best water change regiment for High phosphates in 29gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-23-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
AlgaeHater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

best water change regiment for High phosphates in 29gallon

I bought a phosphate test kit and found out why I am growing algae. I got a reading of 4, close to 5mg/l via the nutrafin po4 test kit. Today I did a 8 gallon water change to start the lowering. How many gallons should I change per day to get this under control? I also got a reading of 2mg/l in my 25 gallon, so I checked my tap water and the test came to less than .25mg/l. I feed the fish tubaflex worms twice a day. I guess I should feed once a day now. And any other suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot.
AlgaeHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
sn8k
Planted Member

IME - a 50% water change netted a .5 decrease in PO4. I had a reading of 5+ mg/l when I started, and did water changes every 2 to 3 days for 2 weeks to finally get the PO4 reading where they needed to be (I also did 3 treatements with the phospate sponge.... which also only drops the total PO4 by .5). This was on a 90 gallon tank that I stupidly put SeaChems Discus Buffer in. Anyway, I think the water changes are the best/cheapest solution.

Good luck
Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

Custom All Glass 90 Gal (48x14x30) - Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
sn8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Yeap, water changes will do the job. I spilled fleet enema inside one of my tank before and PO4 reading went up over the chart. I used a hang on filter filled with Phosban (inside a media bag). PO4 went down to 0 in a few hours. That thing really works but I don't think you need it since yours only at 4ppm.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

First off make sure your water source doesn't contain phosphates. Once you know that then take what steps you need to take to reduce phosphates in the tank. Do you know the source of the high phosphate levels? Are you using some type of pH down chemical?
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

First things first, find the source of the phosphates. Your tap only has 0.25ppm so that isn't it. Overfeeding is likely to be a source. In line with what rex said, check all chemicals that you add to your tank. Make sure none of phosphates and if you don't know, run it by us. By any chance are you using Schultz Aquatic Soil or Soil Conditioner or Profile?

I personally would opt to use a phosphate removing media rather then water changes, just easier that way. You can then dose it when the reading is 0.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
fade2black
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoboy
I used a hang on filter filled with Phosban (inside a media bag). PO4 went down to 0 in a few hours. That thing really works but I don't think you need it since yours only at 4ppm.
Does anyone in the planted tank community ever use these Phosban Reactors to controll PO4?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know anyone who has a phosphate reactor ona planted tank. typically you can get phosphates under control with good water changing routines and switching to low-phosphate brands of food. those reactors are mostly used by marine/reef tank people, where .05ppm of phosphate will cause red cyano algae blooms.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
fade2black
Algae Grower

That's what I thought. I keep reef tanks as well and just wondered if this product was making it's way over to this community.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
Aqua Dave
Planted Member

I've had good results with Phosguard. Probably similar to Phosban. My tap water is high in phosphates and I'll use Phosguard to remove it. I personally would just use some sort of chemical media to remove the phosphate since it's easier and quicker.

David
Aqua Dave is offline   Reply With Quote