Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 21
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #301
stevieo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey guys I have a couple questions, I'm running dual filters on my 90g (xp3 and xp4), but I only have one line for co2 coming out of my co2 bottle/regulator/whatever you call it (as I run an atomic diffuser inside the tank) if I wanted to build these reactors do I go with 1? Or build two? And if I do build two, would I be able to get like a t or y fitting to split my co2 lines into two lines and have one for each reactor? The reason I ask is because the way my spray bars are set up, I'm afraid if I only use one reactor one side won't receive the co2 as well as the other.
Here's an image to show you guys
And also, if you guys have any opinions or ideas on how/where to place my spray bars and intake pipes for optimum circulation let me know. Ive been trying to figure this out for a while now and I just can't seem to get it perfectly.

Thanks for all the help
stevieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #302
Quesenek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
UPDATE

i have tested this reactor with whatever method i could think of.

1st method: just insert the pvc tube and left the inch from the bottom so water could enter. this wasnt best way to work with such a high flow of my filter 525gph, which was the main reason the bubbles were escaping.

2nd method: put the pvc pipe all the way to the bottom and drilled some holes and results were same as 1st method.

3rd method: sponge or pot scrubber on the bottom, this method works the best and less bubbles coming out now. but still misty type bubbles are coming out, i think am going to remedy this and play around with the setting.
Here's a something I posted awhile back. Totally fixed the micro bubbles for me. I would try and combine it with the second method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Here is a tip that I have found out in the seven months mine has been running.
If you are having trouble with the micro bubbles simply wrap a bit of filter floss around the outside of the tube so that the water+Co2 has to pass through it completely in order for it to exit the canister.
You would think it would slow down the flow quite a bit but mine has the same flow with or without the floss all you have to do is clean it when you do a water change and your good to go.
FILSTAR Pimp #162
Quesenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #303
kassysimon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Sorry to revive but......

I have followed your design which i think is great but for extra security i decided to insert mu co2 hose as pictured below. I have been asked whether the reactor will still be as useful in my setup compared to the original.

What is your opinion of my setup? Is it as good as the original design?

Does it matter where along the way the co2 is injected as long as it is before the reactor?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 4-05-12 21 35 49.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	46808  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 4-05-12 21 11 36.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	46809  

kassysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #304
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Not in my experience - In fact it might work better.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #305
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

the good thing i notice about this reactor is that you do not loose any flow, it seems even stronger. with my Rex design, i was barely getting enough flow out of it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #306
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

kassysimon: I had one of those large 10" filter housings and I returned it and got the 20" instead. The mistake I made was that I assumed that the CO2 would dissolve better in the larger diameter environment. It actually needs the length of the water column and not the volume. Have to get gravity working for you.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #307
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

kassysimon I would have use a Aqua Medic Tee Reducer instead of the pvc , They come in 22mm and 16mm.
Attached Images

inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #308
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I just finished installing my take on the Cerges' Reactor.

Out of the CO2 tank, the line goes through a check valve, into the bubble counter, into a second check valve, and then into the reactor.

Does anyone else notice that their bubble counter is no longer a stable rate of bubbles-per-second? I imagine there is some sort of venturi effect occurring due to my placement of the CO2 injection location on the tubing - I believe it may be creating suction on my CO2 line as the water passes through?

I don't think this should cause any problems since the regulator/needle valve is only going to let "so much" gas through... any thoughts on this?

Otherwise, the only problem I have is that as soon as I started running it, I realized I forgot to install the quick disconnect ball valves so I am not looking forward to the first day I need to disassemble for cleaning ... oh well might as well leave it as-is right now!
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #309
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Nice dude! looks exactly what I made for mine..they work so great! My bubble counter works the same, but I have a check valve in the same place as you and right below the bubble counter so that seems about right..It just will start a little slower til part of the line pressurizes, then smooth sailing..
Ha ya I didn't install the ball valves either, forgot to, so instead I just hooked up a release joint (T) undernieth the reactor and drain the extra water out of the line while doing a tank change. It works well for that and to fill buckets or run a hose out the window for water changes with out getting in the tank..

Yours looks great! you will love every second of it ha..good luck with the bubble counter thing.
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #310
happi
Planted Tank Guru

elwray is that a cf500 filter? flow on that thing is crazy and this reactor release co2 bubbles due to high flow, even if you put sponge on the bottom of the reactor, it still let the co2 escape. i have ordered the 20" filter housing, which i think will fix this problem and i dont have to add any sponge. i will post the results here 2-3 days once i receive it.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #311
elwray
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
Nice dude! looks exactly what I made for mine..they work so great! My bubble counter works the same, but I have a check valve in the same place as you and right below the bubble counter so that seems about right..It just will start a little slower til part of the line pressurizes, then smooth sailing..
Ha ya I didn't install the ball valves either, forgot to, so instead I just hooked up a release joint (T) undernieth the reactor and drain the extra water out of the line while doing a tank change. It works well for that and to fill buckets or run a hose out the window for water changes with out getting in the tank..

Yours looks great! you will love every second of it ha..good luck with the bubble counter thing.
Thanks for the info! And the compliment, although it really doesn't look "great" - I got purple primer on EVERYTHING I don't think I've ever used that stuff without making a huge mess.

When I get home from work today, I'm hoping it has all come to an equilibrium. Actually I'm just hoping that I don't come home to a leaky reactor and 50 gallons of water on the floor, but also that my bubble counter is behaving!

I found the old quick disconnects from my Magnum 350 canister, so I'm going to try to use those in this setup.

Quote:
elwray is that a cf500 filter? flow on that thing is crazy and this reactor release co2 bubbles due to high flow, even if you put sponge on the bottom of the reactor, it still let the co2 escape. i have ordered the 20" filter housing, which i think will fix this problem and i dont have to add any sponge. i will post the results here 2-3 days once i receive it.
It is a CF400. I am not having any bubbles making their way through into the tank with this filter, but the CF500 does have considerably higher flow. Best of luck with the longer filter housing, hopefully that solves the problem for you!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #312
happi
Planted Tank Guru

even with the 20" reactor am still seeing mist type bubbles escaping and coming out of the spray bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMCEh8NUEQo
Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #313
elwray
Planted Member

Quote:
even with the 20" reactor am still seeing mist type bubbles escaping and coming out of the spray bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMCEh8NUEQo
Have you tried putting some filter floss in the annular space between the canister and the PVC pipe? It ought to "catch" the bubbles so they dissolve before they reach the output.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #314
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Have you tried putting some filter floss in the annular space between the canister and the PVC pipe? It ought to "catch" the bubbles so they dissolve before they reach the output.
i tried it on the 10" filter and bubble still escaped, so i went with the 20" model and still i see some misty bubbles in my tank.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #315
Quesenek
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
i tried it on the 10" filter and bubble still escaped, so i went with the 20" model and still i see some misty bubbles in my tank.
How much did you use?
I just remembered that I basically filled mine up.
1) to reduce the splashing noise, and 2) to make sure there were no ways for the bubbles to escape.
FILSTAR Pimp #162
Quesenek is offline   Reply With Quote