New idea for DIY canister filter!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
bikeny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

New idea for DIY canister filter!

I know there are various threads on building a canister filter here already, so bear with me. I read through as many of the threads as I could, but was not satisfied with the containers being used, so I started looking around for other options. I came across these acrylic food storage containers. There are lots of sizes available for different size tanks. My only question is if it seals tight enough to make a canister filter out of it? My plan would be for the pump to pull water through it, so it would not be under preassure. In my application, it would be sitting right next to the tank also. What does everyone think? The only ploblem I see is I was thinking about incorporating the heater into the unit as well, but the hinged top definately complicates that!

Last edited by bikeny; 07-02-2010 at 03:03 PM..
bikeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
jwm5
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

potentially it could work, best thing to do is try. I have a marineland and ehiem canisters, the marine land has four clamps that lock it down tight, the ehiem is just four little clips and you can rotate the top slightly when closed, so there isnt a ton of pressure put on the clamping system.

how will you incorporate the pump into it or will it be external? it should be easy enough to play around with one and try it.
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
farmhand
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Are they plastic or glass?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
jwm5
Planted Tank Obsessed

he stated acryllic in the post, thats plastic, glass would obviously be too difficult to work with...
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
farmhand
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
he stated acryllic in the post, thats plastic, glass would obviously be too difficult to work with...
Can you say that a little louder? Didn't catch it.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

My experience with these is limited to a pasta container about six inches in diameter about the shape of the 2nd from the left and a spaghetti container like the one on the left. The metal fitting for the lid would not be appropriate for a canister under much pressure.

I suggest that if you drill carefully, use compression fittings so you don't stress the acrylic by screwing into it, and keep the canister near the tank so you aren't stressing the connections when moving the hoses, it would be worth a try. I'd be leery of tapping or gluing fittings in place. Please keep us informed if you follow up on this.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Reginald2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmhand View Post
Can you say that a little louder? Didn't catch it.

lol

I thought canister filters had to be below the tank in order to work. Like it siphons the water out and pumps it back in. I don't really know though

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
Reginald2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
ShrimpMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

That is an idea, but...
I've tried to build 2 canisters from diy directions, they worked, and I build yet another one using something similar.
The biggest problem I encountered were:
1- Price, at the end of it all, hoses, connections, glues, media, trial and error parts... end up costing almost double an already proven design, such as an eheim.
2- Finding the right connections and valves that will make your job of cleaning it up easy, and you might want to control the flow and remember you'd have to remove the hoses before moving the filter where you can clean and make a mess.
3- Bonding different materials, there isn't an universal glue/adhesive, bonding pvc, acrylic, glass, rubber, hoses, all of them take a different adhesive and it's almost impossible to bond 2 different materials with a nontoxic adhesive.
4- Time is money, well too much time and trial and errors, at the end of it all you'll have too much head ache for something you could have just bought at a store and never worry about it.
5-Medias... well if you want a basket to separate the medias, well you'll have to spend even more money and time.

But if you have some time and money spare, and like challenges, don't forget to make a pic journal, everyone will enjoy seeing anything being built!
ShrimpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
farmhand
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpMan View Post
The biggest problem I encountered were:
1- Price, at the end of it all, hoses, connections, glues, media, trial and error parts... end up costing almost double an already proven design, such as an eheim.
+ agree with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpMan View Post
But if you have some time and money spare, and like challenges, don't forget to make a pic journal, everyone will enjoy seeing anything being built!
++ agree again! Do it for the fun, not to save money. Of course when a project ends up only costing a few cents, it's fun to talk about
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

I built a cannister with those once. It was a nightmare to get it to not leak at the seals, and when I finally got it to stop, I was too paranoid to ever use it on a tank.

The way you describe the set up should help minimize the water pressure inside the unit, but still, I wouldn't advise it. The main problem was that the lid is circular, but the opening is a bit ovoid because of the pressure placed on it by the metal hardware.
Drilling them isn't very easy either. Hard acrylic like that has the tendency to crack and chip if you aren't super careful.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote