Sexing Guppy Fry
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-12-2003, 07:18 PM   #1
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

:?:

At what point should you be able to tell the difference between male and female guppies? I have two batches of fry in my tank, one is 3 weeks old and approaching 1/2 -3/4 of an inch long, the other batch is 1 week old and still under 1/2 inch. The older batch are both half black and i cannot see any difference in tail size or coloration, none of my males are that color but one of my females is. The second batch of fry are completely clear which again matches the coloration of one of my females. At what point do the males start displaying their colors and are they nessicarily the colors of the breeding male or female?
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

First, you will need a two-gallon aquarium and a piece of black cardboard that can cover the back of the aquarium. Cut a hole about 1/2 inch in the center of the cardboard and place it on the back of the aquarium. Place a small lamp with a frosted 100-watt bulb directly behind the hole. Using the water from the aquarium containing the new fry, fill the two-gallon tank. Carefully remove two or three fry from the tank and put them in the sexing tank. Wait until early evening when the sun is dim, and using a magnifying glass, observe the guppy as it swims through the beam of light. Under these specialized conditions, the gravid spot of the females can be detected. Males will not have this spot. Segregate the males and
females.

I found the above on the net. To me, sexing them is a pain in the butt!
You can wait till they get a little older than what it says above, when the males come to sexual maturity. They will develop a gonopodium(sp) it is a nifty third fin thing on their abdomen, that they use to deliver sperm to the female. Usually you can see the gravid spot on the females by then too.
Only thing is, if you wait that long to sex them, then some of the females may have already been impregnated.

Have fun! I don't envy you, LOL. :lol:
Old 03-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

Having them breed is not a concern, i could care less about maintaining a "Pure" line as it is just a kick to have them breeding all the time, i am gonna give the extra to my friends/family/and any local fish stores i can conive into giving me credit for 8)

Though in refrence to color patterns how is it determined what a male will look like? is the color of the male or the color of the female?
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
kor4ever
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I personally think its easier to see if there is an anal fin or lack of anal fin to determine sex, because the gonopodium is a smaller organ. So, if there is an anal fin its a female.

About breeding guppies, you want to make sure the male and the female have around the same tail color, shape, and characteristics you want, otherwise you will have more of a mix group.

Here is a site for more information on breeding if your interested:

http://madhunag.tripod.com/breeding_guppies.html

Felix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.