Planted fishbowl
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm trying something at work, yes, I'm planting a 1 gallon fishbowl.

I wasn't allowed to have a small tank, but I was allowed to have a small bowl (1 gallon). I found a piece of mopani just the right size, and I've layered the bottom with stones.

I'm going to be using very low light plants like Java Fern. Hopefully the ambient lighting from the flourescents and the light from the window will be enough to keep this little tank going.

Its going to be an interesting experiment, I'm not sure what I'll keep in the bowl yet... Thinking about 1 betta with 2 shrimp, and "maybe" an oto.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

haha....

Somebody call Gareth a doctor.... he is infected with plant beyond control !

I just saw the koolest little setup at the LFS... Its a little square acrylic tank and I think it holds about 2 quarts with a HOB filter and a clamp on light ! I gotta have one ! Now Thats Nano ! :shock:
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Ha!

I just ordered 30 more plants for the 135 gallon tank (preparation for the CO2) too... heh
Old 03-19-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
Glud
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Glud

This is just me, but i wouldnt put a betta in there. I just hate to see bettas in such small tanks(bowls). I would put in a killi or two, and 2 shrimps.

Buck, yeah nanos are soo cool. I also saw a small tank at my lfs, it holds about 8 liter. Soo cool. It was lit by a small halogen lamp, no filter, but no fish. Wanna try it myself!!! I think i got some spare glass down in the basement.... :lol:
Glud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:12 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well, I got the betta. But, I did purchase a wide bowl instead of a taller one. This gives the betta lots of room to swim and explore, and there is a large ammount of surface area (8 inches across).

I planted using Java Ferns and a few small crypts. So far the fish is very happy, so much so that he has created a bubble nest this morning!
Old 03-20-2003, 07:33 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I love the nano tank on my desk at work. Whenever I'll get really stressed from work, I just lean back in my chair and watch my guppies swim around my 2.5g tank. They're not exactly relaxing, though! They are constantly chasing each other around and I can't seem to keep more than one male in that small tank without them beating each other to death.
I might dump them in my pond this spring and try a betta in this tank.

I grow crypts and Hygro polysperma in it with just a 13w swing arm pendant kinda light.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #7
cerealkllr4
Algae Grower

Hi Guys

Just found this forum and can't wait to see it develop. I'm extremely interested in Nano/Pico setups and there's some cool stuff getting thrown around here.

I've noticed that Amano (?!?) Shrimp are mentioned regularly - does anyone know if they're available in Australia? These little fellas could inspire some very interesting DIY acrylic mini tanks!
cerealkllr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:27 AM   #8
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Here is the bowl, so far its doing well, you can see the tannin has stained the water a little, but the betta seems to be very happy. I have a bubblenest waiting for me every morning, but I have to disrupt it to change his water.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:54 AM   #9
brandon429
Planted Tank Obsessed

GDominy, I think you will be suprised how long that system will run on ambient light. The tannin effect from the driftwood is also nice, and I would still drip in a few drops of Fe fertilizer each week. That is a good nitrogen balance for the system (one fish)---isnt it nice to be able to house a tiny ecosystem in a place where you can't have a full-size setup? Go nano planters---
Old 04-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #10
cerealkllr4
Algae Grower

How's the bowl going?

I personally don't have too much of a problem with a betta in a bowl - provided they have the right furniture. Of all the bettas i have kept, i can't help but kick myself for not setting my earlier attemts up like this method. The fish are always happier healthier and more vibrant.

This is beter than the conditions they endure in most LFS's and their native country(where they are raised in small alcohol bottles - crammed into a tiny room).
cerealkllr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:47 PM   #11
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep trying to have my friend put a plant (I offered to give him a free anubias- he had no idea it was worth up to $10!) in his betta bowl, but he says if he does the fish will die! He is closed-minded anyway... So it is great seeing SOMEONE put plants in a bowl! Great job!

-Tim
Old 04-09-2003, 01:19 AM   #12
brandon429
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree about the bettas being well-cared for in the proper setup anything that has light and plants would be healthier than an alcohol bottle@!--the thick leaves of anubias make them great nano plants. Very slow growing and very forgiving of water parameters. Id take a free one
Old 04-17-2003, 11:42 PM   #13
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well so far so good, the bowl is doing well. I am having some difficulty controlling a minor algae bloom that started after I had a few sick days and could not change his water. One of my coworkers was very nice and turned on his light for him, but forgot to turn it off (oops!).

The plants are doing very well though, much better then expected. The Java Ferns have thrown off some plantlets, and the crypt has produced 2 new leaves!

I have tried adding shrimp and snails to this tank but my betta is insane and spits them out of the bowl with great gusto. its very unerving to be hit in the hand with a wet dead shrimp while your typing away....
Old 04-18-2003, 03:09 AM   #14
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

Quote:
its very unerving to be hit in the hand with a wet dead shrimp while your typing
OK it could be because it is late, or it could be cause I am slightly disturbed, but I simply can't help but get a good chuckle out of that.

Kelly
Old 07-16-2003, 02:25 AM   #15
aqua art
Algae Grower

I have started a aquarium cleaning biz here in Jackson MS. Sometimes when I have an interested client, I give them a 1/2 gal bowl / a betta and a small low light plant. they have been deal makers and I love getting new people started. So far each plant and fish have done well. I believe the plant and betta help balance the environment for the other.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
aqua art is offline   Reply With Quote