Questions Regarding CO2 w/ 3 Liter Bottle for 10 Gallon Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
rakta1618
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Questions Regarding CO2 w/ 3 Liter Bottle for 10 Gallon Tank

I'm setting up a yeast co2 reactor using a 3 liter bottle for my 10 gallon tank. The co2 is primarily for the hairgrass in hopes of making it carpet, the tank also has myrio, water sprite, and anubias nana.

What bps should I aim for to achieve 30ppm co2? I currently use some excel and wish to end its use.

How much yeast and sugar should I use? I'm thinking 1/4tsp of yeast and 2cup sugar in 2 liter water.

Is there anything I should be aware of in using a 3 liter bottle over a 2 liter bottle? I figure a bigger bottle will help the yeast survive longer.

I'm hoping to set this up tonight, have the reactor going to a check valve going to a bubble counter going to a diffuser sitting below the hob filter intake.
rakta1618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
burr740
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

What you said sounds about right to start with, the recipe, and yeah more water will allow the yeast to survive longer. If you find that recipe is not enough CO2, rather that upping the yeast, I would suggest going to a two bottle system, maybe two 2 liters with the same yeast:sugar. Having two bottles on staggered start/change time is easier to maintain a consistent, steady output over the long haul. Two bottles changing out one per week, for example.

That is the main thing you want to avoid - up and down levels. Just keep an eye on the bubble rate, especially with only one bottle. Be ready to make a new mixture the moment production begins to slow down....at all.

As for what bubble rate for x ppm, that depends on a lot of factors which vary from one tank to another. 1 bps would probably be a good starting point though.

There's a couple links in my sig that may offer some additional food for thought.
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
rakta1618
Algae Grower

With a two bottle setup, would I need a third bottle where the two bottles input co2 into? Or can I have them both go into tubing that leads to the bubble counter?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
burr740
Wannabe Guru

The two reactor bottles can go straight into the gas separator/bubble counter bottle. You can tie them together and have one line going into the bubble counter, or you can run each one separately.

The benefit of running them separate is it allows you to see exactly what each bottle is producing. Ive done it both ways:

Two reactor bottles, ran separately:

Three reactor bottles, ran separately:

Two reactor bottles, tied together into a single line:

If you just want to use a regular bubble counter of some kind, but not an actual bottle for that, then you would tee the two reactor bottles together and have a single line to the bubble counter.

Last edited by burr740; 06-10-2015 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: .
Old 06-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
rakta1618
Algae Grower

Awesome, this is very helpful. I noticed you used juice bottles over coke bottles, I guess that means they are also designed to withstand pressure?

What is your preferred method of diffusing co2 into the tank? I was thinking a small ceramic diffuser under the filter intake tube.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
burr740
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakta1618 View Post
Awesome, this is very helpful. I noticed you used juice bottles over coke bottles, I guess that means they are also designed to withstand pressure?
Eh...doubt it. I just liked the size and shape for where they were going to sit. Those are 1.89 Liter Juicy Juice bottles. Going on 15 months with the same bottles and so far no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakta1618 View Post
What is your preferred method of diffusing co2 into the tank? I was thinking a small ceramic diffuser under the filter intake tube.
That should do pretty well, assuming the diffuser you have will work on a DIY set-up. Some require more pressure than others to work properly. Sometimes the high pressured ones tend to not do well with DIY.

My favorite way to diffuse in small tanks is straight into the intake of an Aquaclear HOB filter. They make great diffusers. I like to use a chopstick or piece of cotton ball in the co2 line to "pre-diffuse" it, so to speak.

Chopstick

Then just anywhere in the intake pipe...

You can see a lot of other ways discussed in the last link on the right I have in my signature.

Tags
diy co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.