Do i need to go RO??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
bcbishop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do i need to go RO??

Hey guys,

So my city water coming in has 9 degrees of GH hardness. My tank water is 13 Degrees of hardness.

I want to start breeding RCS and think i need to get my hardness down.
Ive tryed putting peat in my filter but that hasnt done much.

I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon with very similar parameters.

What are your thoughts? Or ideas of what i can do to lower my hardness?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I'd try figuring out what in your tank is raising the hardness by 4 degrees. 9dGH should be fine for neos. Most likely some rocks or substrate is raising your hardness.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

My tap water GH is around 15 ,but when I used to change water too often(partial water changes) ,The GH and Kh had climbed in the 20's
Some of the water evaporates but the minerals contained stay in the tank.Add more hard water on top of that and the GH and KH go higher ,each time.
What I do now is top off with RO/DI water ,and also if I make a water change I also dilute tap with RO water.
I plan to measure GH and Kh monthly ,after the WC ,and monitor so that I don't lower them too much.
Hard water sucks@!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)

I faced a similar dilemma here in Florida. My water is sky high out of the tap (10-20 plus on both meters depending on the day)

I love having rodi water and since the switch I've seen a drop in algae in tanks that I've converted as well as happier fish and shrimp. There's a chance to get in on group buys on other websites where you can get a great rodi system at a good price. I got mine from bulk reef supply on such a buy and with the money I saved I had enough to buy extra filters. -- I also use the system to produce drinking water which has saved me almost 20 a week compared to buying bottled water.

The worst part is filling the water jugs and waiting for them to fill since the systems produce water slowly...and produce a lot of waste water...but in the end I'm so very happy that I've gone the rodi route. The only other complaint I have is when I need to change the filters the canisters can be an absolute beast to get off (woot thankfully they include a tool, but remember to eat your wheaties before taking the canister off, last time I had a some arm for days)

Just make sure if you do go the rodi route that you remin the water. I keep a tds meter handy and once the output gets above 4 TDS I change my stage ones filter. I've yet to have to change the membrane or resin, although I'm planning on doing it soon and I've had the system approx a year, it just depends on how much water you're making.

I also do a remin water for my changes as well as using rodi 0 tds for top offs through the week.
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote