My Finnex 4 Gallon Nano (RETIRED) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #16
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Thanks funkyfish.

The red colored manzanita that I have still has its bark intact. The beige ones have been sandblasted to remove the bark.

My two amanos don't seem to have any interest in it the white fuzz at all. I guess there's another food source in the tank that they'd prefer more.
I don't think amanos or other shrimp eat that white fuzz because I don't think it's algae. The white fuzz is on the manzanita that has it's bark still attached to it right? If yes I would if possible remove it and sand blast it or peel the bark and maybe boil the branches...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #17
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

From my research, that white fuzz is fungal. Apparently amanos are one of the few inhabitants that eat it.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the fuzz comes from the bark. It only appears on areas where the wood is exposed, like at the ends where the tip has been broken off or on areas where there are cracks in the bark. The rest of the bark has no fuzzy growth at all.

This stuff also originally grew on that piece of Malaysian driftwood in the tank, but it went away in a few weeks. Right now, there's nothing there.

I'm not too concerned about it, though. From what I've read, the fuzzy fungus usually go away in 2 weeks to a month.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #18
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
From my research, that white fuzz is fungal. Apparently amanos are one of the few inhabitants that eat it.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the fuzz comes from the bark. It only appears on areas where the wood is exposed, like at the ends where the tip has been broken off or on areas where there are cracks in the bark. The rest of the bark has no fuzzy growth at all.

This stuff also originally grew on that piece of Malaysian driftwood in the tank, but it went away in a few weeks. Right now, there's nothing there.

I'm not too concerned about it, though. From what I've read, the fuzzy fungus usually go away in 2 weeks to a month.
You know I think you are right about that it does not come from the bark, if I remember correctly I think I had some on my mopany wood when I just set up my tank. You can always wash it off or just let it go away on its own.

Anyway still a great looking tank Can't wait for more pictures
Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #19
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

Nothing exciting to report. Just put in a plant that looks like a Blyxa japonica but 8" tall. I got it from a friend. Can anyone help ID this?

I'm also planning on taking out the dwarf hairgrass. It's not looking great. I never have any luck with this plant (regular hairgrass and dwarf). They just slowly turn brown and eventually melt away.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #20
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

try checking your diy co2 it might be low and while your at it why not add some root tabs to help with the growth of the hairgrass?

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #21
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

Here's a whole tank shot. I don't like how it looks with the AC HOB on it. Hopefully the glass pipes I ordered will look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
try checking your diy co2 it might be low and while your at it why not add some root tabs to help with the growth of the hairgrass?
Thanks for the tip. If low CO2 is the cause, I'll wait until my pressure CO2 equipment arrives and see if it makes a difference before I take the plant out. I have a few Florish Tabs in the substrate already.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #22
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

Added a pair of oto's to help with the hair algae. Between myself, the amanos, the RCS, and now these guys, hopefully we can keep the algae pretty minimal.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #23
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post
Now you have me wanting a few CPDs for my Edge...nice looking berried cherry.
I know right. Those fish look nice.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

by the way, it's looking good. Very pretty tank. I know how you feel about not liking the looks of a HOB filter. That's what's nice about the Edge. Snap some photos of the new Lily Pipes and pressurized setup when you hook it up. great job! -el g
Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #25
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the comments, Fat Guy. Great work on your Edge as well. I've been a fan of it for a while.

I'll definitely post some pics when I have the lily pipes and other equipment are installed.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #26
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

It's been 2 weeks since the last update. A little has changed. I've removed the water sprite because it's growing way too fast for this little tank. The dwarf hairgrass wasn't doing too well so it's gone also. The microword has doubled in size since it was put into the tank so I thinned it out drastically.

The fishes and shrimp are generally doing well. The only exception is the suicidal CPD that I found on the ground next to the tank one morning. It's unfortunate, but I knew the risk associated with open top tanks.

Here is a current picture:

Here's a short video of the tank. It shows the fishes and shrimps interacting.

The lily tubes that I've ordered arrived. I'm just waiting for the Eheim 2211 and the Hydor ETH 200 heater to be delivered. I'll post an update when everything is set up.

Once again, your comments are appreciated.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #27
halcyon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice video I am currently the sole viewer!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #28
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

Some new equipment arrived a few days ago. I've finally had the time to put it all together. Here's what it looks all connected together:

They include:

- Eheim 2211 canister filter
- Hydor ETH in line heater
- Aquaticmagic nano lily pipes
- Clear piping from Home Depot

I'll post an update soon when it's all installed.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #29
goddessjen
Planted Member

Smile

ooooohhh A 2211! I want one for my Finnex. I'm jealous... Isn't the Hydor a 200 watt heater? Is that overkill for a 4 gallon? It will look nice though since no heater in the tank...
goddessjen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #30
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

The white fuzz is fungus and it should go away after a little while. I had the same stuff on my drift wood during the break-in period of my tank. Nobody ate it and it eventually went away on its own.

Tags
cpd, finnex, nano, rcs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.