Review: 25W nano heater that will fit in a Fluval Edge HOB filter (4" long!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 AM   #16
tuonor
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I also ran the same test shown above using a VisiTherm 25W heater I use in my Betta tank for comparison...here are the results:

Max delta to room temperature (ie, water temp - room temp). In parenthesis are the time it took to hit this differential before stabilizing...
  • Up Aqua 25W: 7 degrees (12 hours)
  • VisiTherm 25W: 6.5 degrees (~14 hours)
  • Hydor 15W flat heater: 3 degrees (time not measured as this is an old test)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #17
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a 7.5W Hydor Mini heater (the flat ones) in my 4 gallon Finnex and it keeps the water at a toasty 77-79F. I had the 15W version before that but I replaced it because the water temp was constantly in the low 80's. The ambient room temp. is 76F. All these were measured with a digital thermometer so they are pretty accurate.

With the summer coming up, I'm on the search for a heater that is small but will not overheat the tank. I think I'll try the Marineland 10W Mini heater next and see how that goes. I'm in the same situation as you with finding a tiny heater that will keep the temperature at a constant tropical temp.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #18
tuonor
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
This is an extremely interesting topic for me. How/where do you plan on fitting the heater into the AC Mini?
Got around to putting it in this afternoon. Here's a quick how to...

Heater is small enough to fit either vertically

Or horizontally. I chose to go this route. The plan was to locate the heater such that the side sticking out on the right of this pic rests on the impeller cover

I cut a notch in the filter basket like this. It is soft plastic and cuts easily with a hobby knife

If you are injecting CO2 through the impeller cover (see the DIY in my sig) it may help to clip off this barb. This provides more clearance so the heater cord doesn't interfere with the glass stem on the ADA diffuser

This is what the basket looks like with the media in it. The heater rests on the bag of bio-media. I put a bag with Purigen on top (not shown here)

Top view installed in the filter...

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #19
D'cecilia
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks really kool.

But, do you think the heather being right on top of where the bacteria will
be settling have any effect on the bacteria itself? Maybe even in cycling the tank???
(I have no data to support thing, just wondering)
Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't think the heater will do any harm to the bacteria bed. Most heaters are only slightly warm to the touch. Plus the water around the heater will only be like 5F higher than in the tank.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #21
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Does this heater have an automatic safety feature where it will shut off if it runs dry?

If not, I'd be really leery of running it inside an HOB; I've had HOBs malfunction and run dry on me many times for various different reasons... even my ACs.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #22
AquaDean
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

That is a very nice application, really good pics too.
I'd put another half of a sponge or other media in the filter to use all the possible bio space you can. Doubt the heater would affect it at all cause the water is constantly flowing and will not be all that warm around the heater.
Great job!
AquaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
tuonor
Planted Member

D'cecelia, good question I'll have to see how it works over time. As TLE041 points out, these smaller heaters don't get that hot to the touch when submerged. Also it seems like people think the nitrogen cycle bacteria actually like heat (some recommend fishless cycling with the tank temp in the 80s or 90s to speed the process up).

Lauraleelbp, this heater does have an auto cut-off but admittedly these can be flaky. I'll have to check, but I think the heater is actually still submerged if the power cuts out. Certainly a risk worth noting.

AquaDean, thanks! I'm running a bag of Purigen on top, but left that out of the picture.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #24
Globe182jp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tuonor any more info where we can get one of these ????
Globe182jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #25
AquaDean
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Bag of purigen = Perfect!!
AquaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #26
tuonor
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe182jp View Post
Tuonor any more info where we can get one of these ????
Search ebay for "Up Aquarium 25W heater". Unfort can't post ebay links here.

The quick update on this setup, btw, is that it works, does not melt anything in the HOB filter or (in my estimation) kill the bacterial colonies. The thermostat does its job (right now I'm trying to keep the tank at 74 degrees and so far I've read a max temp of 74.9 and min of 73.2).

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
sammyman
Algae Grower

I picked up one of these and will be doing the same thing tonight. I will post pictures later.
sammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #28
Kwen
Algae Grower

Sorry for bumping such an old thread.

Any update on this heater/setup? Just had mine ordered off Aquarium HK on eBay along with 6 other items and paid $13 to upgrade shipping to EMS (PS: if you do order on eBay, if it's coming from HK or China, always make sure to upgrade shipping to at least registered airmail, provides basic tracking information)

My only concern is that the specs says it takes 230V 50hz, with a step up transformer here in North America (120V -> 240V), we're still gonna get 60hz out of it
Kwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm just about to go ahead and order one of these babies for my Edge too but I'm a little daunted by the converter part...

What kind of specs and/or brand name should I be looking for when it comes to purchasing a converter?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #30
Kwen
Algae Grower

I'd get at least a 50W one and if possible, an old school/heavy one (with a transformer) as opposed to the lightweight switching power supply kind, which I know are not to be used with straightening iron...I suppose one doesn't want to cascade 2 switching power supply unit together and an aquarium heater should be not much different from a flat iron

Otherwise, search on eBay for the "50W stainless submersible heater"
Listed as a 20-35L/5-9gal heater, seems to be of the same size and works with 100-120V 60hz but at almost double the price - I'm tempted to buy and compare both units but I'm afraid of the GF

Right now the only seller that carries it is goaqua88 (taiwan based)
Kwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, nano heater