CO2 system not working
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
Jvidi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 system not working

So I made a basic run-of-the-mill CO2 setup for my 5 gallon. It just isn't making CO2 though...any ideas? I checked pressure on both bottles and airlines for leaks, nothing. It is solidly sealed. My mixture is 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup water, 1/8 tsp baking soda, 1/8+ yeast. My initial thought was that it might take a bit longer for the yeast to start eating at the brown sugar and multiplying since it has molasses in it. I set it up about 2.5 hours ago.
Jvidi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yeast depends on temperature. They might not be as active in the cold. You'll have to wait till the next day to see any activity.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Jvidi
Algae Grower

I am actually getting a small amount produced. About one bubble every 2 seconds. I shook it a bit and it sped up for a second. Seems to be working, hopefully by tomorrow morning it is producing a decent amount.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:19 AM   #4
burr740
Wannabe Guru

Ive never used brown sugar, but it usually took mine anywhere from 4-8 hours to start producing bubbles. Doesnt really peak until 16-20 hours or so.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
Jvidi
Algae Grower

In all honesty, it was all I had around the house. I actually did a bit of research and found people using sugar and molasses together to prolong their CO2 production by as much as 7 days! The brown sugar I have is made with molasses, it was a pain to separate each granule because they are very sticky, but in the end hopefully it will be a viable CO2 source. Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully tomorrow around this time I will be making lots of CO2. I am planning on grabbing some more plants for my tank tomorrow so it should be good!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
DayOlder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Agree with everyone else but you might also check the date on the yeast.
DayOlder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
Jvidi
Algae Grower

The date on the yeast is Feb. of 17. I picked it up yesterday
Old 01-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Jvidi
Algae Grower

Just a small update after waking up my anubias has 4 new leaves forming. Wow!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Jvidi
Algae Grower

I seem to be having issues with pressure. Any idea on how to create airtight seals on the caps where my line is coming out? All I had was tacky glue but that did not work.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
zerodameaon
Algae Grower

Aquarium silicone is what I used, I stuck the hose through to the inside section of the cap a little longer then I wanted it to be, globed some silicone around and pulled the hose to where I wanted, then put silicone on the outside.

Also brown sugar is fine, I used it in my first batch. I have since moved on to the cheapest sugar I can buy and I do 2 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstartch, 2 cups boiling water in the 2L bottle, cap it off, shake it up, and let it cool down to just above room temp. About 15min before its to where I want it I mix a little sugar,water, with a tsp of yeast and let the yeast activate before pouring it into the bottle. The starch turned the mix into a thick sludge but 3 weeks later I have yet to see much of a drop off in bps from that bottle. Keep in mind this is a dual 2L setup for a 55g so even a single 2L might gas your fish.
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
burr740
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvidi View Post
I seem to be having issues with pressure. Any idea on how to create airtight seals on the caps where my line is coming out? All I had was tacky glue but that did not work.
In my experience, adhesives are all crap. Even if you get something to seal initially, unscrewing the caps tend to break it loose over time. The DIY CO2 thread linked in my sig shows the best way to do it. It's simple, neat, and 100% effective.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
Jvidi
Algae Grower

Any advice on a recipe for my 5g? I am currently using a sprite bottle just bigger than a 500ml, 591 I believe.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
burr740
Wannabe Guru

Not sure how much success you're going to have using a bottle that small. Think you need more water in order to have a consistent output over any reasonable amount of time. I would look at using something bigger.

The smallest thing Ive ever used is a 1.89 liter Juicy juice bottle + a 20 oz gas separator/bubble count bottle. With 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, it would produce around 1 bubble per second for a good two weeks, before starting a slow decline. That may or may not be too much co2 for a 5 gal, depends on the livestock. You could probably cut the yeast in half if you wanted less. Im just guessing on that though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.