Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 28
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #406
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamato View Post
I know it was discussed earlier the merits of this for a 6g, but what about a 20g long? Filter is a Eheim 2215 (163 gph rating). I know it's probably overkill but I love DIY and as long as my filter will put out enough flow for it to work I'd build one
I think a 10" house filter will work for you.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #407
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
You could put a school bus in line with a Magnum 350 and not notice any restriction in flow Those things are pretty much tanks! They might not have the bells and whistles of "new" canisters, but I've had two running 24/7 for about 5+ years now with zero problems.
I had use a Mag 350 as a reactor , just remove the media container and I added some bio balls , The motor sits on the bottom so there is no air lock's to worry .
Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #408
aquatic serenity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
I had use a Mag 350 as a reactor , just remove the media container and I added some bio balls , The motor sits on the bottom so there is no air lock's to worry .

I'd LOVE to see a picture of the mag350 setup !...sounds interesting
aquatic serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #409
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatic serenity View Post
I'd LOVE to see a picture of the mag350 setup !...sounds interesting
Sorry to say , that was years back {10yrs} I've done move up in equipment . It does work great for a 55g tank.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #410
DeusExCalibur
Algae Grower

Anyone else use this filter from home depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Wat...&storeId=10051

What size coupling and pipe did you use for the inside? I bought 3/4" CPVC pipe and it's definitely too small for the hole. I'm guessing 3/4" regular PVC would work, but I'd prefer confirmation from anyone with the same filter before I go out again. Thanks
Attached Images

DeusExCalibur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #411
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExCalibur View Post
Anyone else use this filter from home depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Wat...&storeId=10051

What size coupling and pipe did you use for the inside? I bought 3/4" CPVC pipe and it's definitely too small for the hole. I'm guessing 3/4" regular PVC would work, but I'd prefer confirmation from anyone with the same filter before I go out again. Thanks

Ya I did use that one, and I believe that I used 3/4" coupling. Even the filters for this use that size so you should be fine. Ya I figured out the same last minute when I was making mine.

sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #412
DeusExCalibur
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
Ya I did use that one, and I believe that I used 3/4" coupling. Even the filters for this use that size so you should be fine. Ya I figured out the same last minute when I was making mine.

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6842977228_44f92c2d92_b.jpg[ /IMG]
Thanks mate, I figured 3/4" should fit. Now to find the strength to go back to Home Depot in this heat wave.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #413
DeusExCalibur
Algae Grower

Haha geeze, well I went back to HD and returned the CPVC and bought regular 3/4" PVC + coupling. I get home and now it's too big. I'm thinking I'll go back and this time bring the filter top with me and see what works. In case I don't find anything, I realized that some extra tubing from my canister filter fits perfectly into the hole. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Would it be a good idea to put a little pvc cement to seal the tubing into the hole? Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0031.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	49579  

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #414
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Is there any reason why you can't boil some water? Because several times in this thread I pointed out that you can easily mold PVC (*not CPVC*) to the size/shape you need simply by boiling water and resting the end of the pipe in it for about 10 seconds. Form to shape (force it into the ring or force a suitable size object into it to enlarge) and you're done. No need for glue or gaskets or other...
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #415
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExCalibur View Post
Would it be a good idea to put a little pvc cement to seal the tubing into the hole? Thanks for any input.
No reason it wouldn't work. PVC cement will not bond to vinyl.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #416
DeusExCalibur
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Is there any reason why you can't boil some water? Because several times in this thread I pointed out that you can easily mold PVC (*not CPVC*) to the size/shape you need simply by boiling water and resting the end of the pipe in it for about 10 seconds. Form to shape (force it into the ring or force a suitable size object into it to enlarge) and you're done. No need for glue or gaskets or other...
Interesting, I'll definitely try boiling and see if I can get it to work. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #417
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Just guessing here but I suppose anything that would lengthen the time of contact with the water would help dissolve additional CO2. There are people who use the Cerges and add a ring of coarse sponge or filter material around the center pipe to help keep the bubbles above the bottom and being sucked up before they've dissolved. You might want to try that first, but honestly, 900 gph (FX5?) is a lot of flow. I have an FX5 too and I opted to use a separate pump/loop for the CO2 for that very reason. I don't know what would tame that. Maybe nothing.
Sump tank with a 1350 gph rated pump

Dialed back a bit of course

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #418
DeusExCalibur
Algae Grower

Welp, finally got things figured out. 3/4" PVC coupling DOES indeed fit inside the filter, but only if it's the slip-threaded type connector. Go figure.

Anyways, everything's put together and the PVC cement + primer has been dried for at least 10 hours now, way past it's proper curing time. I know it should be safe to run at this point, but should I be concerned that I can still smell the cement?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #419
Jbuck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where abouts do you guys put your bubble counters if used on these reactors is it just between the regulator and reactor. Also does it have to be in a vertical position?

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram
Jbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #420
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
Where abouts do you guys put your bubble counters if used on these reactors is it just between the regulator and reactor. Also does it have to be in a vertical position?

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram

Yes it needs to be vertical so your fluid doesn't get into your aquarium. and I use an inline bubble counter mounted to my stand underneath the cabinet. Between the regulator and the reactor, any place on that line, it doesn't really matter. Good luck!
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote