ADA Room--60P Rescape page 21 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #31
globali
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best of Luck.
globali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #32
boon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

ya know, i could help you out with some of those tanks. subscribe and good luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #33
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I mapped out the room and the smaller tanks will not fit . ADA shrimp rack in the garage?
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #34
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (257/100%)

Sort of defeats the premise though don't it?
Could be a slop 10 gal and dual sponge filter barebottom etc........since looks no longer matter much once you start sticking things in the Garage.

I have the same darn issues.........I have 440 gal worth of open tops, but it's the entire 1500 sq ft home and I have dual pane windows(get them if you do not have them). I have a pair of 10 gals slop barebottoms in the garage as well.

Best to custom make the tanks specifically to suit the space you have available in each location. Then make the stands. LeeMar makes very nice tanks and you can get them there. If you have all the tanks, well then you have live with what ya got.

You can use the semi gloss paint they use in the Kitchen and bathrooms etc........you'll still get mold though without venting or dehumidifying.
The larger the temp differences, the more mold/condensation you end up with.

I pulled 2-3 gal a day from the air.
Electric also added up. Venting the entire home is not a good option.

Evaporation rates will be pretty high, maybe 1" a day where you are at during normal temps in the 70-90F ranges.

The Delonghi 400's ain't bad.

If you wonder.........I've been through this a few times, it's no fun.
Too many open top tanks

Best to plan/think now rather than later and a huge messy moldy "I'm getting a Divorce" talks with the wife. Course I'm not married either

A sun room that can be vented would be nice.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #35
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I respect Tom's advise but, I say build the room and set up the ADA tanks. Later, if it gets too humid or mold or whatever, then take some down. You have to try it first! most people that replied don't live in SoCal. Where we have great weather and can crack a frigin window open. I have 6 tanks in my bedroom for two years with no such mold humidity or smells and they look pretty darn cool too. I do keep an air conditioner and a room ionizer though. Build your dream ADA room so we can all live vicariously through you and be jelous. Jon has good taste and I have seen his set ups. I know he will not set up some of the tanks if it looks cluttered. Good luck and envite me to the grand opening.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #36
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (257/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaz View Post
The wife says no tanks except in that one room. I would love to spread them throughout the house but she says no. She would love for me not to have any tanks.
Damn!!!

I think you are doomed.
Vent that room then with auto humidity, tile and add a sink/drain for water changes etc, much like a laundry drain/fill with hot/cold.

You have few options, well, the garage.........or the dog house.
When you vent the room, the temp will drop.

So over size the heaters, since the heat up range will go from say 75-80F to 50F-80F. The heaters will work overtime.

Either than or dehumidify or a combo of both, an open window is fine for most of the year.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #37
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am going to run a siphon out the window for water changes. I have done it that way for years and it has worked just fine. The window faces the side of the house and will drain onto the lawn in front so the water will not be wasted and it will fertilize it. I have a 100 ft line on my RO/DI unit that I will run from outside through the window to fill them back up. I might try storing a couple of 50g drums outside the window and fill them up with RO/DI.

Tom, as far as the temps go, I don't keep fish so I don't have to worry about temps. I don't run heaters because my cherry and Amano shrimp don't require them. There is nothing wrong with having ADA in the garage. I have a three car garage and one side of it is already tanks. I have a 100g Lee Mar, empty 120g, and a 50g in there right now and it is where I spend a lot of my time. The tanks are there for my enjoyment so why not have them in a place where I spend a lot of my time. Sure, I spend a lot of times inside the house and would like to be able to stare at them as I sit on my couch or eat dinner, but I would rather have them in a place where I can get away and destress. It seems like everytime I am inside the house the wife wants me to do something off of the honey-do list. Having them in the garage lets me get away and do my own thing. She can't tell what I am doing when I am in there. Maybe I am doing something important, maybe not. She doesn't know and she leaves me alone when I am in there. If all of my tanks are in the ADA Room she will know what I am doing and probably come bother me. I am reading every word that you write so don't think that I am ignoring your input. I value what you have to say and am taking it all into consideration.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #38
benon
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default asdf

Agreed.

Don't let people discourage you from this idea. That window is at the top. Just run an exhaust fan.

I have a tank room with 4 tanks, and I have zero moisture or mold issues (of course, i have a huge cross breeze that runs through this room and a giant window)

Quote:
"Evaporation rates will be pretty high, maybe 1" a day where you are at during normal temps in the 70-90F ranges."
One inch a day? Wow! I don't get more than 1-2 inches of evaporation in an entire week. I guess it also depends on how much current you have in your tank.
benon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #39
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by benon View Post
Agreed.

Don't let people discourage you from this idea. That window is at the top. Just run an exhaust fan.

I have a tank room with 4 tanks, and I have zero moisture or mold issues (of course, i have a huge cross breeze that runs through this room and a giant window)

One inch a day? Wow! I don't get more than 1-2 inches of evaporation in an entire week. I guess it also depends on how much current you have in your tank.

Yep I have this issue also, but I have a cooling fan that turns on when it gets hot.

Seriously just turn the AC up fixes everything

Sell off the smaller ADA tanks! Keep the 120's and 90's.
Either way it's going to be insanely sick and I'm hoping for pics of everything.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think a garage fish room would be really cool. Too bad heating would be a problem in winter for my climate (Northern Virginia). What am I talking about, I couldn't declutter it long enough either.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #41
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
I think a garage fish room would be really cool. Too bad heating would be a problem in winter for my climate (Northern Virginia). What am I talking about, I couldn't declutter it long enough either.
We are spoiled here in So. Cal. during the winter. Some nights during the winter it may get down to the mid 40's. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
houstonhobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

This room sounds awesome!

I have all my tanks in one room for the same reason as jnaz, because my wife likes it that way. However, I like it that way too, because I spend all my time in that room anyway. I have my computer station in there and that is where I am if I am at home.

Plus, easier maintenance. I have garbage cans filled with RO water right outside the window of the room and pumps in there ready to move water around, so no carrying buckets.
houstonhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #43
houstonhobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I live in Houston. It does not get more humid than that. Trust me. My room currently has a 55, a 125, and a 90 gallon. Humidity runs around 75% in the room, 85% under the hoods. Goes up a bit when the lights come on, down a bit when they go off.

I don't have any mold problems. If I did, I would add a humidifier.
houstonhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #44
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

what about car emissions in the air when you drive into the garage. Wouldn't that be bad for an open top tank? Also opening the garage door open would drop temperatures really easily. Im still hoping that you build an ADA tank room. When i get my own place i want to try something like that. All 24x18x18 shrimp tank. I think its a waste to put an ADA tank in the garage but if it leaked it wouldnt be much of a probelm since its the garage. Good luck and keep us posted.
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #45
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
what about car emissions in the air when you drive into the garage. Wouldn't that be bad for an open top tank? Also opening the garage door open would drop temperatures really easily. Im still hoping that you build an ADA tank room. When i get my own place i want to try something like that. All 24x18x18 shrimp tank. I think its a waste to put an ADA tank in the garage but if it leaked it wouldnt be much of a probelm since its the garage. Good luck and keep us posted.
A garage for cars? That's crazy! Garages are made for man stuff and storage. My truck and my wife's SUV are too big to fit in the garage easily so there will be no parking in the garage.