Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #331
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

here is my 3 week setup, i had to tear down the tank due to osmocote, again i still have plant melting here and there due to exces ammoium and nitrate.

here is my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAqki9X7n-E

MOOSE thanks for your video, looking good

i have played around with the reactor and it seems to work well if you lay it sideway instead of keeping it standing straight up. i also added a diffuser inside the reactor, this actually works very well and co2 diffuse much quicker. if anyone want to try the diffuser method inside the reactor then this is good. you can also try the inline diffuser which should give same results. adding sponge makes a big difference on the diffusion, i added two sponges which fills the reactor almost 8" and this is working very well.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #332
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieo View Post
Hey guys I have a couple questions, I'm running dual filters on my 90g (xp3 and xp4), but I only have one line for co2 coming out of my co2 bottle/regulator/whatever you call it (as I run an atomic diffuser inside the tank) if I wanted to build these reactors do I go with 1? Or build two? And if I do build two, would I be able to get like a t or y fitting to split my co2 lines into two lines and have one for each reactor?
Not sure if this question was answered, but... you should be able to get away with using one reactor on a 4 foot tank, "should" being the key word. All tanks are different. But if you do decide to tee the line, you will need a separate needle valve on each line. I'm not sure where you can get a tee, but I'd look in the SnS for folks there that are selling regs and post body kits (I got mine a few years ago from Rex, but he is no longer in business).

Great videos, guys.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #333
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Thanks jart,

I had just trimmed about 3-4 lbs of plants out of mine before I shot that vid. It looks bare to me! They get away from you so easily sometimes. I'm even contemplating going back to 13w CFLs in this tank, just for a little relief from the trimming. It's got 23w in there now... Tempting...

Cheers
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #334
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is there any filter with 1" in and out? I don't want to throttle my pump that much..
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #335
m00se
Wannabe Guru

The filter that le0p is using has 1" in/out. I tried to source a similar unit in the 20" length but apparently Pentek stopped making them for awhile. I was told by someone (can't remember who now because I talked to so many people) that they started making them again in the 20" clear housings. If you do some research you may find someone interested in getting one for you.

I was very happy with the service and price I got from these guys - you may be able to get one through them.

They seemed eager to answer any questions I had and were pleasant and promptly delivered.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #336
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't care for the clear I just have a feeling my flow would be a little too much for it
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #337
m00se
Wannabe Guru

http://www.discountfilterstore.com/w...hfpp-pr20.html
Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #338
Eviltwist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
Thank you to everyone who posted their builds here. Here is my interpretation:

Attachment 47656

Attachment 47657
Anyone can tell me what's the name of that fitting for co2 tube and the one that the fitting goes into ?
Is there any way to not use CPVC inside, the Home Depot that's close to me doesn't carry it...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #339
s_s
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone else have problems getting the 3/4" CPVC coupler to fit onto the lid?

My lid's opening is visibly oval shaped. It is Whirlpool branded filter.

Anyone have any suggestions?
s_s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #340
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwist View Post
Anyone can tell me what's the name of that fitting for co2 tube and the one that the fitting goes into ?
Is there any way to not use CPVC inside, the Home Depot that's close to me doesn't carry it...

The T shaped fitting is called a "tee" and looks like he used a threaded version - there are two types - threaded and "slip" which is the one you would use with glue. The brass fittings look like a reducer to a nipple.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #341
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_s View Post
Anyone else have problems getting the 3/4" CPVC coupler to fit onto the lid?

My lid's opening is visibly oval shaped. It is Whirlpool branded filter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure what you mean by coupler. If you mean the downtube you fit into the slot where the filter would be, then you need to get the correct length of 1" PVC (not CPVC) and heat the end in boiling water per my suggestion about 30 posts ago, and either enlarge or reduce it to fit the round slot. CPVC will not soften in boiling water - that's why it's used in hot water plumbing. PVC will.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #342
hidefguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwist View Post
Sorry but I don't know the exact sizes but, this is what I bought at Home Depot not sure of the second piece but its similar. You fit these two together then they go into the Tee. I just pieced everything in the store to make sure everything fit. good luck.

hidefguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #343
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I didn't use CPVC for the "downpipe" on my reactor. I used a piece of 1" PVC and glued it in place with 100% silicone. The ID of the 1" PVC was just slightly larger than the OD of the filter's outlet port inside the canister, so it didn't fit as snugly as I would have liked, but the silicone worked out just fine for me.
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #344
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Silicone won't bond to PVC. You have a mechanical seal now, but it won't last. Melting it to form will be satisfactory in the long run.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #345
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

All the silicone needed to do was pick up the slack between the pipe and the filter output. I was skeptical at first but it's working just fine for now. Even if I need to rework it later on its no big deal it's easy enough to get into it :-)
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.