My Finnex 4 Gallon Nano (RETIRED) - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #61
Tphillips
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Hi,

Yep, I still use the same 26W light that came with it. It's awesome. You'll have absolutely no problems growing any plant with that light. The only problem is finding a replacement bulb that's the same quality. I think we'd have to order it from Finnex directly.

Make sure you post a journal of your new tank. I love seeing what other people do with their Finnexes. There are quite a few nice ones on here.
Tony, we seem to have the same taste in tanks, I have an Edge, a Chi, and now I just bought a Finnex 4 gal. Anyway, the 26W light that came with the Finnex, at least mine, has a blue white bulb (30,000- 10,000K). The advertisments say that it good for both planted and reef tanks. It seems to me that it is closer to actinic bulb, which I believe is more for reef tank and thought not to perform will for a planted tank. So I am asking for your experience and if you have the same bulb as me? Certainly, your tank looks fantastic!!!

I was researching this idea/perceived problem and came accross you thread and also this site Aquatic Nature which appears to have made the light that Finnex is selling and also has replacement blubs.

http://www.aquatic-nature.com/2eng_verlichting2.html

One of the replacement bulbs is at 6500K, which to my limited understanding should be better for plants.

Any thoughts,

Tom
Tphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #62
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi Tom,

I find myself drooling over the Chi every time I'm in Petsmart. The only issue is the inadequate LED lighting. Are you planning on DIYing something to enhance it or do you find it sufficient as is?

The blue/white bulb does seem like it's an actinic bulb, which I agree isn't really ideal for planted tanks. I like it because it gives a really pure white color. I figure that only 1/4 of the bulb is actinic so it shouldn't have much effect. All the plants I've put into the tank has done really well so I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the link. The 26W "Solar Lux" in either 6500K or 10000K would be perfect for this fixture. Too bad they don't have an online shop. It looks like a primarily European company.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #63
Tphillips
Algae Grower

Hi Tony,

Yes, the Chi is a great little tank with the fountain on top and the built-in under-water light and filter. Fantastic idea - but that light it is so weak. I will see how my moss tree progresses. If it can't grow moss, I will likely have to do something.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ed-lights.html

The main reason for getting the Finnex was to finally have a tank to work with where the amount of light was not such an obstacle to overcome.

I am relieved to hear that you have the same bulb and I agree the light, to the human eye, is fantastic; both the plants and fish look great. The 6500k bulbs that I have seen do not have such a pleasant “look” to them. A factor that may also be helping this bulb’s ability to grow plants is that they claim the 26 watt bulb is so efficient that it is like having 100 watt light, so even if the percentages of light in the correct wavelengths are not predominate, with this much light, even a lower percent in the appropriate wave length for photosynthesis is enough for plants to grow. This bulb may also have built-in smaller frequency peaks that complement photosynthesis.

I also posed this question to both Finnex and Aquatic Nature. If they respond, I will let you know their explanation.

In reality all that really matters is that the light grows plants and you have certainly demonstrate this to be true, so I am relieved and thankful that you were there first.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #64
Tphillips
Algae Grower

Bryan from Finnex responded:

"Hi Tom

Thank you for your Finnex Pico Aquarium purchase.

Opinions vary, some strongly believe 6500k is the best for plants. Others claim 10,000k. Many contributing factors are also involved. I believe it is all up to the individual and their current live stock. Many users of our bulbs do very well with their set ups as you can view on different forums.

Our Energy Saving bulbs are not offered in 6500k but I believe marine depot carries one that will fit our unit. But to be honest, we have received no complaints with growth (both plants and corals) and I recommend you use the stock bulb. I'm sure you will be pleased.

Thanks Tom"

So with this information and your success, Tony. I decided to just use the stock bulb that came with the Finnex 4gal.

Today, I also decided to do silent cycle, bought a lot of stem plants, setup my CO2, and just went for it. No scaping here, just trying to do a silent cycle for now. To see, click on tank view under my UserName - you will also find closeup of Bacopa monnier, which seams to like the setup.
So far, all looks well. If these bulbs can silent cycle, this will be even greater proof.

Tom

Tom

Last edited by Tphillips; 09-04-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Tags
cpd, finnex, nano, rcs