Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #16
Dara
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

OK, I just notice what you paid for the Eheim. Please tell me you got that Eheim at a LFS and not somewhere online...or else I'm going to bang my head on the keyboard. XD

You should go for moss you find most pleasing, but if you still can't decide then ditch the Java moss, nothing common allowed in there.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
jball1125
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

Looks like your off to a great start. Subscribing for sure.
I agree with the above post about the java moss. Tank deserves something a bit more elegant.
jball1125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
Ranbaral
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
If you are looking for the Coralife 36" T5NO dual bulb fixture, here are a couple of options:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight36

I bought mine on Ebay from the seller 'big-edge'. He does not have any listed right now, but you could try to contact him.

Good luck!
Mark
Thanks, I actually wanted the single light strip. Double I did find a few of, no idea why single is so difficult. I did eventually find one, but it was more $ than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
OK, I just notice what you paid for the Eheim. Please tell me you got that Eheim at a LFS and not somewhere online...or else I'm going to bang my head on the keyboard. XD

You should go for moss you find most pleasing, but if you still can't decide then ditch the Java moss, nothing common allowed in there.
I'm pretty sure I have the opposite of a green thumb (brown thumb?), so keeping the java moss alive will be a task onto itself. That said, I am strongly considering throwing some HC or Riccia in there. Just for kicks, as I know the odds are stacked against me given my setup. Also, the Eheim was bought off ebay for a reasonable price, otherwise I would've gone with an aquaclear.

Speaking of thumbs, I got the tube stuck on the shut off valve on the Eheim, and in frustration attacked it with a pair of scissors. Bad idea, as I'm clumsy and I stabbed myself in the thumb. I ran around in a panic trying to find a band-aid, all the while my thumb was gushing (really, this was the worst injury I've gotten in years). Hope I have my tetanus shots.

Anyhow, after lying down for a couple minutes (I have self injury phobia or something), I finally fixed and installed the flow tubes. Not sure if I'm creating any dead spots. Also, that huge rock formation on the left takes up 1/2 of the width of the tank at least. Don't know if there will be flow problems. Maybe if I keep the outflow above the tip of the rock? Is that a good idea? No experience with any of this stuff.

Ranbaral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #19
Amazonfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Oh no! I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. Tetanus vaccines are good for 10 years.

So when are the plants going in? Why did you change the hardscape again? I actually like either one though. Those stones are definitely nicely shaped
Amazonfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
Ranbaral
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonfish View Post
Oh no! I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. Tetanus vaccines are good for 10 years.

So when are the plants going in? Why did you change the hardscape again? I actually like either one though. Those stones are definitely nicely shaped
I'm trying hard to remember my last Tetanus shot. I might get another, just to be safe. I am insanely paranoid when it comes to things like this.

I did change the hardscape, this time so that the tank is neater. I figure if I'm going to plant moss or whatever, it would be a pain to have rocks sticking out every which way. At least there is a large open space now.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #21
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

The very front and back right corner may have some dead spots, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if you mentioned this before, but what are you planning to plant in the tank?
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #22
Ranbaral
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
The very front and back right corner may have some dead spots, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if you mentioned this before, but what are you planning to plant in the tank?
Probably some moss/fissidens and/or HC.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #23
Ranbaral
Algae Grower

So...HC in a low tech tank? The consensus seems mixed (HC is a high light plant, blah blah blah), however I've been doing some heavy nerd research. The following appears to work with the least amount of effort/cost on my part.

The revised substrate/methodology:

1. Per Diane Walstad's method, add a one inch layer of Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Mix below the Floramax. I believe the Floramax is inert, but is a good source of iron. The Miracle-Gro will provide macro/micro nutrients. This appears to be a poor man's aquasoil, and because of this the need to add additional fertilizers isn't required in a low light setting. I'll throw in some fish after the tank is cycled so that the fish poo can act as a continued source of ferts.
2. Per Tom Barr's method, plant HC heavily (I have ten pots coming in) emersed for a few weeks. After the roots have developed and the HC is where I want it to be, I'll flood the tank and throw in some fast growing floating plants like Wisteria to hold off the algae. I fully expect the HC to grow either slowly or not at all in a low tech setting. HOWEVER, as long as it stays alive, I will consider it a success.
3. Add Flourish excel initially to smooth the transition from emersed to submersed, then try to gradually wean the plant off it.

This sounds like the best chance I have. Excited to get this started.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
bikeny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranbaral View Post
So...HC in a low tech tank? The consensus seems mixed (HC is a high light plant, blah blah blah), however I've been doing some heavy nerd research. The following appears to work with the least amount of effort/cost on my part.

The revised substrate/methodology:

1. Per Diane Walstad's method, add a one inch layer of Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Mix below the Floramax. I believe the Floramax is inert, but is a good source of iron. The Miracle-Gro will provide macro/micro nutrients. This appears to be a poor man's aquasoil, and because of this the need to add additional fertilizers isn't required in a low light setting. I'll throw in some fish after the tank is cycled so that the fish poo can act as a continued source of ferts.
2. Per Tom Barr's method, plant HC heavily (I have ten pots coming in) emersed for a few weeks. After the roots have developed and the HC is where I want it to be, I'll flood the tank and throw in some fast growing floating plants like Wisteria to hold off the algae. I fully expect the HC to grow either slowly or not at all in a low tech setting. HOWEVER, as long as it stays alive, I will consider it a success.
3. Add Flourish excel initially to smooth the transition from emersed to submersed, then try to gradually wean the plant off it.

This sounds like the best chance I have. Excited to get this started.
That sounds like a great plan, and is almost the same as my plan! I have the same tank (still in the planning and aquiring stages). The only thing I will do differently is use Aquasoil. Lots of HC initially, grown emersed for a bit, flood and dose Flourish at first. I will be watching your progress very intently!

Good luck,
Mark
bikeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

make sure you have a way to keep the floating plants in the back and not shading your HC. Obviously, if there's a danger of it not getting enough light in your setup, you don't want to let LESS light hit them.
jargonchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #26
Ranbaral
Algae Grower

So here's the update. HC is here, light (sent me the wrong one! Solarmax T5 or something? 36'' 21w, but no mounting kit ) is here. I added about 1 inch of Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil and about 1-2.5 inches of Floramax. Maybe it should be more soil? The HC roots aren't tall enough to go into the soil, but water should have some of the nutrients from the soil. If the HC starts dying I'll tweak the substrate. Anyway here are pics:

It looks really nice right now...almost tempted to just leave it as a terrarium if the HC grows well. I don't think I'll be able to handle the possibility all this HC dying when I flood the tank.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #27
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

The only downside to terrariums like that is that the glass is always fogged up. Otherwise I'm sure that we'd be seeing a lot of empty aquariums around here
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #28
defiant
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

i really like the way this tank came out. Ive been seeing quite a few of these mr. aqua tanks coming up. I just got mine and started getting all my equipment. Like everyone else im trying to stay low budget on mine. Good luck with the HC I'll be planting mine on Friday.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #29
El Funko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking for an update on this thread. I'm thinking of buying this tank, and finding a light that will work is a challenge... Got pictures of the current status?
El Funko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
Ziabis
Algae Grower

Smile

I am trying to do an Iwagumi setup with some driftwood. See pics. Would love to hear your tips and suggestions.
Thanks
If I use the centre method it will be placed up on a mound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	110034  

Name:	100_3865.JPG
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	110042  

Name:	100_3929.JPG
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	110050  

Name:	100_3942.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	110066  

Last edited by Ziabis; 03-22-2013 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Adding text
Ziabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.