Does televison light/sound affect fish at night?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Bacano
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Does televison light/sound affect fish at night?

Im wondering if my tv prevents my 8 discus from getting a good nights rest. I have a big flatscreen thats fairly bright with 5.1 surround sound in my room about 6-8 feet away from my 55 gal. I go to sleep real late sometimes 12-3am watching tv and i always see my fish swimming around. i tried putting a blanket over the tank at night yesterday, but when i removed it in the morning my fish got really spooked and swam into the tank sides and the driftwood. what do you guys think?
EHEIM-PIMP #383

55 Gallon
Eheim 2215, Eheim 2026, Eheim Surface Extractor, Ebo Jager 250w, Pressurized CO2 w/ Aquamedic 1000 Reactor, Coralife 2x 6700k 28w, 2x Colormax 28w, 45kg Flourite, 15 Kg Florabase, No Fert Dosing....Yet
Bacano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

I don't think it bothers them or preventing your fish from getting a good night sleep. Some people do put moon lights at night. And the only sound that can harm them IMO is a deep base but for that you will need to have a huge speaker that is facing a tank
I also don't go to sleep until 3am or sometimes 4am and 2 of my tanks are right beside my floor lamp and my fish is fine and even breeding
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
SirKappa
Algae Grower

I stay up till about 4-5 am almost every day. Sometimes the room light is on but most of the time it's just my computer monitor and the white light from the TPT website illuminating the room.

It doesn't seem to affect the photoperiod of the plants as they all 'fold up' after lights off, so I don't think it would affect the fish either.
SirKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
wearsbunnyslippers
Planted Tank Obsessed

my fish seem a lot more aggressive if i watch wwe :P
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Powchekny
Planted Tank Obsessed

Forcing your fish to watch "America's next Top Model", "Dancing with the Stars", and "Fox News" may result in piscine brain atrophy. A similar condition has been reported in humans.

Tom
Powchekny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Lance Uppercut
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I left the TV on by mistake and my fish watched jersey shore....now all the hair gel in the house is missing and my fish is a total D-Bag.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Brownthumb07
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I made that mistake once. They watched Jersey Shore and all the females had fake tans and implants and all the males had huge pectoral fins and 6 packs. When I went to feed them they swam to the surface and gave me attitude for not having more items on the menu. Then my big Jack Demspey tail slapped poor fat little Snookie for being too mouthy. I was forced to return all the fish to the petshop where I had to pay for them to take them.
Brownthumb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
rushr
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I usually put a blanket over my ten gallon cause i stay up late too. If i forget it, it doesn't seem to affect my zebras as you can still see them slow down as long as the lights get dim. I know plants need a certain amount of infrared light that they get at night to bloom but other than that it doesn't matter if some tv light gets in the tank.
rushr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My Silver Dollars watched "River Monsters" a show from Animal Planet the other night and now they think they are Piranha and attack me when I put my hands in the tank LOL
blackandyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
D'cecilia
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownthumb07 View Post
I made that mistake once. They watched Jersey Shore and all the females had fake tans and implants and all the males had huge pectoral fins and 6 packs. When I went to feed them they swam to the surface and gave me attitude for not having more items on the menu. Then my big Jack Demspey tail slapped poor fat little Snookie for being too mouthy. I was forced to return all the fish to the petshop where I had to pay for them to take them.
Were the males "beating up the beat?"
ahahahah
Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Bacano
Algae Grower

lol, funny thread, thanlks for the input everyone i feel much better
EHEIM-PIMP #383

55 Gallon
Eheim 2215, Eheim 2026, Eheim Surface Extractor, Ebo Jager 250w, Pressurized CO2 w/ Aquamedic 1000 Reactor, Coralife 2x 6700k 28w, 2x Colormax 28w, 45kg Flourite, 15 Kg Florabase, No Fert Dosing....Yet
Bacano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Matthew Gabrielse
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
only sound that can harm them IMO is a deep base but for that you will need to have a huge speaker that is facing a tank
How does this affect the fish?

I have a tank set up in my office with my turntables and some pretty heavy speakers, the bass vibrates through the house and makes noticeable ripples in the tank water.
Matthew Gabrielse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Chrisk-K
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

After a Pink Floyd concert at the Hyde Park in the 70's, thousands of dead fish were found in the ponds at the park. It turned out that strong sound waves (especially Roger Waters's bass) killed them.
Chrisk-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Gabrielse View Post
How does this affect the fish?

I have a tank set up in my office with my turntables and some pretty heavy speakers, the bass vibrates through the house and makes noticeable ripples in the tank water.
Sound waves can be very strong and also the vibration that deep base creates can't be good it's much louder to them and probably feel like an earthquake. I remember I was sitting on top of the speaker one time and the vibration from it made me sick, it felt like my whole insides where vibrating so think how the fish would feel.
I also worked at one of the clubs long time ago and we had an aquarium and the fish didn't live long, I wanted to save the fish but the top of the aquarium was locked
Old 05-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"

PTrader: (4/100%)

After having watched 24 for the past six weeks, my betta thinks the new gold tetras are terrorists and the new apple snail is some sort of bomb.

In all seriousness, the first time my betta saw the Apple Snail he totally freaked out and slapped his tail at it at least 5 times.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambient, discus, loud, sound, television