Is this set up good?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-02-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
Kit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi.
I went to the store to by a light set up for my canopy. This is what it says on the box...is it good? (I'm new to lighting systems) *oh and the company who makes it is riopumps and it's called a Realux Profesional Lighting Systems..

Retrofit Kit :22''
Double PL Light Fixture
For 2x40 watts or 55 watts PL light Bulbs

Whats PLS? Is it some classification of a type of bulb?

All I know is I spent $150 on it and they told me that I could practicly plant anything with this lighting system...

It takes U-bulbs...

thanks
Kit
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm not sure what PLS stands for. If you can use the 55 watt compact flourescent bulbs , go with those. They put out twice the lux as a standard flourescent tube. The 40 watt u-tube is just a standard 40 watt standard tube that you would find in a 4' shop light except its bent to fit into a shorter area. The 55 watt tube uses more efficient phosphours to produce more light per watt than a standard tube. They also produce less heat. I think the kit you bought is of good quality. The only down side to the 55 watt tubes is that they're more expensive than standard tubes but they last twice as long.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Kit
Algae Grower

Also, I'm a little worried about the little tiny screws that screw in the reflector into the canopy...sturdy?

also..the end caps have screws but the hardly screw into the canopy....

oohhh i was having fishy nightmeres last night....have you seen the same thing?

thanks..
Kit
Old 09-02-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

The reflector is probably made of a thin reflectiv aluminum. The screws don't need to be any longer than 1/2". As far as the end caps go, the light bulb is what actually holds them in place. There's also probably some bulb clips which screw thru the reflector and into the canopy, thats what actually holds the bulbs in place. If you feel the screws are in sufficient you can always hop in the car and get some longer ones at Home Depot or your local hardware store.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:04 PM   #5
Kit
Algae Grower

Ya..it'l hold. Hey, are these lights really bright? Could I grow java fern or is that to needy for low light?

thanks

Kit
Old 09-02-2002, 08:02 PM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Well that all depends on how big your tank is and how many watts of light you will have. 2 watts of light per gallon of water should be sufficient to grow just about anything provided you don't have a really deep tank. If, for example you have a 30 gallon tank and 60 watts of light you would have sufficient light. 3 watts per gallon would be better though. let me know how you make out..
Old 09-02-2002, 10:13 PM   #7
Kit
Algae Grower

ya, my tanks a 29 gallon. so i guess that works huh?

thanks

Kit