Easy Water Change
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
ericmooray
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6
Default

Easy Water Change


I have a 29 gallon tank in my bedroom, it is awesome and i couldn't be happier with how it is turning out. My only complaint is doing water changes, they are a pain in the butt. Sense my tank is in the bed room there is no easy way to do a water change. right now i fill a five gallon bucket with the dirty water haul it into the bathroom and dump it in the bathtube, this step needs to be repeated 3 to 4 times depending on how big the water change is.

To refill the tank i fill the bucket with water from the bathtub(of course i add dechlorinater and GH Booster) and haul it back to the bed room. Then i have to lift the bucket up and try to poor the water into the tank with out uprooting my plants. (all my plants are stem plants with makes the task nearly impossible.)

I have recently tried lifting the bucket on top of the fish tank and siphoning it into the tank but it takes for ever, it is strenuous and possible dangerous. I also bought one of the sink connecting water change devices but it did not work because non of the sinks in my house are threaded.

I really need to find i better way to do water changes but i just can't think of any. If you have any ideas or have tried something that works well i would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your help!!!
ericmooray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru
 
macclellan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (208/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 5,071
Default

Have you heard of a python? They are very easy to use ($ to buy retail, but cheap and easy to make using a hose). Here's the general idea: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...?articleid=848
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"
 
kcrossley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmooray View Post
I have a 29 gallon tank in my bedroom, it is awesome and i couldn't be happier with how it is turning out. My only complaint is doing water changes, they are a pain in the butt. Sense my tank is in the bed room there is no easy way to do a water change. right now i fill a five gallon bucket with the dirty water haul it into the bathroom and dump it in the bathtube, this step needs to be repeated 3 to 4 times depending on how big the water change is.

To refill the tank i fill the bucket with water from the bathtub(of course i add dechlorinater and GH Booster) and haul it back to the bed room. Then i have to lift the bucket up and try to poor the water into the tank with out uprooting my plants. (all my plants are stem plants with makes the task nearly impossible.)

I have recently tried lifting the bucket on top of the fish tank and siphoning it into the tank but it takes for ever, it is strenuous and possible dangerous. I also bought one of the sink connecting water change devices but it did not work because non of the sinks in my house are threaded.

I really need to find i better way to do water changes but i just can't think of any. If you have any ideas or have tried something that works well i would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your help!!!
This is exactly why I positioned my 29 gallon near a window. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1019912

Once a week, I simply drain the tank water out the window and onto the grass below. Then I use a pitcher with a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket to refill the tank. Works really well.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"
 
kcrossley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Have you heard of a python? They are very easy to use ($ to buy retail, but cheap and easy to make using a hose). Here's the general idea: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...?articleid=848
The Python is awesome, but since I'm using RO/DI water stored in a Brute trashcan, I couldn't get one. I did buy one of these to go with my vacuum though.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=18018
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Powchekny
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 367
Default

Here's what I do to refill my tank. I lift the 5 gallon pail of new, conditioned, clean tank water up onto my desk, and then allow a siphon from the bucket to slowly fill my tank. I slow the flow of water into the tank with a tubing clamp, so it comes out as a trickle.

The plusses:

no messy splashing with either pitchers, or worse, trying to lift and pour the bucket itself.

no worries about temperature shock, because my tank heaters can easily keep up with the addition of new colder water.

The minuses:

It takes hours to refill the tank like this. I don't mind because I can do other things, or even leave the house (so long as I don't try to refill with more water than I removed )

You have to lift the 5 gallon pail pretty high to do this, but only once.
Powchekny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 7,713
Default

eric, get a larger container, like a small garbage can. (a 20 gallon can could help you with a 50% water change, for example) You can fill this easier with the buckets than filling the tank directly. You can also drain the tank into it.

Get a pump and enough vinyl tubing to reach the bathtub. Somewhere around 100-200 gallons per hour. Make sure the tubing fits the outlet of the pump.

1) Prep some water in a 5 gallon bucket with a double dose (or more- see step 5) of whatever you want to use.
2) Drain the tank into the garbage can.
3) Turn on the pump to drain the water into the bathtub.
4) Give the empty garbage can a quick rinse in the bathtub.
5) Return the can to the bedroom and put the 5 gallons of prepared water in there, and get as many more buckets as you want from the bathroom.
6) Pump the water from the can into the tank.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
insta
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 234
Default

A powerhead will help you down the right path.
__________________
SunSun Pimp #10
Journal - 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"
 
kcrossley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insta View Post
A powerhead will help you down the right path.
Good idea.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Hyzer's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 796
Default

I can help you out with the second part of your issue. Refilling the tank took forever and if I didn't go slowly, I would uproot plants. I'm sure many others use something like this.

1. Get medium sized plastic container. I used sturdy tupperware.
2. Make 4 or 5 dozen small holes around the sides. I used a 1/4" drill bit.
3. Sand sides down to remove excess plastic(optional) and rinse clean
4. Hold vented container at water surface inside tank with one hand.
5. With your other hand, dump as much treated water in container as you wish from pitcher, as fast as you wish.
6. Pull up container to let drain.

This allows for much faster water changes without disturbing much. In between dumps, the container just floats on surface because there are no holes in the bottom. BTW, steady bucket lugging is a sport (flexes).
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
ericmooray
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6
Default

Wow thanks for all the input. the python water changer is what i had already bought it sounds awesome but it does not work with the faucets that are in my home (they are not threaded.) i kinda like the idea of draining the water out the window, but that only solves half the problem. The pump idea sound good but its also expensive.

thanks for the help everyone.
ericmooray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
insta
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 234
Default

http://www.aquariumguys.com/penguin550.html

Dude those aren't that expensive. Find them used for more savings. A piece of (I think) 5/8" inside diameter tubing will slip over the output of the pump. They can lift water about 4-5 feet straight up from a bucket into your tank. Just dump it in the bucket and put the end of the hose in the tank, and plug it in. Fill the bucket with a pitcher as it empties. This is exactly how I fill my 29G tank.
__________________
SunSun Pimp #10
Journal - 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"
 
kcrossley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insta View Post
http://www.aquariumguys.com/penguin550.html

Dude those aren't that expensive. Find them used for more savings. A piece of (I think) 5/8" inside diameter tubing will slip over the output of the pump. They can lift water about 4-5 feet straight up from a bucket into your tank. Just dump it in the bucket and put the end of the hose in the tank, and plug it in. Fill the bucket with a pitcher as it empties. This is exactly how I fill my 29G tank.
I saw a Powerhead in the clearance section of my local Petsmart. It was really cheap and tempting but I didn't know what I would do with it. Now I do. Thanks!
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru
 
macclellan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (208/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 5,071
Default

Yea, lol. Expensive? Get a maxijet 600 for like $20 new. That should be nothing if you're tired of waterchanges.

As far as the DIY python goes... no faucets are threaded? where there's a will there's a way. Buy a longer hose to reach a threaded faucet or replace a faucet (my connection is nearly 50 feet from my tank). Neither is expensive or rocket science. We walk upright, have opposable thumbs, and can reason - no need to still be fighting gravity.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
Oscar17
Planted Member
 
Oscar17's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmooray View Post
I also bought one of the sink connecting water change devices but it did not work because non of the sinks in my house are threaded.
Have you tried to unscrew the end of the faucet, most work that way.
__________________
Oscar

30g Juwel Rio Male Guppies, Dwarf Shrimp, Ramshorn snails. (since Mar 07)
14g in storage (Oct 06 - Jul 09)
6g QT (since Jan 09)
Oscar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"
 
kcrossley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar17 View Post
Have you tried to unscrew the end of the faucet, most work that way.
Yes, I have one of those fancy pants sprayers on my faucet and on mine that would have worked. Good suggestion.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012