Tetras and Gouramis in the same tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
cmf0106
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tetras and Gouramis in the same tank?

Hello, I am currently doing research for possible inhabitants for my tank. I have read that Tetras and Gouramis can live together; however, some of the sources state to use caution, but do not clearly state why.

Would someone clearly explain why caution is needed when these two species live together? In addition, what protocols may be taken to avoid any potential problems?

Thanks
cmf0106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Kyclops
Algae Grower

I'm no expert on fish, but from what [little] experience I have, Gouramis can be a tad aggressive at times. Not saying they will be, but keep an eye out if they would.
Kyclops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In principle I donīt see that much problem, but the tetras could nip the Gouramis "whiskers" and I think those are very sensitive.

Blue gouramies are more aggressive but Pearl Gouramis and Dwarf Gouramies are more peaceful

I have seen tanks with Blue gouramis and tiger barbs, and those little guys are way more aggressive than most tetras.

Specifically which tetras and gouramis are you thinking about?
blackandyellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
cmf0106
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post
Specifically which tetras and gouramis are you thinking about?
Thanks for stopping by. I have not made any final decisions yet, but here is what I am currently looking at. I will go ahead and list color as well, but im not certain if different color types have different behaviors, would you comment on this as well?

Gouramis:Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, Flame Dwarf Gourami

Tetras: Neon Tetra, Cardinal Tetra

Also I recall seeing a pure red tetra once before, but I have been unable to find them on any of the online fish stores I frequent (namely www.liveaquaria.com and www.aquabid.com)

Last edited by cmf0106; 06-14-2010 at 09:06 PM..
cmf0106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
EntoCraig
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I had a tank with 3 Pearl Gouramis, 10 Rummynose Tetras. and about 30 Rasboras.

I find that 90% of gouramis are peacful, every once in a while you will get a bad apple who may like his or her space.

I never had any problems with my above setup.
EntoCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

i've got dwarf and opaline gouramis with neons and serpae tetra with no problems at all.

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf0106 View Post
Thanks for stopping by. I have not made any final decisions yet, but here is what I am currently looking at. I will go ahead and list color as well, but im not certain if different color types have different behaviors, would you comment on this as well?

Also I recall seeing a pure red tetra once before, but I have been unable to find them on any of the online fish stores I frequent (namely www.liveaquaria.com and www.aquabid.com)
I have a very curious flame dwarf Gourami in a tank with about 15 tetras. And all is well.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have never mixed dwarf gouramies with neon tetras but my feeling tells me it could work. I have seen tanks with dwarf gouramies and harlequin rasboras, which are similarly sized to neons, and they got along fine. Neons are usually quite peaceful so I wouldnīt expect them nipping at the gouramiīs whiskers
blackandyellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf0106 View Post

Not a problem with that mix.

There are a few species of tetras that can get nippy- serpaes, red phantom, black skirt, blue, and silvertips being a few.

You may have been thinking of red phantom or ruby tetras with your all-red tetra?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
jeffvmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

I have a neon blue dwarf gourami together with a school of 10 neon tetra's, 5 cherry barbs, 3 oto's and a veiled angel in a 10gal tank(overstocked but I run 2 filters in it and do weekly 30% water change)
They all get along fine. The neon blue gourami sometimes charges at the angel but no nipping or fighting occured ever.
It's as if the gourami is just saying go back to your end of the tank if the angel strays in his side.
They just go to their separate corners of the tank and don't bother the other fishes.
jeffvmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #11
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Not to thread jack, but have you looked into hy511 tetras? They are kinda like candy cane tetras, but amazing looking, they are tough to find, but I have come across them a few times at the shop.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.