Reactor Choices - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-17-2003, 06:51 PM   #16
kor4ever
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Most people place the external reactor before the filter stating that this affects the flow less and promotes more CO2 diffusion as the water enters the canister.

felix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2003, 08:02 PM   #17
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, so this is one step better that simply inserting the gas into the filter intake. You get the benifit of passing through the impeller and the filter medium, and hopefully the gas is dissolved enough to not air lock the impeller. And hopefuly there is no breaking out of the gas that enters in solution as it passes over the impelller, that would be a waste of energy.

On the other hand, the external reactor then becomes a huge mechanical pre-filter. But not as easy to clean.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2003, 12:58 AM   #18
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

To update y'all on the original subject, I got the CO2 tank filled at the local welding supply today (it cost $9.75 with tax...is this a lot for a 5 lb. tank?) and shipped the unused Carbo-Plus unit back to Big Al's Online. I also called Beverage Factory and they said that the regulator will get to me on Wednesday. Oh, and Arizona Aquatic Gardens said that I should receive the reactor sometime this week too. So it looks like the last thing I'll be waiting on will be the needle valve, which should arrive towards the very end of the week.

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2003, 02:00 AM   #19
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Placing the reactor on the input side of a filter is not such a good idea. Check out this thread at the AB Forums for a discussion on it.

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&m=8866095062
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2003, 08:19 AM   #20
Pancake
Algae Grower

I have great results using my reactor on the output side.I don't honestly see why it would affect the flow more on one side or the other.

If you have a pipe thats partially blocked does it really matter if your pushing or pulling water through it?Won't it just be the same either way?I think maybe people are imagining a difference.

The real difference that I see is that on the input side you get to clean it probably 5 times more often than if you put it on the output.

Pancake
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #21
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

I always thought you didn't put it on the ingoing side becuase it could mess up your filter.....?
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 PM   #22
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

There is a very good answer why having the reactor on the input side can cause problems in the thread in my first reply.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #23
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I tried it on the input side and I had a lot of problems with my canister burping. I put it on the output side and the problem was solved. 8)

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2003, 02:13 AM   #24
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you would put it after because otherwise debris and stuff might get in your reactor. The inline might work better because it would be more difficuilt for any bubbles to eventually reach the surface of the tank, while in a gravel vac one, the bubbles just need to get through the sponge and up to the surface. This summer I might make an external one, but I couldn't use my filter since it is an Emperor, er, I'd have to be pretty creative there!

-Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2003, 03:27 PM   #25
Rickster
Algae Grower

I wouldn't put it on the intake side because of reasons already stated but also because most pumps, canister or external, aren't designed to pull water. They are better at pushing against back pressure.
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2003, 04:30 PM   #26
nemo97
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to nemo97 Send a message via MSN to nemo97 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo97

Same one here (http://cgi.no ebay links allowedcom/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20757, right?
Less than $40 shipped from this eBayer.

John
nemo97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2003, 04:53 PM   #27
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

It makes sense that you would want to be using the best water you can get to be mixing in your CO2, thus the outflow side of the filter would surely be the best place to locate the reactor. I am using the DIY reactor I found plans for on the Aqua Botonic forums, in line on the outflow side of my Filstar XP3 and getting 100% saturation. I tried many DIY plans prior to this all with less than satisfactory results. Aside from all the above reasons, the reactor wouldn't require cleaning nearly as often when placed after the filter.
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2003, 07:23 PM   #28
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

Yes, nemo97, that's the same one. Except that one on eBay is a Factory Second and has a defect, but it sounds to me like the defect has been fixed properly so if you're looking for a reactor (and haven't already ordered one like I did), I definitely recommend that auction.

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #29
shadowcat_7
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to shadowcat_7 Send a message via Yahoo to shadowcat_7

I have been happy using mine bought from that ebay seller. No problems once I used silcone to keep the CO2 line into its socket.
Anyone else using this with the fizz factory pellets?
shadowcat_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #30
nemo97
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to nemo97 Send a message via MSN to nemo97 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo97

OOPs,
Didn't catch it in time. Now I'll have to wait for the repost. 2nd never bother me as long as they work as well as the 1sts. Saving money is cool no matter how you do it as long as you don't skimp on quality in my book.

Thanks,
John
nemo97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.