DUKES Fluval Edge Reef - Zoanthid Garden -
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

DUKES Fluval Edge Reef - Zoanthid Garden -

Picked up a Fluval Edge during an anniversary sale at my LFS. Its my first planted nano and I love it, my only complaint is the tiny bubbles that build up under the glass top. But its nothin a few swipes with the magnet wont take care of.

No heater, no Co2, no lighting or filter upgrades, for now.

I am looking at upgrading the lights, found a 14w 6 inch under the cabinet T5 fixture at walmart for 8 bucks. I measured it in the store and it would be a tight fit in front of the stock lighting bar. Only problem is the plug in comes straight out the side. There's no way it would fit without moding the fixture itself. For the price i think ill get it and try to snip the adapter plug, hardwire it in, drill a hole and run the wire out the top or bottom of the fixture. I think it would work and be a major improvement! Ill keep you posted!

Only been set up for 2+ weeks.
Lights are on a timer with a split shift 12hrs a day. Ive found the heat from the bulbs help heat the temp 2-3F over room temp. Running split shifts keep the temp more consistant through out the day.
15lbs of black sand

Trimmings from other tanks:

Anubias nana
Rotala
Glosso
Dwarf microsword

The moss pads you see are from 2 moss balls that i tore in half a while back. Their PERFECT for this tank, Ive had them for 6 months under diff lighting in diff tanks and never see any change. They are VERY hardy and grow VERY slow.

Fish:

One lonely fancy guppy. He was a bonus in a bag of plants i got a few months ago and was just a wee little guy. Not decided what ill keep in here. The guppy is just testing the water

Leave me your comments

[/IMG]

Last edited by MlDukes; 04-05-2011 at 09:30 AM..
MlDukes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Mod time

So i decided to do a little modding this weekend. Took what ive learned from other light mods and came up with my own. I feel i made a big improvement over the stock bulbs and it was cheap and simple!

I went ahead and got the $8 6" T5 fixture i mentioned in my original post, It turned out to be 4w not 14w. I also saw this round 2w 24 LED under the cabinet fixture that was capable of linking 3 fixtures to 1 plug (via extension cable). The LED fixtures were 8 a piece or $20 for a set of 3. I got the 6" T5 and the 3pk LED fixtures knowing i would be returning one.

Got home plugged in the T5 and set it up there (didnt get a pic but would have had to do some wireing and case mods for it to fit). The T5 put off a nice white light but even running with the stock halogens it didnt make a big difference. I quickly declared the T5 too much work for too little light.

Hoping for better luck with the LED fixtures i opened them up plugged one in and WOW! Held it over the water and this one 2w LED fixture put off as much light as the T5 and halogens together. But the fixture itself was too large to fit even one in with the halogens. Decided to remove the halogen bulbs and mount 2 LED fixtures beneath the stock lighting bar. I dont know how benificial these commercial LEDs are to plants but for 20 bucks and a major improvement I decided to go for it. Made an exact paper stencil of the bracket that i wanted to make to mount the lights to. I would then mount the bracket to the light bar. Had thoughts about making the bracket out of wood, metal or plastic. Ended up finding a hard plastic side off a broken stereo. Decided It would be easist to work with. Made an exact replica of the stencil, marked and drilled screw holes and holes for the zipties.

Everything else is self explanatory, take a look at the pics. Excuse the quality, the first few were taken with my phone. Enjoy!

My 2nd hobby is robotics so i enjoyed somewhat merging the two on this project. I make alot of custom metal brackets for my bots and have learned when making a bracket ALWAYS start with a paper stencil! Its much easier to restart on a piece of paper then recut metal or plastic!!

Now for the comparison pic:

BEFORE

AFTER

What do you think?

Personal conclusion: I am VERY pleased! They are brighter than the halogens and are a beautiful bright white. The LEDs also distribute the light much more evenly than the Spot light halogens. These fixtures fit perfectly under the stock hood with no direct mods to the existing fixture! An extra bonus is that they are more energy efficient, I am now running 4w total opposed to 20w stock. Only downside is that im gonna have to add a heater since the halogens are no longer playing that role lol

I'll just have to wait and see how the plants grow under these LEDs.....

Leave me your thoughts, good or bad!!!

Last edited by MlDukes; 12-20-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
kilfrg7864
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

wow! looks awesome!! really digging the look great pictures too
kilfrg7864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Simmo2302
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

it looks good, still a bit dull towards the outer edges of the tank, but if does bring focus towards the center.

but i think the biggest problem that you are going to have is that the colour spectrum of those leds/light fixtures, will be all wrong.

being made for human eyes, they will have high peaks in the yellow/green spectrum (550-620nm) plants cannot use this light. leds and light fixtures that are designed for aquarium plant use have high peaks in the blue (400-550nm) and red (620-700nm) spectrum, which is what plants need.
Simmo2302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Everything looks swell mate! The scape is very eye appealing, only thing I can suggest would be to add a little bit of red to the tank.
Also I'm not an expert with lights, but are you sure that the leds will support plant growth?
Your pal,
Pianofish
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
jball1125
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

I really like the look if this tank. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see more pics?

Is what you tore in half marimo balls? Love how it looks
jball1125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jball1125 View Post
I really like the look if this tank. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see more pics?

Is what you tore in half marimo balls? Love how it looks
Thanks you!! At the LFS they were just labeled "Moss balls" but yes i believe they are Marimo moss balls.

Last edited by MlDukes; 05-20-2010 at 10:28 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo2302 View Post
it looks good, still a bit dull towards the outer edges of the tank, but if does bring focus towards the center.

but i think the biggest problem that you are going to have is that the colour spectrum of those leds/light fixtures, will be all wrong.

being made for human eyes, they will have high peaks in the yellow/green spectrum (550-620nm) plants cannot use this light. leds and light fixtures that are designed for aquarium plant use have high peaks in the blue (400-550nm) and red (620-700nm) spectrum, which is what plants need.
I really appreciate your input, I dont know much about LEDs but im beginning to see the light... I was really hoping these would do ok but i may have to go back to the drawing board. Ill give it some time and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MlDukes; 05-20-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok so i was thinking about what inhabitants i wanted to add to this tank and came up with a very interesting duo. I wanted to add something that wouldnt take the focus off the scape so i figured what better way to do that than to add clear fish!?!?! Just so happens a month or so back i picked up 3 glass cats for half price (100% impulse buy). Ive got them in my 46g but they just dont "fit in" with the rest of the community. I've been contemplating on what to do with them every since.

So last night i took out the lonely guppy and added the 3 glass cats along with 4 ghost schrimp to the Edge. I love it, from a distance you dont see anything but a nice planted scape. But when you get closer you start to notice things

Im sure i will get some criticism over putting 3 potential 3" fish in a nano tank but with regular WC's I think they should do just fine. Besides more than likely it wont be long term, Im sure with in a few months im gonna wanna rescape and add something diff.

Ill post some pics when/if i can. Its hard to get a decent pic of these little boogers.

Last edited by MlDukes; 05-21-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
nemosreef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)

Very cool tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
nemosreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosreef View Post
Very cool tank.
Thanks nemosreef!

(speaking of your name) I originally wanted to try saltwater in this tank with a single ocellaris clown. But... Ive never had a saltwater setup and figured it would be difficult to maintain water parameters in such a small tank.

Can any x-reefers out there tell me if its better for a beginner to try saltwater on a large or a small scale?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default EXCITED: New adventure around the corner

Did alot of reading up on nano (pico) reefs over the weekend. Decided im givin saltwater a shot!!! Very VERY excited!!! Gonna start gathering knowledge and supplies and then begin the long cycling process.

Im keeping it freshwater for the mean time.

I did adjust a few things on the current scape (not 100% happy with it) Ive got a couple open spots that are a bit of an eye sore. Regardless i removed the dwarf microsword, added another anubias and moved one anubias to the hole in the driftwood, I liked where it was but it was getting no light before. The rotala is growing like crazy, all stems have grown atleast an inch+ and looking very healthy! Seeing some new (speckled?) leafs on the anubias too!! What does the speckled leaves mean?? The glosso is sprouting new leafs but its growing up and not out... Glass cats and shrimp are doing great! Ill post some pics when i get home tonight!!!

Thanks for reading! If there are any reefers out there leave me a msg or shoot me a PM with your thoughts on doing SW in a fluval edge??
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
nemosreef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)

Water parameters on small tanks is a little harder to maintain on smaller reef tanks but is doable for evven a beginner. Reef tanks in alot of ways is very similar to planted tanks. Once you get a few things down pat it is smooth sailing. The only thing about reefs is it is a little more expensive to do. The fish get real expensive.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
nemosreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default LOTS of pics

Took lots of new pics!! Made a few minor changes. I really liked the look but i removed all the dwarf micro sword, I noticed some BBA on it from the 10g it came from. Didnt want it spreading. Added an anubias and rearranged another. I need to fill the spot where the microsword was.... not sure on what to use. Ive thought about moving the glosso to the back and trying a riccia carpet out front? Ive probably got a 6" x 9" mat of it floating in my 55. What do you think??? I also feel it needs something more in the right corner, any thoughts there? I threw some moss in the back hoping it will spread up the backside of the DW.

Got several good pics with 2 of the ghost cats. The 3rd is a bit larger and when the lights are on he always stays hid in the lil cave out front. The 2 in the pics arnt as shy and less skidish, they regularly swim out in the open but most of the time are chillin in the dark behind the Stump.

so anyway... with out further ado, here they are!!

Do you see the 2 ghosts in the last pic??? Look closer...

Last edited by MlDukes; 09-09-2010 at 12:31 AM..
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

It I saw the ghosts...Just wondering- why is it so dark?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.