40 gallon Riparium.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

40 gallon Riparium.


I just got a 40 gallon breeder tank: All glass/black trim.
Substrate: active flora mixed with sand.
Plants: java moss, Christmas moss, java fern,water sprite, dwarf grass, sword...
Lighting: i will either buy a 36'' fixture or try a DIY.
Filtration: elite power head and whisper 10 intank filter.
Heater: 50 watt submersable.
this is going to be dwarf inverts tank( shrimp, snails, crayfish).
I have 2 drift woods (about 12''x5'')and rocks(4'' to 6''), any suggestion on how to arrange them?
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru
 
Craigthor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (188/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dubuque, IA
Posts: 9,628
Default

How about some pictures of the hardscape and tank, without seeing them giving you suggestions is impossible.
__________________
Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
nemosreef
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
nemosreef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (54/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 927
Default

Is the 50 watt heater going to be enough? It really just does not sound like it eill be big enough.
__________________
38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
nemosreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
How about some pictures of the hardscape and tank, without seeing them giving you suggestions is impossible.
The water is so cloudy right now, i only have a picture of the empty tank and stand..i am about to post it now.
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosreef View Post
Is the 50 watt heater going to be enough? It really just does not sound like it eill be big enough.
I will not fill the tank all the way up.
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #6
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

The flat TV stand is now for holding the aquarium & light, it seems to be sturdy though and it perfectly fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_00~1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	20881  

shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (140/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,551
Default

Gosh that TV stand was a perfect fit.

How high can you raise up that light? If you can get it up a bit you could get some especially nice plants going in there.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
nemosreef
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
nemosreef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (54/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 927
Default

It's like it was made for the tank.
__________________
38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
nemosreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,638
Default

Before you fill the tank be sure to consider the back of the tank. A riparium looks best when the back is black, in my opinion, and that can be done by painting the back, or using a black window film on it. If you only cover the portion of the back that goes up to the water line, that is the ultimate for looking good. This is much easier if done before the tank is full of water, substrate, plants, etc.

What bracket is that at the back? It looks very promising for a light support bracket.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Gosh that TV stand was a perfect fit.

How high can you raise up that light? If you can get it up a bit you could get some especially nice plants going in there.
That's the max hight for holding a flat TV. if i get i light weight light, i can raise it more by using 2 blolts only to hold the metal bracket instead of 4 bolts thats holding it right now.
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Before you fill the tank be sure to consider the back of the tank. A riparium looks best when the back is black, in my opinion, and that can be done by painting the back, or using a black window film on it. If you only cover the portion of the back that goes up to the water line, that is the ultimate for looking good. This is much easier if done before the tank is full of water, substrate, plants, etc.

What bracket is that at the back? It looks very promising for a light support bracket.
I will use the same black background that i used for the 55 gallon riparium.
The bracket came with the stand for holding flat TV..brows walmart TV stands to get more info.
the other thing i like about this stand is the small shelves on both sides, in addition to the large shelves in the front.
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (140/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,551
Default

Do you have an idea yet of what kind of lighting you might use? If you opt for moderate-bright light you can get some nice carpeting emersed stems going in there. Stems growing like that and combined with grassy stuff like Cyperus is my favorite kind of riparium planting and that is what I had going in my 50.



A 40 breeder would also be a good shape for that kind of thing.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #13
AoxomoxoA
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
AoxomoxoA's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Do you have an idea yet of what kind of lighting you might use? If you opt for moderate-bright light you can get some nice carpeting emersed stems going in there. Stems growing like that and combined with grassy stuff like Cyperus is my favorite kind of riparium planting and that is what I had going in my 50.



A 40 breeder would also be a good shape for that kind of thing.
Wow that's beautiful! Tell me what the star looking grass stems is now please. I'm officially letting all my tanks grow out as of right today with all you guys' riparium posts/threads.
AoxomoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shrimpo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Do you have an idea yet of what kind of lighting you might use?
I want to get from mid to high light, if i have enough time i am going to use a DIY with 6 screw in light bulbs.
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru
 
Craigthor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (188/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dubuque, IA
Posts: 9,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyhermit View Post
Wow that's beautiful! Tell me what the star looking grass stems is now please. I'm officially letting all my tanks grow out as of right today with all you guys' riparium posts/threads.
That would be a Cyperus Gammineaus(sp?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpo View Post
I want to get from mid to high light, if i have enough time i am going to use a DIY with 6 screw in light bulbs.
Have yo ufigure out how much your DIY will cost compared to getting the Hydrofarm T5HO fixture that is pretty cheap?
__________________
Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012