Any recs on Canadian online stores...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any recs on Canadian online stores...

...for fish and/or plants? I have only been able to find a couple of online resources and would like to know if anybody has any mail-order experience to share. I'm a US import myself. LOVE it here! But I am so jealous of all the mail-order opportunities down south...

On that note - I notice that most of the mail-order stores in the US don't ship here. Several say they will, but it sounds like there might be some customs issues. Any experience with that? Of course with the duty it probably isn't worth it unless it is something really hard to come by. Being a newbie - probably won't be an issue for me for awhile, eh?

Kathy
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 03:20 AM   #2
nater3
Algae Grower

the only one i know of is ottawa aquatics.
i ordered some plants a while ago but they havnt shipped them yet because it is still too cold.
http://www.ottawaaquatics.com/ they have a large selection.
nater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #3
Aulonochromis
Algae Grower

US import eh? Me too.

Petsolutions.com ships to Canada, and they ship US Mail/CanadaPost, so there is no duties, only gst/pst. I've ordered some supplies and equipment from them and am very satisfied, they also match Bigals US prices, which are WAY cheaper than anything you can find in Canada. They sell fish and plants, but I don't know the laws on importing things like that.

There is also pricenetwork.ca that has an aquarium section, seems to be alot of stuff there. Most of it is in Ontario too.

http://www.pricenetwork.ca/forum/for...php?forumid=24
Aulonochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Any recs on Canaidan online stores...

Thanks y'all! I've seen Ottawa Aquatics and they do seem to have a good selection of plants. Price network looks pretty good too, however, I signed up and the link they sent didn't work for getting me going. I can't respond to anything and they haven't responded to my calls for help. Waaaaaah!

I'll check out petsolutions...

Appreciate it!

Kathy
Old 03-04-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
jart
Wannabe Guru

If you do a search this question has been asked before but there are very few definitive answers as to experiences.

As you know, aquabid.ca is not functioning.

Try here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/aquascapes/

I had bookmarked a Canadian plant trading site from a couple of years ago but it is now a broken link.

Sorry... is there anything in particular you're looking for?
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
If you do a search this question has been asked before but there are very few definitive answers as to experiences.

As you know, aquabid.ca is not functioning.

Try here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/aquascapes/

I had bookmarked a Canadian plant trading site from a couple of years ago but it is now a broken link.

Sorry... is there anything in particular you're looking for?
Thanks Jart. Yeah - I did a search too (here, google...) and the operative words are "no definitive answers!" There isn't anything in particular I am looking for at this point, I would just like to decide what I want to start off and get it all at the same time from the same place rather than road-tripping with my book and notes from LFS to LFS all over the GTA to find it! Further noob issue - I would love to be able to go to an online site and see pictures of the plants AND culture information AND be able to order them easily. (I am SO high maintenance!) Ottowa Aquatics has pictures, but no info. The others I have found just have lists of plants. Nobody seems to have cultural information. I got a plant list from one site and the names are all wonky (don't seem to match up to anything in my plant book) and some of them are just (for instance) Medium Sword. What does THAT mean???

Like I said - high maintenance... I realize there is a learning curve and a bit of trial and error involved with starting out, but I am one of these people who wants to do all the research and recognize possible limitations and try to start off with as much information as possible to get it relatively right the first time. I look at the US sites and all the information and photos and just salivate...

Kathy
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
jart
Wannabe Guru

If you go to Tropica.com they have a good database of the plants they carry. Plus you can check out what stores they do business (directly) with. Check it out. One of the LFS here gets their plants from Tropica. They usually come with a plastic tag that tells you the exact variety you are buying; then you can go to the web site and look it up. Another (quality) LFS gets stuff in labelled as "baby tears"; who knows what it is.

I think Aftica was pleased with his Ottawa Aquatics order, but I don't want to misquote him; perhaps you could pm him to see what he has to say. Really I think wherever you order from you would want to touch base with them first to find out exactly what you are getting. Please keep the thread active if you find out anything else.

"Medium sword". Hmmm. Whay other/more information could you possibly need?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:27 AM   #8
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
Hmmm. Whay other/more information could you possibly need?
Exactly! I emailed them and they said that is what they get from their supplier so they don't know until they unpack it. Huh??? Actually TB Aquatics has some really good prices. Limited stock, but several that I wanted and much cheaper than Ottowa Aquatics. Get what ya pay for? Who knows. Guess I'll find out! I'll do some more checking and appreciate the info on Tropica... Thanks for the info and I'll keep y'all posted on my "quest!"

Kathy
Old 03-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #9
jart
Wannabe Guru

I emailed TB and they are having some trouble with their supplier and as such, they will not be able to ship for perhaps a couple of months. I also emailed Ottawa on the 7th but they haven't responded yet...
Old 03-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
jhoetzl
Planted Tank Activist

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Default little off topic...Montreal LFS'?

Do any of you canadians know of a good LFS in Montreal. I am flying up there today and will be around for a few days...actually, I go there pretty frequently for business, and just wanted to do something different. If it is reachable by walking the underground, it is an added bonus...I usually stay in "old Montreal" and walk to the other areas, either via congress' underground or near Le Reine Elizabeth. (Hope I am getting the names right!).

Thanks!
jhoetzl is offline   Reply With Quote