Rex's websites gone now too - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

GLA does not sell parts individually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)

Clippard solenoids are the most common, but there are others like Burkert and Parker.
For needle valves, I like the Fabco NV-55. The Clippard needle valve is not too bad, but not as nice as the Fabco. There are several other needle/metering valves like Ideal and Swagelok that are expensive to buy new, but you can find them on ebay once in a while for a good price.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
phangtonpower
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
What did you need from him? I buy parts from the same distributor he does. I can get stuff for you if you need it.
I was trying to order a complete regulator from him, but because I live in Japan, there was some delay. I was ready to drop the cash since I found the adapters for the regulator. Would you be able to sell me one of his regulators with a fabco?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

I am waiting for some parts to arrive next week for a few regulators I am building. I can sell you one of those or start another one from scratch for you. How much was it going to be for the one you were going to buy from Rex?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
phangtonpower
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

He never gave a clear answer to that and was actually waiting for a reply, but he said it would be $35 dollars for shipping :/

If you were to sell me one of the ones you were building, would it come with the fabco?

PM for price and shipping and stuff

Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

I am planning on doing them with the Fabco. The Fabco is the part I am waiting for. They are on back order until Thursday.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
If Rex has resigned from the web thats gonna be a sad day for me as thats where I get my GH booster.
I have a brand new bag I just got a few months ago, if you want it you can have it. It looks weird to me though, it has brown spots all over it. Is that normal? I thought it was a KH booster, my GH is fine, so I have no use for it.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #23
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
I have a brand new bag I just got a few months ago, if you want it you can have it. It looks weird to me though, it has brown spots all over it. Is that normal? I thought it was a KH booster, my GH is fine, so I have no use for it.
Thanks for thinking of me . Yes the brown spots are completely normal and get larger when exposed to our humid weather. (I think its the Fe component of the mix) Would love to have it as I use RO for all my tanks because of the well water. I finally have a weekend off from work so we're catching up on the tank trimmings and water changes yesterday and today. (9 glass boxes currently flooded) Keeping life busy we're planning a run out of state to attend a wedding next weekend (UGH WV). Leave after work Thursday, back by Monday for work so nothing but a day there and lots of driving.
If we ever get caught up my wife's mother lives in Titusville and going over for a visit we'd try to loop by your way to pick up those extra 20L tanks if you still had them.

Thanx again,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
tacks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I cant say I am sorry about Rex. Just use Sumo they are great. Ed
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #25
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacks View Post
Posts like this give me pause and make me mirror check how I come across dealing with others.
Liking the regulator he sold or not. Buy his line of ferts or not. Rex invested the time, funds and effort to put together a website that was a HUGE help to me starting out. No digging through forums or buying books to find out the fundamentals. Each topic covered including the basic facts needed to start out keeping planted aquariums without drinking the Koolaid sold at the LFS and wasting money. I have no idea how many people I referred to his site for 'newbie' information.
Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks is a loss and I'm sorry to see it gone.

AlmostNaturalTropicalFishFood.com was hacked and the site trashed. Ed may or may not bring it back.
Chuck Gadd's Aquarium page. GONE
PPS and PPS pro original pages deleted.

Stuff that's out there just to help others (right or wrong) I hate to see gone. It was out there in an effort to share and promote the hobby.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #26
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

I said it before, but not in an appropriate way. Rex's tactics and methods might not have appeased everyone, but his contribution to this hobby can not be debated. Without him many of the us selling planted tank stuff would have no one to sell them to.

Rex was a gruff SOB, but most of us loved him because of that, not in spite of it.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #27
macclellan
H+

PTrader: (208/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Rex's tactics and methods might not have appeased everyone, but his contribution to this hobby can not be debated. Without him many of the us selling planted tank stuff would have no one to sell them to.
I think that you mean Rex's writing style, not his sales tactics or methods. His writing style was great, but his sales tactics and methods were remarkably conservative and unobtrusive compared to, um, others.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #28
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
I think that you mean Rex's writing style, not his sales tactics or methods. His writing style was great, but his sales tactics and methods were remarkably conservative and unobtrusive compared to, um, others.
I never said sales tactics or methods. I was speaking in general. His customer service approach did not appease everyone. His absences due to personal matters are just not understood by the need it now world of the internet. As a retailer, you can never appease everyone, let alone please everyone.

I don't blame him for packing up shop. He had to get a bazillion emails asking him why something hadn't shipped or why there was no answer. That just means he is doing what is good for him. Sad that we lost the resource, but he has been absent from this forum for years.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #29
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacks View Post
Posts like this make me sad. Sumo probably wouldn't even be around if it weren't for Rex, as he was the main force in pushing people away from crap regulators in the first place. He was the first person to offer dry ferts online, and his guide and reactor designs were invaluable resources for years.

He made huge contributions to the hobby in this country and deserves respect for it. He would even go out of his way and hand deliver ferts in Portland to save some poor schmuck a couple bucks

Hopefully he will pop in somewhere and let everyone know what is up.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #30
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Rex was one of the main people in establishing a thriving online planted aquarium community. I remember back in the day in 8th grade spending hours on his site reading his articles, as well as reading his posts on forums. He was (and still is) one of the top posters on this forum, despite not posting in the past couple of years. He stopped just short of 10K posts before anyone else was even close.

Three cheers for one of the forefathers in the online planted aquarium community.