Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #46
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

this looks really interesting... and rather easy. however, being new to co2, would you be willing to provide a diagram as to how this is set up?

what goes where? what line comes from what and goes to what? etc. if you could do that i think that would be very much appreciated by everyone and be extremely useful!
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #47
milesm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatw View Post
this looks really interesting... and rather easy. however, being new to co2, would you be willing to provide a diagram as to how this is set up?

what goes where? what line comes from what and goes to what? etc. if you could do that i think that would be very much appreciated by everyone and be extremely useful!
please read the entire thread--what you are asking will be answered.

Last edited by milesm; 07-30-2010 at 02:30 AM..
milesm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #48
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

it may appear rather straight forward from reading the thread. but i've yet to set up a CO2 system for my tank and am in the process of doing research on the best solution... this one appears to be the easiest and one of the more efficient set ups.

however, most of "how to's" are really lacking in a detailed description of how they are set up. "you put this in there and you're done", but i'm not sure what this or there is.

a simple drawn diagram, similar to an electrical diagram for a car's wiring system, would make things a lot simpler to follow for someone like myself... and probably a lot of people. I think it'd be a great service to the community as well, and i'd be happy to do one myself if i knew what i was doing.

from what i can tell from the pictures, water goes into the filter, then out and into the CO2 reactor, which fills with the filtered water and CO2 and then that "mix" exits the reactor and goes to the tank? is it really that simple and straight forward?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #49
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Why would this have less of an impact on flow vs a DIY reactor?

From what I can tell the water enters at the top, slams into an internal elbow and down the added PVC extension. Water comes out of the PVC and slams into the bottom of the canister and then exits out the top going through a second internal 90.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #50
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:

Check out my journal and you can see it inline.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-bowfront.html
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #51
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Check out my journal and you can see it inline.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-bowfront.html
thank you, very useful.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #52
milesm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
thank you, very useful.
i think the picture in post #33 by redman is far, far clearer than jmow's. not to flame jmow, but he's got so many hoses going all over the place i don't know how a noob can find it useful.

redman's picture shows that indeed you are correct when you say
Quote:
from what i can tell from the pictures, water goes into the filter, then out and into the CO2 reactor, which fills with the filtered water and CO2 and then that "mix" exits the reactor and goes to the tank? is it really that simple and straight forward?

Last edited by milesm; 07-31-2010 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: none
milesm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #53
Quesenek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
Why would this have less of an impact on flow vs a DIY reactor?

From what I can tell the water enters at the top, slams into an internal elbow and down the added PVC extension. Water comes out of the PVC and slams into the bottom of the canister and then exits out the top going through a second internal 90.
Got it backwards comes in through a hole in the top and goes up through the PVC tube on top of that it's under pressure.

Praw, http://www.lowes.com/pd_89374-59019-..._?rpp=15$No=15
FILSTAR Pimp #162
Quesenek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #54
DevonCloud
Algae Grower

Quote:
it may appear rather straight forward from reading the thread. but i've yet to set up a CO2 system for my tank and am in the process of doing research on the best solution... this one appears to be the easiest and one of the more efficient set ups.

however, most of "how to's" are really lacking in a detailed description of how they are set up. "you put this in there and you're done", but i'm not sure what this or there is.

a simple drawn diagram, similar to an electrical diagram for a car's wiring system, would make things a lot simpler to follow for someone like myself... and probably a lot of people. I think it'd be a great service to the community as well, and i'd be happy to do one myself if i knew what i was doing.

It's actually just that simple. The concept is that water coming from the return (back into your tank) on the canister is sent through the top of the reactor and out through the bottom. However, the CO2 is fed in through the side either at the top, middle, or bottom, and the CO2 bubble is then pummeled by the water, thus breaking it up and dissolving it.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #55
wakesk8r
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

would there be any negative affect to leaving the prime button and drilling a hole for co2 line?
I have to shut my intake pump down during water changes. It's much easier to start up again if i can prime it
wakesk8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #56
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-ram View Post
would there be any negative affect to leaving the prime button and drilling a hole for co2 line?
I have to shut my intake pump down during water changes. It's much easier to start up again if i can prime it
You could attach a tee on the inlet to the reactor if you don't want to drill.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #57
Quesenek
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-ram
I don't know about other models but on mine the "prime" button they have is nothing more than a screw with a small piece of rubber on it to keep water from pouring out of the hole from the pressure. Hope that helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FILSTAR Pimp #162
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #58
JasonC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think there was one post saying they were using this reactor with DIY Co2... is there really no reason that this shouldn't work w/ yeast bottles? Could this really be the solution I have been hoping for?
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #59
Quesenek
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC
I think there was one post saying they were using this reactor with DIY Co2... is there really no reason that this shouldn't work w/ yeast bottles? Could this really be the solution I have been hoping for?
I don't see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FILSTAR Pimp #162
Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #60
Greyskull
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Thanks

I used your idea today and built the reactor, it's works great. I hooked it up to my FX5 filter.

Thanks for the idea.
Greyskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.