Fish club in Hudson Valley, NY? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #16
littleslicknick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ok, I thought about this all night. And I finally said to myself.... "How hard can this possibly be?" I am wondering how far from Albany you all are. I have decided that I am going to start this club. I am going to suggest our first meeting be sometime after Christmas. I think that we should do it on a Sunday afternoon if that is okay with everyone. How does January 16, 2005 sound to everyone? Prehaps 1 o'clockish? Now the question is where? I don't mind driving. Let me know what you all think. First meeting will basically be getting to know each other and such. If you have pictures of your tanks... bring them. If anyone has any cuttings/clippings/shoots or anyother form of plant they are looking to give to someone instead of tossing... bring them. If you have fish that you don't want or have 9 million of and wouldn't mind getting rid of.... bring them. Any questions.... ask. Let me know what you all think. My e-mail address is littleslicknick@hotmail.com . Don't hesitate to e-mail me. Thanks.
-Nick
littleslicknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #17
ksand
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I live in Ulster County, jump on thruway, go to the capital dist. all the time, no don't mind driving, will do my best to attend the first meeting. also, check out the North Jersey Aquatic Plant Network (NJAPN) on Yahoo.
ksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #18
melbourne
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hi,

I'm down in Westchester county, Albany is probably a 2+ ride north. Does anyone know of any local fish stores that carry American Flag Fish and or Cherry/Amano shrimp? I called around to a few places today and no one had anything.

-Mike
melbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #19
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

Eddies Aquarium in Latham NY carries Flagfish, and they always have Amanos, but they call them Japonica shrimp and ghost shrimp. Go to Eddiesaqua.com for phone # and address.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:29 PM   #20
melbourne
Algae Grower

Hi,

Just called the LFS in Latham, they don't have any flagfish. I tried about 12 LFS around me also. Looks like I'm going to have to mail-order them from AZGardens.

-Mike
melbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 AM   #21
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Animabilia in Wappingers, B&G Pet Shop in Newburgh, Tropical World & Pet Center in Newburgh, The Birdcage in Hyde Park, all have had japonicas at one time or other. Animabilia has had bumble bees and some other rarer things as well.

The Birdcage and TW&PC have had cherries. I called every week after cleaning out the latter of all their cherries to get some more, but they never did get any. I quit calling after 6 months.

Unfortunately, vendors have taken on the reprehensible practise of dyeing Yamato shrimp, and don't like to tell you that's what they're doing, which makes ordering cherries and getting cherries rather tedious.

I'd really like to know if there are any decent LFSs in the Albany area. It's really closer to me than all these places south, but I never go that way so I don't know what might be there.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #22
ksand
Planted Member

Try Davy Jones' Locker (518) 436-4810. They are fish-only. I've seen flag fish there.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:42 PM   #23
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

I'll keep them in mind next time I'm in that area.

I don't do AFFs any more. Too aggressive. Only the females might be tolerable, and the algae consumption varies a lot with individual fish. The wild-caught are supposed to be a lot better. Don't ask me how to tell if an AFF is wild-caught or not.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #24
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Animabilia in Wappingers
Help me with my geography. Is that near Wappingers Falls? Near Poughkeepsie?

Mike
Old 12-18-2004, 01:46 PM   #25
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

Yes and yes.
Wappingers Falls. Mostly you hear the Falls dropped off the name.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #26
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Next time I take a run up to Half Time in Poughkeepsie, I'll have to stop there!

Mike
Old 12-19-2004, 04:05 PM   #27
Zensurgeon
Algae Grower

Default Hudson Valley

Hi!

I moved from Westchester to Newburgh about 6 months ago. I brought all 12 of my tanks of cichlids and plants. I built my own fish room, all the stands and am in the process of putting all my tanks back in order. All my plants died except for some java.

I live about 1 mile from Tropical World in Newburgh, but not much in the way of plants and they are in a process of building a new fishroom themselves, so their fish selection is dwindling.

My whole family used to belong to North Jersey Aquarium, and I would certainly be interested in joining a local club here or help in starting one. I would be happy to trade some cichlids for plants LOL.

Tom
Zensurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:39 PM   #28
ksand
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensurgeon
I live about 1 mile from Tropical World in Newburgh, but not much in the way of plants and they are in a process of building a new fishroom themselves, so their fish selection is dwindling.
I Live in Milton, and stop in at TW at least once a week. Just bought 2 bags of Flourite on Friday. For tanks selection/price they have everyone beat, even PS.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:40 AM   #29
Zensurgeon
Algae Grower

I agree. The owner, I forget his name, knows what he is doing so I trust his advice.

I have 9 tanks right now, mostly cichlids, and have been cleaning them up. Each tank is a complete renovation so it is taking me while to do. I have 4 more to go.

I have my eye on some angels as well as some julies he has.
Zensurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:31 PM   #30
tuna_man_phd
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to tuna_man_phd Send a message via Yahoo to tuna_man_phd
Default flagfish

Mel , Something Fishy in Scotia ,NY carries flagfish
tuna_man_phd is offline   Reply With Quote