DIY co2 question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
FastTimes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

DIY co2 question

I've been running diy co2 for a couple years now and never had a problem. But a couple days ago apparently one of my kids/ ol' lady nieces, nephews..etc. knocked my 2 liter bottle over. I have a check valve to stop water from coming up out the tank through the tubing from my reactor but nothing to stop the yeast mixture from coming down the tube and entering the tank. So half the bottle went into the tank, but funny thing everybody was acting normal. I did a 40-50% water changes and redose my liquid ferts. Easter day when i turned my lights on the whole tank was cloudy and all the fish were at the surface gasping for air. I lossed 2 amano shrimp, 1 neon tetra, and 3 rummynose tetras. Im guessing the cloudy water is a bacteria bloom from the dead fish being in there for hours. But what im trying to figure out, since i didn't refill the diy co2 bottle, it being only being half full produced more than enough co2 to overdose the tank? the half full bottle didn't even cross my mind, because i was pissed about somebody knocking it over in the first place.

I also did another 50% water change when i found all the fish dead and the cloudy water, i raised my spray bar to create more surface movement, and added a air stone. I came home today after work and tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate- 0-5 (api test kit, color came out dark yellow)

Water still cloudy, im thinking its going to clear on its own, but if anybody has suggestion im open to them especially about when i left the bottle as is and it overdose the tank with co2.
FastTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

When I did my DIY co2 I would velcrow it to the side of the inside of my stand, so that it doesnt fall down.

I eventually got away from all that and went pressurized when I dropped the whole thing and it spilled.

Wish I can help you out.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Sounds like there is still some of the yeast concoction in the water. You will probably need to do another water change.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
FastTimes
Algae Grower

if i do another water change, that would be the third one at 40-50%. any other suggestions? im def. working on a better way to situate the bottle so it doesn't get knocked over again.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
tunerz
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)

Your tank is contaminated with yest. If all your fish died, why not do 100% water change, rinse your plants, clean your filter and start over?
tunerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

No need to sterilize the entire tank; several large water changes should help keep it under control.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
FastTimes
Algae Grower

all my fish didn't die, only like 4 fish and a couple shrimp, my stocklist was 5 rummynose, 5 pristella tetras, 2 neons, 10 cardinals, 3 amanos, and a few rcs. I think i'll just keep doing water changes until it clears up. I tested my water a few minutes ago and all the water parameters are in check.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
neoh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a yeast bottle reverse-syphon into my tank creating pretty much bread on all the plants. I didn't lose any fish because I took them out before anything could go wrong with them. Problem with the mixture, is the sugar. I ended up taking all the plants out, giving them a bath, redoing the substrate and a 100% water change, so basically a complete overhaul. This was thankfully only a 10g tank, but none the less, sugar is really bad for fish.
neoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
FastTimes
Algae Grower

well a little update, i decided to empty the tank 100%, rewashed the flourite sand and add all new dechlorinated water. Also put new water in the canister, i had already slightly wash the media, so i didn't touch that. I added some activated carbon. The water is still a bit cloudy, i'll see how it does in a few days, and i'll do another water change. All the remaining fish and shrimp are doing well.

thanks everyone for there comments and suggestions.