Is Arduion code and programing hard to learn
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is Arduion code and programing hard to learn

So the title sais it by itself. i have a few project in mind for my tank and konwing adruino code will make it a lot easyer. I know my way around on pc but know 0% about code and programing so is worth it to get book or spend hrs on youtube to try to learn it is it simple enough to self tought if so can you refer me to some book or website that would make my learning easy and faster. Thanks
Ultimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

As programming languages go it is not too bad. The best way to learn is to at example code and sit down and do a few simple programs. Typically you will also have to have some simple knowledge of electronics, circuits, relays etc to get the most out of an Adriano since it is used with add on boards to control other electronics.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
As programming languages go it is not too bad. The best way to learn is to at example code and sit down and do a few simple programs. Typically you will also have to have some simple knowledge of electronics, circuits, relays etc to get the most out of an Adriano since it is used with add on boards to control other electronics.
This. If you want to ease your way into programming basics you can try doing some basic stuff in Ruby. Ruby has an interactive coding tutorial that you can do online to get you into the basics of things. Granted, Arduino is based on C/C++ so it's not going to be entirely like Ruby, but Ruby is definitely a great way to ease yourself into the programming world.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

A general knowledge of coding would be beneficial; since I'm in school for programming, arduino code doesn't look so bad. I just haven't looked into it, but my techy friends know a lot more than I do when it comes to arduinos.
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

You can check out my beginner's guide here
http://aquatictechtank.net/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8

I've been meaning to do video tuts of this. soon maybe.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

Thanks will have a check mister
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
PhysicsDude55
Algae Grower

I have an Arduino controlling my tank. I'm a low voltage controls Electrical Engineer.... so its pretty easy for me.

As far as coding goes, Arduinos are pretty easy, but there's still quite a learning curve in learning how to write loops, variable types, etc. I was able to learn C++ pretty well in 1 semester taking a 3 hour course, and I think you could learn C++ well enough to do Arduino stuff by doing 10 hours of tutorials or something, if you're already a pretty techy person.

The biggest advantage of using an Arduino is it is CHEAP compared to other automated options, at the cost of A LOT of time. I've spent easily 60 hours on my code and setup.

Here's a video of my tank, its currently being changed a lot, but the Arduino controls are nifty and really a conversation piece :-)

http://youtu.be/Ch1JMTL4d3M
PhysicsDude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Arduino platform was originally created for artists to create interactive and responsive art installations. The majority of whom have zero programing experience. The code was written to be fairly user friendly. Loops are useful and not all that difficult to learn depending on what you are trying to do.

There is such a large pool of code posted on line that you really don't have to write anything from scratch. Just find some code that pretty much does what you want it to, then modify it for your application.

You can get one of the starter kits that will come with a prototyping board, parts, and a booklet with projects. You start off uploading and modifying some basic code and building some simple circuits. If you have zero experience in electronics and programming, this is a great way to learn since it goes in small easy to follow steps, but the steps aren't so slow that you get bored. There will also be lots of help available if you run into issues. Intimidation free way of getting into it.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
The Arduino platform was originally created for artists to create interactive and responsive art installations.
It wasn't made for artists specifically. Engineers use it to fast prototype their products. You don't have to spend a lot of time brain storming. It's also made for the hobby biz.

I have an art installation idea for the arduino but I'm waiting for another product to come into the market.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

Thanks guy will look at the "learning kit" form arduino that was my fisrt idea but dint want to invest for something i would be able to use. So will give it a try and see how bad or good i can be with it thanks for the info
Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 AM   #11
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

So i been looking on flebay for kits and there a so many copie of the arduino board.... should i go with the original or some copie a actualy worth it?

I know if i get the hang of it the uno board wont be big enough for all the aplication i want to do so if i go with the mega 2560 will it be a lot different then the uno for learning? Should i stick with the uno for now and just get the mega later?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

The clones work pretty well actually. I got a mega clone for $14 and it's working pretty well.

Go with the mega. It has more input/output pins and more memory, sram and flash memory. Coding is the same as the uno.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
I was able to learn C++ pretty well in 1 semester taking a 3 hour course, and I think you could learn C++ well enough to do Arduino stuff by doing 10 hours of tutorials or something, if you're already a pretty techy person.

In other words.. no...

But like anything.. it is in the eye of the beholder..
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

So finnally i desided on a kit so this is what i order.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1401400207925.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	327058 and clock module
Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
PhysicsDude55
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
In other words.. no...

But like anything.. it is in the eye of the beholder..
Yeah I think you're generally right. If you do relatively simple things with it, and use pre-made kits and relay board, etc. then you can get away with mostly modifying sample code to suit your needs, and its really not that difficult.

If you try to do some more complicated tasks, then things might start getting overwhelming pretty quickly.

I buy the cheap chinese knockoff board, since they're really pretty much identical. The only difference I've found is the authentic Arduino boards have better and more reliable USB drivers on them, but the processors are the same.

If you buy any expansion boards or shields, I would recommend getting them from ADA Fruit (http://www.adafruit.com/), all their parts are tested with sample code, whereas on Ebay a lot of sellers will list things that aren't truly compatible or are very difficult to get to work with an Arduino.

Just my 2 cents.
PhysicsDude55 is offline   Reply With Quote