Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 44
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #646
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had a 4 1/2x20 Big Blue whole house filter with 1 inch ports for my reactor but I filled mine with mini bio balls to the top , I use a Aqua Medic T before the reactor for my co2 and had it hook up with my Eheim 2262 900g filter . My co2 bps was high for my 120g tank but never got burp or 7-up look.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=ext5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl9063 View Post
anyone actually use this on a large tank like maybe a 220g?

does the pump matter? Can I use an eheim 2224 that's rated: Pump Output: 185 gph?
Slower the flow, better co2 rates?
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #647
andyl9063
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Isn't your tank using a sump? If it is why not get a needle wheel pump and run it into a filter housing to help catch some of the bubbles and have the return to that go back into your sump and get picked up by your main return pump to take the water into your tank.

I use a mag drive 7 with fractioning impeller ran into my cerges style reactor/bubble collector on my 90 gal. and it works great. You could use the same setup as I have or modify it by getting a lager whole house filter if you use a larger pump. The way mine is running the contact time is just fine after some fine tuning with a ball valve. You can see the bubble collector I built in post #65 in my journal. Very simple and cost under $40, but best of all it works great.
yeah, i brought the 20" housing to make the cerges reactor. If i still see some mist, I'll add the nw pump.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #648
andyl9063
Planted Member

I got mine hook up and running.
I might be confuse on one thing. The output of the canister filter, does it go on the input or output of the housing?

I have the filter output going into input of housing according to flow.
The co2 enter and is there suppose to be a splash?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 AM   #649
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
anyone actually use this on a large tank like maybe a 220g?

does the pump matter? Can I use an eheim 2224 that's rated: Pump Output: 185 gph?
Slower the flow, better co2 rates?
I have mine running on my tank (total volume of 260 gallons) using an eheim 1262 at close to 900 GPH and it works great. Flow only matters if a high flow forces CO2 through the reactor. I recommend hooking up the reactor as detailed in Cerges' post (input to input).

Quote:
I got mine hook up and running.
I might be confuse on one thing. The output of the canister filter, does it go on the input or output of the housing?

I have the filter output going into input of housing according to flow.
The co2 enter and is there suppose to be a splash?

There shouldn't really be a splash. If you hook up input to input then you'll see CO2 enter the reactor and agitate at the top. If you hook it up in reverse all the CO2 should absorb in the PVC pipe. If the pipe is clear then you should see the CO2 agitate within the pipe.

Link to a video of mine in action (input to input).
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #650
andyl9063
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmustang1 View Post
I have mine running on my tank (total volume of 260 gallons) using an eheim 1262 at close to 900 GPH and it works great. Flow only matters if a high flow forces CO2 through the reactor. I recommend hooking up the reactor as detailed in Cerges' post (input to input).

There shouldn't really be a splash. If you hook up input to input then you'll see CO2 enter the reactor and agitate at the top. If you hook it up in reverse all the CO2 should absorb in the PVC pipe. If the pipe is clear then you should see the CO2 agitate within the pipe.

I hook it from filter to output and co2 didn't dissolve really well, bubbles kept escaping . I tried filter to input according to flow arrow and the co2 level drop much quicker but there was splash and co2 was probably lost. Going to try with better pump.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #651
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

I really don't see the big deal about this reactor, I know people are trying to get rid of bubbles in their tank. I got a ceramic disc diffuser and there aren't too many? The only time my tank looks like a "glass of soda" is when I do water changes.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #652
andyl9063
Planted Member

Quote:

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I really don't see the big deal about this reactor, I know people are trying to get rid of bubbles in their tank. I got a ceramic disc diffuser and there aren't too many? The only time my tank looks like a "glass of soda" is when I do water changes.
you just can't use something like that one a big tank.......
Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #653
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 70 an I get real good diffusion in my tank. I'm gonna make a bigger tank but I'm gonna have to drop my 70 pond/tank an a few others first lol.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 01-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Fix
Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #654
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
It depends on your setup. I turn my tank 8-10 times an hour and a diffuser would look like a forest fire ember in a wind storm. Those bubbles eventually end up in your canister and get trapped and then you have problems.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #655
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
I think it's cool to watch. If I wanted to use a ceramic diffusor on my tank I'd have to set up 2 or 3 of them which means 2 or 3 needle valves which would cost too much. Plus, I like having all my equipment under the tank instead of in the tank as it's much nicer looking. I like mine so much I'm even putting one on my upcoming 12 long
Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #656
andyl9063
Planted Member

Quote:
I think it's cool to watch. If I wanted to use a ceramic diffusor on my tank I'd have to set up 2 or 3 of them which means 2 or 3 needle valves which would cost too much. Plus, I like having all my equipment under the tank instead of in the tank as it's much nicer looking. I like mine so much I'm even putting one on my upcoming 12 long
you got that right, it was cool looking with the clear housing. Waiting on bigger pump to avoid the splashing.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #657
Adam7288

PTrader: (0/0%)

What happened to the pictures in the beginning? Really want to attempt this but do not feel comfortable without the pictures...
Adam7288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #658
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam7288 View Post
What happened to the pictures in the beginning? Really want to attempt this but do not feel comfortable without the pictures...
It's pretty simple to make and I'm sure there is several other pictures throughout the thread. Here is a link to the one I made but keep in mind I run mine post needle wheel pump so I have no input for the co2 to enter the reactor housing. So you either have to remove the relief button and figure out a way to install the co2 hose through that opening or the easier and safer way would be to use a t-fitting similar to this and inject the co2 into the input of the reactor.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medi...FICOPP-vi.html

Here is the link to mine I built:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...361&highlight=
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #659
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hoky smokes that's a lot of money for that Tee! Add $6.99 shipping to that! Lowes is definitely your friend. Heck even US Plastic will sell you one less dear than that. Or you could drill a hole right in the top of the whole house filter undersized for the size vinyl tubing you're using. 1/8" for 3/16" tubing for instance. Then cut the tubing end diagonally and force fit the tip of it into the hole and pull it through with a pair of pliers. Similar to the forced fit you would use on the bottle caps for a DIY CO2 generator. Water tight, and costs $0. I DO NOT recommend you use the bleed button hole because you will need that button to get rid of air in the top of the filter.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #660
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
It's pretty simple to make and I'm sure there is several other pictures throughout the thread. Here is a link to the one I made but keep in mind I run mine post needle wheel pump so I have no input for the co2 to enter the reactor housing. So you either have to remove the relief button and figure out a way to install the co2 hose through that opening or the easier and safer way would be to use a t-fitting similar to this and inject the co2 into the input of the reactor.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medi...FICOPP-vi.html

Here is the link to mine I built:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...361&highlight=
I like the idea of the flex pipe where did u pick that up from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.