8 10000K over a 50 gallon and most of the plant grew well.

Cheapest way to start is with:
T8 fixture with Aqua-glo bulb.
Plant ferns, mosses, sags, and wisteria.
Use river rocks from landscaper.
Use Scotts top soil topped with river sand from landscaping place.
I just sift the river sand and then put plastic over it before adding water. When I didn't use the plastic the dirt got pushed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalke2 View Post
I have a (1)Coralife 10,000K High-Intensity Purified Super Daylight Lamp will I require more lighting.
Using this light Co2 will need to be injected or algae will take over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalke2 View Post
Can I use a Marineland LED Double Bright Aquarium Lighting System
This light is too low for the specified tank.

Here is a thread I have on lighting for my my 29 gallon tank.

No tank is the same. Even heard someone whom had 3 tanks side by side and treated them the same had algae problems with 1 tank. The lights are the engine and most expensive item for planted tank. Thus choose plants according to light you can afford. Starting out with 5 hrs seems to be the best. If you get algae and the plants are doing fine just wait it out.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVisionary78 View Post
All you need is your current factory T8 fixture. They are real easy to gut. Once gutted there is really only three wires that need to be installed/capped. My Flip video is on it's way so stay tuned.
I thought of getting a T5 fixture and getting T5NO aquarium bulbs for it but it still seemed cheaper to get the light from Big Als's. Especially since T5 bulbs at home depot only go up to 21 in. Finding the replacement bulbs locally and avoid shipping cost ($10), usually is the problem.

Can't wait to see your video.

Last edited by Hilde; 08-08-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote