Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 24
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #346
Eviltwist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefguy View Post
Sorry but I don't know the exact sizes but, this is what I bought at Home Depot not sure of the second piece but its similar. You fit these two together then they go into the Tee. I just pieced everything in the store to make sure everything fit. good luck.

First part is : Watts / Brass Hose Barb Adapter/ 1/8 in ID x 1/4 in NIP / Number on the package is LFA-85

2nd part is : Watts / Brass Pipe Bushing / 1/2 in MIP x 1/4 in FIP / Number on the package is LFA-827

Both parts can be found at brass fittings section.

And once again thank you hidefguy for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #347
MichaelMcG
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

in pretty much all of peoples pictures the tee for the co2 is pointing down.. so the "T" is upside down. is there any reason why people don't spin the tee the other way so the co2 just flows up into the tee?

also some people have been saying they have a gurgling sound? i have more of a swishing or a spitting/spraying sound like once every 5-10 seconds. can anybody think of a reason for this? the reactor has been running for a few days now so i know its not a big air pocket. it only makes the sound when the co2 is on but it starts right away not after any co2 build up.
MichaelMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #348
hidefguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwist View Post
First part is : Watts / Brass Hose Barb Adapter/ 1/8 in ID x 1/4 in NIP / Number on the package is LFA-85

2nd part is : Watts / Brass Pipe Bushing / 1/2 in MIP x 1/4 in FIP / Number on the package is LFA-827

Both parts can be found at brass fittings section.

And once again thank you hidefguy for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem, glad I could help. Btw nice setup, I prob will get a clear housing someday I didn't have the patience to wait tho.
hidefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #349
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I can't remember if this was asked, or for that matter if I asked it! However I have a standard size housing, 14" or so total height, if I turn up my co2 I get tons of bubbles in the tank, to pick up a 20" housing is fairly costly.. If I picked up another standard housing and ran them in line with co2 going into the first one, do you think this would eliminate my bubbles (my outflow is probably around 900 gph)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #350
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Paid $69. for 1" Port.

http://h2odistributors.com/20-big-bl...r-housings.asp
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #351
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
I can't remember if this was asked, or for that matter if I asked it! However I have a standard size housing, 14" or so total height, if I turn up my co2 I get tons of bubbles in the tank, to pick up a 20" housing is fairly costly.. If I picked up another standard housing and ran them in line with co2 going into the first one, do you think this would eliminate my bubbles (my outflow is probably around 900 gph)

Just guessing here but I suppose anything that would lengthen the time of contact with the water would help dissolve additional CO2. There are people who use the Cerges and add a ring of coarse sponge or filter material around the center pipe to help keep the bubbles above the bottom and being sucked up before they've dissolved. You might want to try that first, but honestly, 900 gph (FX5?) is a lot of flow. I have an FX5 too and I opted to use a separate pump/loop for the CO2 for that very reason. I don't know what would tame that. Maybe nothing.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #352
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

For high flow filtration loops you could make another loop for the Cerge's reactor and wye it off from the main loop on both ends. Use a ball valve on the main line just above the Cerges' input wye split off to adjust the flow rate balance between the 2 loops so you don't get bubble blow by and full CO2 dissolution.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #353
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

I found this while piecing mine together. A piece of 3/4" PVC fits the hole in this perfectly and I just superglued it into place. Inside the slits in the side of the filter is fine screening. I hoping to push about 900 GPH through it with a Supreme Mag Dive pump. It will still be about a week before I actually get it hooked up.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #354
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

whats the point using the water unit? i dont see how bubble can break down while going through that big thing. doesn't look like there anything that will chop the bubble up.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #355
Mobert
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

For those looking for a 20" clear housing with 1" brass outlets, I just got one on ebay for under $26. Search Stagon 20" filter housing.
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #356
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert View Post
For those looking for a 20" clear housing with 1" brass outlets, I just got one on ebay for under $26. Search Stagon 20" filter housing.
Can't wait to see how you put it together.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #357
fattboa
Algae Grower

Hello
Tried doing this but being in Kuwait some parts are pretty hard/impossible to find.
I built it using stainless steel fittings/parts. Only found PVC and not CPVC for the tube inside the filter. GOing to try PVC glue to attach it inside the filter.
Will these minor modifications be ok? Perhaps the stainless fittings will not be air tight?
Also another question, can I use yeast to deliver CO2? Just attach the line to the input at the T? Or should I use another bottle? Tried finding a check valve but no luck
fattboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #358
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattboa View Post
Hello
Tried doing this but being in Kuwait some parts are pretty hard/impossible to find.
I built it using stainless steel fittings/parts. Only found PVC and not CPVC for the tube inside the filter. GOing to try PVC glue to attach it inside the filter.
Will these minor modifications be ok? Perhaps the stainless fittings will not be air tight?
Also another question, can I use yeast to deliver CO2? Just attach the line to the input at the T? Or should I use another bottle? Tried finding a check valve but no luck
Unfortunately, PVC cement is going to get you nowhere in that situation. It depends on creating a chemical reaction between the parts, and won't work with the housing - I tried it myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #359
fattboa
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Unfortunately, PVC cement is going to get you nowhere in that situation. It depends on creating a chemical reaction between the parts, and won't work with the housing - I tried it myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Apologies. It seems that I bought CPVC cement and a CPVC adapter (to stick the PVC pipe into - they did not have the correct size pipe to attach to inside the filter without the adapter) but the pipe itself is PVC. Any issues with using CPVC cement to glue PVC to CPVC? The PVC fits quite snugly into the CPVC adapter so it is not necessary but just to make sure.
Sorry if these questions are stupid but I am not much of a DIY person.
Is it extremely frustrating trying to do a planted tank over here. I've spent almost a week just searching for the parts and still have a lot left
Thank you for replying
EDIT: I am not sure I read about anyone using this diffuser with DIY yeast as a co2 source. is it even possible?
2nd EDIT: found answer. Seems it is ok with some and some say forget it. Only one way to find out...
fattboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #360
moogleii

Newbie here, just stumbled upon this thread a couple days ago and have been reading like crazy. I broke my Rexx/Barr reactor during transit so I decided to give this one a whirl (snapped the CO2 piping going into the reactor). I definitely like how modular/bolt-on this design is, so I should be able to avoid/repair such damage in the future).

Any reason why the internal up pipe can't just be clear hosing? I think someone did do that (maybe post #5 or so), but that was the last mention of that variant (no comments for or against). I checked my local hardware stores and none of the filter brands that they sell have lids that mate well with a 3/4" cpvc coupling or 1" pvc pipe (GE and Whirlpool ones for those that are wondering).

I know I can just melt PVC per moose's suggestion, or use glue, but I'd like to just keep it bolt-on simple if I can. I suppose if it came down to it, I could order the same filter that the OP bought off the internet, but I'm impatient
moogleii is offline   Reply With Quote