Scleromystax barbatus, Corydoras paleatus & Black C. Schultzei breeding tank ///
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Scleromystax barbatus, Corydoras paleatus & Black C. Schultzei breeding tank ///

So this is what happens when you browse planet catfish in the evenings and people post up about the cool catfish they just got. After I saw their pics of this unique fish I set out on getting them in one of my tank. Through the help of a member here I was put in contact with a breeder and within a few weeks had them at my home.

This is nothing special. Actually it was a tank that was setup to grow out my L183 fry but after watching them flourish in the tank they were born in I saw no need to transfer then anywhere else. This left that tank un used and in the Barbatus went. Here is the PC species profile on Scleromystax barbatus for some back ground info.

As of right now there are 8 in the tank ranging from about .5" to 1.5" and unless all of the larger ones I got are all females, aren't showing the sexual dimorphism that shows the males as a stunningly marked specimen and the females as a peppered beauty that looks like the pics that will follow.

Last edited by bsmith; 08-26-2011 at 02:15 AM..
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
mscichlid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Nice fish. I have a wild pair that I'm working with. I bred them back in 2000. Once they got going they wouldn't stop.

Hopefully you'll get them going. Other aquarist would certainly appreciate it for sure.
mscichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

a;sldkgoblidigook.

See, I can make up words too! I kid, I kid. Those are great looking fish!
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I have kept all kinds of cats but never knew about these guys till I came across that post on PC. It seems though the tolerate and actually prefer cooler temps which is different for me since my 183's are kept at 82. From what I have found there really is no trick to these guys spawning just patience Abd a good feeding routine.

Do you have any idea at about what size/age the males start to show their coloration and what the max size is? I have read up to two years and from 3"-4".
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
a;sldkgoblidigook.

See, I can make up words too! I kid, I kid. Those are great looking fish!
You aren't kidding. I thought ancistrus dolichopterous was a mouthful!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
mscichlid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

They should start around 3". At first glance the sex of the fish doesn't seem to easy, but the males patterns are more pronounced.

Yes, these fish breed and should be kept around 70-72. Feed a variety of foods and constant, good water changes.
mscichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscichlid View Post
They should start around 3". At first glance the sex of the fish doesn't seem to easy, but the males patterns are more pronounced.

Yes, these fish breed and should be kept around 70-72. Feed a variety of foods and constant, good water changes.
Looks like I have a while. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (73/100%)

Very cool! (My LFS owner is Barbie...a mod on PlanetCatfish, so I am lucky )

Good luck!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #9
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

That's a great LFS owner to have access to. She helped answer some questions I had when I was starting my L183 breeding.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

How big is your tank? Looks like a 20L but its hard to say from a pic. Did your water clear? Everyone settle in OK? It going to be a long wait but all of those long waits are worth it
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Nice! Just last week I was over at a friend's fishroom and he had some Scleromystax of some kind. They are pretty cool fish.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
How big is your tank? Looks like a 20L but its hard to say from a pic. Did your water clear? Everyone settle in OK? It going to be a long wait but all of those long waits are worth it
I believe it's a 20L or a 30L. It was given to me so I'm not really sure. Everyone is settled in great. They are really active just like most cories but are maybe even a bit more so. They also shoal like crazy deffinantly mores than any Cory I have kept. I think the cloudy water is related to the fact that I have never cleaned the 2217 that's on this tank (the one I have that says it's from west Germany) and it's been a year or more. This 2217 doesn't have the disconnects so that's the deterrent that's been causing me to not clean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Nice! Just last week I was over at a friend's fishroom and he had some Scleromystax of some kind. They are pretty cool fish.

They are, I would recommend then to anyone with a fairly large tank so you could get 6 or more and because I have read that they can get up to 4".
Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #13
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

They would be awesome in a riparium setup in a big tank with some Gymnogeophagus.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, they would a quite a bit of activity to the tank. The one thing I noticed is that they don't run up to the surface to gulp air like cories do.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
AndiH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So you know, S barbatus run contrary to most Cory species. The males are bigger than the females. You should start to see some odontodes on the males at around 3 inches or so I think and the markings seem to get sharper as well.
AndiH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.