20 Gal Sump/Filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-12-2014, 04:22 AM   #1
EndlerGame
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20 Gal Sump/Filter

I recently was generously given several tanks, lights, pumps, and various equipment for free by someone who hasn't had any of it set-up in years. I am now in the process of setting up a 58 gallon Oceanic Reef-Ready Black Oak Tank/Stand Setup. I'm setting it up as a freshwater planted system, and though I've never used a sump on a tank, since it's already drilled with a corner overflow box, I figured I'd give it a go.

Sumps are alot more common in saltwater setups, from what I can tell, so I haven't had much luck finding anyone else's freshwater sumps/plans. I'm planning on using a twenty gallon tank for the sump, and have about half of the tank filter media and half refugium. I hope to get a rudimentary drawing up here soon to show my plan.

A question I have for anyone with experience with freshwater sumps...will the pressure from water overflowing into the sump intake be enough to force water through dense filter media, like if I packed it in like a canister filter, with filter foam, pads, sponges, bio balls, ceramic, etc? Or is it better to just run a sump with looser filter media, like bio-balls, for biological filtration, and then run a canister filter for the mechanical filter? I'll be running it with a pump thats rated for 37 L/min, which I believe is 600 gph.
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*
EndlerGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Default 20 Gal Sump/Filter

You shouldn't have a problem using the media you want. But if you want a suggestion, go get yourself a couple bags of lava rock from the hardware store, usually around $3.50, give it a good rinse and use that as your bio-filter media. Then go to a craft store or perhaps a Walmart, and get some felt and quilting batting, I sew my own filter pads and save a ton of money. Recently I made about $600 (retail) worth of filter pads and filter socks for about $35. I had never used a sewing machine in my life till I made those, took about 30 minutes to figure out how to set it up, the one I borrow didn't come with instructions, but after that it was easy going. When I get home tomorrow I'll post a picture of how my sump is setup currently.
aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I run some quilt batting, course foam, and a bunch of java moss in my 40g sump.

I don't have a ton of filtration either, relying on the huge amount of surface area already in the tank from the plants to do most of my filtering
Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
You shouldn't have a problem using the media you want. But if you want a suggestion, go get yourself a couple bags of lava rock from the hardware store, usually around $3.50, give it a good rinse and use that as your bio-filter media. Then go to a craft store or perhaps a Walmart, and get some felt and quilting batting, I sew my own filter pads and save a ton of money. Recently I made about $600 (retail) worth of filter pads and filter socks for about $35. I had never used a sewing machine in my life till I made those, took about 30 minutes to figure out how to set it up, the one I borrow didn't come with instructions, but after that it was easy going. When I get home tomorrow I'll post a picture of how my sump is setup currently.
You just cave me an awesome idea. I'm building a 120 with a 40g sump. This is going to save me so much money!
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Port foam works great as stage dividers keeping media separate while playing host for beneficial bacteria.