CO2 reactor with air gap shut off
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
yoshi3k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 reactor with air gap shut off

I have seen a couple of ideas on here and used a few of them to come up with my own. So how this works:

If there is too much buildup in the reactor (an air gap) the float valve will turn on the water solenoid which will release the air gap. The only question I wonder is... Can the water solenoid run dry for a period of time? Here is a sketch for clarification.

yoshi3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
Planted Member

What is the purpose here? I use an empty d-402 and never had any noise, problems, or issues whatsoever.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 AM   #3
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You want the CO2 in at the other end, further from the output. Aside from that, if you have a big CO2 bubble in your reactor, you need to figure out why, not just turn off your CO2.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
klibs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

A properly working reactor should never have air buildup inside. You are trying to create a fail-safe for an issue that should not exist in the first place. Also the CO2 should be injected near the top. Just make a classic Rex Grigg reactor - bells and whistles are not necessary.
klibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
yoshi3k
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. I guess if I have a big bubble it could be a flow problem.
yoshi3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

I believe it is best to introduce the CO2 near the bottom, not near the top. The body of the reactor should be big enough that the velocity of the moving water is low enough that it can't cause the bubbles to be swept out the outlet. Introducing the CO2 at the bottom is to allow the bubbles to float up, with CO2 dissolving into the water on the way up. I am pretty sure it will work either way.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
mattcham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I believe it is best to introduce the CO2 near the bottom, not near the top. Introducing the CO2 at the bottom is to allow the bubbles to float up, with CO2 dissolving into the water on the way up. I am pretty sure it will work either way.
I built my reactor 4 weeks ago with that in mind. CO2 entering near bottom of tube. I even followed you tube videos showing this exact phenomenon and assembly guide.

Guess what? I hook it up to my Fluval FX6 and the flow is so high that all the bubbles go straight down into the canister and never float up. I guess the concept only works if your flow is not as high as the fluval FX6 at 525+ gallons per hour. My reactor tube is 2" inner diameter and my fluval hoses are almost 1" inner diameter.
mattcham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
I built my reactor 4 weeks ago with that in mind. CO2 entering near bottom of tube. I even followed you tube videos showing this exact phenomenon and assembly guide.

Guess what? I hook it up to my Fluval FX6 and the flow is so high that all the bubbles go straight down into the canister and never float up. I guess the concept only works if your flow is not as high as the fluval FX6 at 525+ gallons per hour. My reactor tube is 2" inner diameter and my fluval hoses are almost 1" inner diameter.
Two inch diameter pipe is not big enough for that large a flow rate. It is more suitable for smaller filters. I suspect that if you used 3 inch diameter pipe it would work fine.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Dr Fishbait
Algae Grower

You're saying the bubbles go straight into the canister, but I have always understood that the reactor should be on the outflow of the canister. That is how I have mine.
Dr Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
mattcham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

It can be on outflow too, either way works fine. I preferred the inflow side so impeller can smash up any escaped bubbles (in my case, 100% of bubbles are escaping into canister). The problem with using outflow side is that you will introduce more kinks in the tubing which will hurt your filter's throughput (gallons per hour). If you use intake side, gallons per hour is unaffected.
mattcham is online now   Reply With Quote