GSAS Sponsors Free Lecture on Aquatic Plants and Aquascaping - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Washington

Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Wow, the "Members Only" talk on plant collecting in Thailand was awesome! It was about Karen's two trips with Christel Kasselmann plant (and fish) collecting in various areas of Thailand.

Tuesday night is our regular GSAS meeting, open to the public, hope to see you there!

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
connordude27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)

I had to miss the Secret one but i will be coming to the meeting with 1/2 pound of vals, all the food people ordered, lots of R Rotundifolia, and some food to auction off.

Can't wait the meetings are always impressive!!
connordude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi connordude27,

Sorry you missed it, hopefully Erik will be able to put together a video you can check out.

The regular meeting is this evening, visitors are welcome!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
jlo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have to said this meeting is wonderful, all I can say is thank you for Karen Randall and GSAS for this wonderful meeting, I had learn so much from this meeting, once again thank you
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #20
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Francis!

Are you still in Seattle like your profile indicates; I thought you would be in TX for a month or so by now! How are things going down there? Getting warm yet? BTW, Seattle had the 11th rainiest May on record last month....you got out just in time! LOL!

Yeah i've been in Austin for the past month, missing Seattle already! It's pretty hot already here, may have missed the rain, but i'm also going to miss the awesome summer you guys have ahead of you. Things are progressing a step at a time here. How about yourself?
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

This is a quick review of the Aquascaping presentation which Karen Randall did at our GSAS meeting last night. It was an absolutely excellent presentation! This was the third time GSAS has invited Karen to Seattle from her home in the Boston area over the last 10 years or so. Although I was not a member of GSAS at the time of her previous visits, I understand her previous lectures were also excellent and very well received.

The first segment of the presentation encompassed the design principles utilized in designing a dramatic and effective aquascape. It covered discussion of aquarium size and dimensions, the Rule of Thirds, Golden Mean or Ratio, use of open space, leaf textures and colors, converging lines, and several other design aspects.

The second part of the presentation was a pictorial review of some of the top winners and place finishers in the AGA and ADA Aquascaping Contests over the last 10 or so years. Not only did we get to see how the design principles she had covered were implemented in those aquascapes, but we also got the perspective of an ADA / AGA judge on the attributes of the various designs.

If you have to opportunity to attend one of Karen’s presentations in the future, or if your club is looking for an excellent speaker on Aquascaping or Aquatic Plant collecting, I would certainly recommend Karen Randall.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Francis Xavier,

GSAS continues to more forward! See the review above about Karen Randall's presentation. TPT member, Caton, made it the 4.5 hours from Okanogan to Seattle for the lecture and said he thoroughly enjoyed it. Other TPT/GSAS members jlo (Jimmy), who posted his comments on the presentation above, and connordude27 were there as well!

I am glad to hear things are progressing for you. I certainly don't miss the heat and humidity of the Midwest where I grew up. Keep us updated on how things are going!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #23
connordude27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This was an awesome presentation!! Judging tanks was very fun too (today i rescaped a 1.5 cube to follow more "rules"
Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

It was awesome! Just wondering but what kilifish did I get? I am trying to Identify them but the writing was rubbed off. They came from Steve W. and are one pair. He said they were still young so they have lots of life in them.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #25
connordude27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know what you are talking about i just forget the name. post on the gsas email forum?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #26
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Aphyosemion striatum (red-lined killi) possibly? Thats what I think it is but I am not sure, stupid me...buying things and not knowing what they are!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Caton,

Did you find out which Killie you got? I would be happy to put up a post on GSAS for you or you can join the GSAS Chat here and do it yourself!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Arrgh...I cant seem to figure out how to do that. I think there where only two species of killi auctioned off, and I know one was live-bearing and I know I dont have that kind.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #29
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Caton,

Opps, I see you post did go through, it takes a few minutes. I also put up a post, hopefully you get a response!

-Roy

Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #30
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Go see Karen!!

I'll be there in Sept's meeting and you all know I'm such an

haha

Regards,
Tom Barr