Sulawesi shrimp guide *in progress*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
fishsandwitch
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)

Sulawesi shrimp guide *in progress*

Sulawesi shrimp are the newest shrimp for the hobby. They are very expensive running 12-15 bucks a pop. They are also very sensitive, needing very specific water parameters.

WATER PARAMETERS
Parameters should be almost exactly as follows:
PH of 8.0-8.2
GH 1-2
KH 4-6
Temp of about 82
The best way to achieve these parameters is to use water with the correct GH, the PH and KH of the source water not being important as the crushed coral will take care of that. The substrate should be crushed coral. Many people mix the coral with sand because it looks a lot better that way. You also need to use water with the correct parameters for water changes, so you will need some kind of bucket with crushed coral, a heater and an air stone in it. These shrimp are so sensitive it is not recommended to do any more than 10 percent water change at a time. This should be plenty however as you shouldn't be keeping these with any fish.

More specific water paramaters by lake, thanks billb!
Water Parameters Towuti Lake - Harlequins, Redlines, Red Orchids, Yellow cheeks and many others are from here
Temperature average: 30 C
pH: 8.3
gH: 6
kH: 5-6
Conductivity: 181
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 2
Iron, Copper: 0

Water Parameters Mantano Lake - Where Cardinals are from
Temperature: 29.5 C
pH: 8.6
gH: 7
kH: 5
Conductivity: 227
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Iron, Copper: 0
Phosphate: 1

TANK SETUP
But having correct water parameters alone will not suffice to keep these shrimp. They even more sensitive than other types of shrimp known for being tough to keep such as blue tigers, black tigers, and SSS crystal red shrimp.
The tank should not be heavily planted, these shrimp like to climb around on rocks. Lava rock works best. You want your rocks to be stacked so that the shrimp can be in nooks and cranny around the rock work, and also hang out upside down. They seem to like this. Some moss is good, but not covering all the rock. Driftwood is present in the lakes as well, it looks a lot like manzanita (sp?!) which is sold on this forum in the SnS, just do a search.

TANK MATURITY
You still need more than a good layout and good parameters to keep these shrimp though. A freshly cycled tank is doomed for failure. The tank should be well established with lots of bio-film. A good way to do this would be to use the tank for fish for a few months then switch it into a shrimp tank. These shrimp will also appreciate Indian almond leaves, but don't use too many at once or it could reduce the PH. This is unlikely however unless the entire bottom is covered in them. One or two at a time is fine.

FEEDING
These shrimp eat the same stuff as other shrimp. Just remember not to overfeed or feed too much protein. Both these mistakes kill shrimp.
Try fresh veggies, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and specialty shrimp foods like mosura and shirakura(sp??)

Here are some pics of the lake if you want to do a biotope

OTHER SULAWESI CRITTERS

Tylomania snails make good tank mates, they are very large compared to pest snails growing to several inches as adults. They give live birth to a single young snail at a time. Some species eat plants.

Many awesome fish are from the sulawesi lakes as well, but they are not available in the hobby as of yet with the exception of one goby species. Others maybe but very hard to find.

some people on the forum sell the snails from time to time such as mgamer20o0 and ZID ZULANDER. You can PM them if you are looking.

FURTHER READING
Courtesy of billb, thanks for these awsome links!
Here are some good pictures of the Malili lakes and the shrimps natural habitat
( in Japanese)
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...anaomatano.htm
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia-sulawesi-danao.htm
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...-danaoposo.htm
A photo journal of a collecting trip to Matano and Towuti (in German)
http://www.garnelenhaus.de/pageflip/...t-sulawesi.pdf
A thread in Arizona Inverts with the english translation! look down a couple of posts
http://arizonainverts.com/forums/ind...showtopic=1808
A scientific paper describing 8 species of Sulawesi shrimp and some notes on habitat
http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/57/57rbz343-452.pdf
I saw a post with a link to German site focused on diseases of shrimp and crayfish! Unbelievable! The German hobbyists are way ahead. Here is a link to the Google translated site:
http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG
For those interested, I did find a very useful paper that was recently published on Lake Matano water chemistry. Here is the link
http://aslo.org/lo/pdf/vol_53/issue_1/0319.pdf
If you can't open the file, do a google search on this title:
"The biogeochemistry of tropical lakes: A case study from Lake Matano, Indonesia"
In a nut shell - this is an ancient and stable lake. The upper water layers are clear and nutrient poor (oligotrophic). Low P, N and organic matter coupled with fairly high Chromium and Nickel concentrations. These metals may contribute to the low abundance of phytoplankton.
German site with a video of the Malili lakes showing the shrimp in their natural habitat. look about 1/2 way down the page
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...-Pvd_9ZLoeCg1Q

The original journal from the expadition which produced these shrimp with lots of cool pics!!http://www.planetinverts.com/sulawesi_expedition.html
Any other questions, just ask and I will edit the OP to be more complete!

*Please note I am not an expert on these shrimp someone just suggested a write up, so this is a start and I will make changes based on peoples responses. It is possible not all this information is 100% correct this is a work in progress and is based on my knowledge of reading various sources.*

Last edited by fishsandwitch; 04-29-2010 at 07:37 PM..
fishsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

Cool guide. To bad im mot ready yet or experienced to set up a tank like this.
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
janftica
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

thanks for the info...its great to hear how others have managed to get them to survive.
I still have a few in my tank, so Im hoping they will continue to survive. Its hard to see them as you said, they hang upside down from the rocks...then hide when they spot you looking at them.

I am glad you mentioned about the water change, as I have to add water to my tank and was not sure how to do it...now I do!! thanks
janftica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

"tough to beep such as blue tigers, black tigers, and SSS crystal red shrimp." Did you mean keep?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Great write up fishsandwitch! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have a couple of questions; Do the almond leafs leech alot of tannins? Will they create water discoloration, or is that what you're looking for? Also, are there different types of Sulawesi snails? I read somewhere that the shrimp seem to like having the snails in the tank with them. Is there a "good" amount of shrimp to have, per tank? What I mean is, are the different types of shrimp social? Do they need a certain amount of space, each?
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
"tough to beep such as blue tigers, black tigers, and SSS crystal red shrimp." Did you mean keep?
No, I'm pretty sure he meant "beep". It's a well known fact that tiger and CR shrimp still carry beepers. Amanos, bamboo, and even RCS have upgraded to Iphones and Droids. They just have to get with the times.
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
HOLLYWOOD
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Excellent writeup now if you have a tank ready you could be the recipient to EPIC's RAOK!
HOLLYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
adroit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure he meant "beep". It's a well known fact that tiger and CR shrimp still carry beepers. Amanos, bamboo, and even RCS have upgraded to Iphones and Droids. They just have to get with the times.
LOL too funny
adroit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
fishsandwitch
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=HOLLYWOOD;1056168]Yeah I pmed him asking if he would be willing to give me a week to switch one of my mature tanks to a sulawesi set up. I could never afford these though so I dont have a tank set up for them yet. I dont see any reason why switching a mature tank to a sulawesi tank would be less than ideal though, I could have it very nice quickly.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
fishsandwitch
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
haha, good catch! fixed it
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Sweet! I was thinking of biotype for my tylos.
Nue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
fishsandwitch
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
Great write up fishsandwitch! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have a couple of questions; Do the almond leafs leech alot of tannins? Will they create water discoloration, or is that what you're looking for? Also, are there different types of Sulawesi snails? I read somewhere that the shrimp seem to like having the snails in the tank with them. Is there a "good" amount of shrimp to have, per tank? What I mean is, are the different types of shrimp social? Do they need a certain amount of space, each?
One or two indian almond leaves will be unnoticable as far as tannins.

Yes many people say the shrimp do better with snails, I dont think this is true based on common sense but it could be. They dont benefit each other in any way. Oh yeah except making your tank super awesome!

Any size tank is fine but the larger the better as it is more stable. I would recommend a 20L or 29 gallon at the minimum, no reason to go all cheapo 10g with shrimp these expensive!

Some species have been reported as being more social than others, shrimp per gallon isn't important it is just important to get a decent number of shrimp so you have a higher chance of success. Id say 15+ of a species would be ideal.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

if your gonna pay hundreds of dollars for shrimp, then u might as well go with a GLA 48 gallon tank!
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
AquaDean
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Excelent fishsandwitch!!
This is information that a lot of folks are looking for and will be helpful to many.
AquaDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #15
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
if your gonna pay hundreds of dollars for shrimp, then u might as well go with a GLA 48 gallon tank!
Nah, if you're gonna pay hundreds for shrimp, might as well go all out with ADA. Why not spoil the shrimp?!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.