Wild snails and clams?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Yessabub
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wild snails and clams?

I was curious about if you could put wild snails and clams in your aquarium as a clean up crew i live in maine by a river so i have tons readily available.
Yessabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Here is some information regarding clams; in short, it is not a good idea to use them.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...s-filters.html

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wink Mixing Exotics with Natives and ViceVersa

I've added native snails to my tanks in the past but I would never do that again unless maybe I was starting a native setup. If you had pictures, Id like to see them though. I've also mixed native fish with exotics..

The issue with mixing native and exotic species together is that the parasites, funguses, viruses, and..whatnots (for lack of a better word) would be different from what the exotic fish would be accustomed. For example I would never throw a native snail into my tank with Cardinal
Tetras because snails can carry different lifecycles of parasites and bad stuff (again for a lack of better words hehe).

This applies to mixing most native and exotic species, not just snails and tetras.

With all that being said, I betcha most people in this forum have had their "experimental" phase in the hobby.
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Be aware also that many species of native freshwater clams (mussels) are in fact endangered species, and thus highly illegal to have in possession.

North American mussels have really been hammered by environmental changes such as dams, water pollution and exotic species. Many of them are going extinct.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
MWBradshaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Clams are very protected here in MN. And yeah, they say wild snails can carry some bad diseases, so if you have non-native fish, I wouldn't risk infecting them.
MWBradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote