My Very First 36G Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
llayz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Very First 36G Planted Tank

Hey guys,

First of all I'd like to thank TechSPEED so far for sending me and emailing me a lot of information

Story time!! So I've been reading a lot of information on this site. I have tons of questions as im trying to setup my tank asap. I really hate that its just sitting on the floor. I posted other threads already about lighting and questions but I'd figure I'd start doing it here since I don't want to flood the site with threads.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated for any of the subjects.

36 Gallon Bowfront
30"L - 15 1/2"W - 21" H
Filter: Fluval 206 Canister filter
Heater: Fluval 120v
Substrate: MGOPM / CaribSea Instant Aqua black sand
DIY CO2 system: 1/2/3 two liter bottles w/ Co2 Nano Glass diffuser (not using atm)

Tank Goals
My goal for this tank is to make it a Natural style with carpeted plants. I don't want a lot of maintenance and I don't want to use ferts or any other things because I get a little lazy when it comes to maintaining it. I only do water changes once a week and tank cleaning and things like that. So i don't want want to do daily fertilizers or anything like that. But I wouldn't mind using the DIY Co2 if I need to.

Lighting
Everyone on the other thread I created told me to go with the FINNEX Planted plus. I really like it a lot but one problem. Correct me if im wrong but, From what I found out It has its own two seperate switch for moon light and the light. I want to put it on a timer but I also love the moonlight at night. I want a light fixtures where I can put it on a timer but still have the moon light stay on/ turn on on its own. If there isn't anything like that then I'd prob go with the Finnex planted plus.

Substrate
I am having trouble figure out the substrate.. I know I would like to go the MGOPM route because it fits my budget.. lmk if there are other options that are cheap.. My trouble is i'm still learning and figure out the scape and I know I want to create depth in the tank so I want to lift the rear higher or add some hills or something, But Idk what to buy or what to get to layer. I know you should be layering it with big rocks or something like that? TechSPEED suggested egg cartons with gravel??

let me know if im missing anything and i'll add in the information as I go.

Last edited by llayz; 04-15-2014 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: update tank info
llayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
llayz
Algae Grower

Well I just ordered my Finnex planted+ 30 inch. Still trying to figure out the hardscape before I buy my substrate.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llayz View Post
Lighting
Everyone on the other thread I created told me to go with the FINNEX Planted plus.

Substrate
I am having trouble figure out the substrate.. I know I would like to go the MGOPM route because it fits my budget. I want to create depth in the tank so I want to lift the rear higher or add some hills or something. TechSPEED suggested egg cartons with gravel??
I have read threads from those using the Finnex saying is has wash out color look. Check out Current USA Satellite Led at Amazon.

Using the egg crates (ceiling light diffusers) is what I have seen others use.

Another idea by Mr Green in a 10G

A good overall fert is by select aquatics. If choose your plants carefully you won't need to do DIY Co2. Wisteria and milfoil are my favorite easy plants.

Last edited by Hilde; 03-04-2014 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: added
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Still trying to figure out the hardscape before I buy my substrate.
I thought you were going to make MGOPM?

I make my own substrate. Next 10G is going to be:
1st layer
Red Bag Kitty Litter Cup ---- $2
KNO3 -----------------------------------$2
3 to 1 ratio

2nd layer
Scotts Hyponex Potting Soil $5

3rd Layer

River Sand ---------------------------$3
Total cost -----------------------------$11
Still enough substrate left for 29G. In the past I used Scott's top soil and had no problems. Kitty litter has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity). Most of plants are KNO3 (potassium nitrate) hogs. Spectrided stump remover forKNO3. It is 100% KNO3.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
llayz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I have read threads from those using the Finnex saying is has wash out color look. Check out Current USA Satellite Led at Amazon.

Using the egg crates (ceiling light diffusers) is what I have seen others use.

Another idea by Mr Green in a 10G

A good overall fert is by select aquatics. If choose your plants carefully you won't need to do DIY Co2. Wisteria and milfoil are my favorite easy plants.

I think that's the finnex ray 2 that's washed out. So far I've heard great reviews about the planted plus. Only issue would be not as bright as Ray 2. But I was told to start low then woke my way up if I need high light.

I have the diy setup already so I don't mind using it. But the less maintenance the better.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
llayz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I thought you were going to make MGOPM?

I make my own substrate. Next 10G is going to be:
1st layer
Red Bag Kitty Litter Cup ---- $2
KNO3 -----------------------------------$2
3 to 1 ratio

2nd layer
Scotts Hyponex Potting Soil $5

3rd Layer

River Sand ---------------------------$3
Total cost -----------------------------$11
Still enough substrate left for 29G. In the past I used Scott's top soil and had no problems. Kitty litter has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity). Most of plants are KNO3 (potassium nitrate) hogs. Spectrided stump remover forKNO3. It is 100% KNO3.

I am going to go with MGOPM. But I still need to read about layering and figuring out my scape. Either rocks or wood. Not sure yet. I love the white sand look too. But not sure how that works with dirt.

What's kno3?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
llayz
Algae Grower

Woohoo get my light Monday. Hopefully Incan get this tank going soon
Old 03-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #8
llayz
Algae Grower

So I was cleaning the tank to make sure its clean and found this on the top rim of the bracket.. Will this be an issue?

Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

If this is supposed to be a new tank and it has a cracked rim, then yeah for me it would def be an issue from the point that it's supposed to be new. Other than that though it would be fine.
Chris_Produces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #10
llayz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
If this is supposed to be a new tank and it has a cracked rim, then yeah for me it would def be an issue from the point that it's supposed to be new. Other than that though it would be fine.
No it's not new. It's a used tank. My aunt had it full for a year sittin in the back yard. So I cleaned it up and took it home since I hated my free 30g deep tank.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
No it's not new. It's a used tank. My aunt had it full for a year sittin in the back yard. So I cleaned it up and took it home since I hated my free 30g deep tank.
Can you lift the rim off easily or is it glued to the tank? It'd be nice to look under it to check for cracks in the aquarium itself, as well as the convenience when it comes time to clean the aquarium every now and then.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

It should be fine. You can seal it with sealant to get it to stay together, I wouldn't worry too much.

-Chris
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
llayz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
It should be fine. You can seal it with sealant to get it to stay together, I wouldn't worry too much.

I wasn't going to worry too much either cause it has been sitting like this for a year and it was fine in the outside elements lol

-Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
Can you lift the rim off easily or is it glued to the tank? It'd be nice to look under it to check for cracks in the aquarium itself, as well as the convenience when it comes time to clean the aquarium every now and then.
It doesn't lift off.. its stuck on there still. looked inside the tank.. glass is not cracked
Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
llayz
Algae Grower

Got my light on monday.. Finally found time this week to upload.. Here you go!!

I love the light.. but I really wish they had a seperate power wire for the blue light so i could keep it on separate timers. For now I'm thinking about getting a blue tint and using my old LED lights for now as a seperate moon light.

I'm a bit excited now that I'm starting to get stuff for the tank. Now I need to figure out a scape.. I think I want to do white sand.. with a coral looking but with rocks. Deep cliffs with rocks and plants to keep it looking like a lake bottom.. Still tossing up ideas so it may change next time I post.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice! keep us updated on it.