API CO2 booster
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

API CO2 booster

I don't have pressurized CO2 in my tank yet, and I have some CO2 hungry plants, I picked up a bottle of API CO2 booster to get me through the next month until I can afford the pressurized CO2 setup. It says on the bottle 1ml/10 U.S. Gallons, so I have been dosing 3ml a day along with my fertilizer regimen...I can't find active ingredients anywhere on the bottle, but what I was wondering was, would it be ok to do a double dose or more, say 10ml a day? In a tank with fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seadon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
metageologist
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If the API booster is any thing like excel you can slowly increase the dosage over time with no ill effects. If done slowly and carefully.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also will it help control algae, specifically on plants, and if so at what kind of dose, I know pressurized helps plants out compete algae

Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

API's version of Excel is about the same, if not the same as Excel. Excel is typically dosed at 5X the normal dosage for the first dose after a water change, so it must not bother the fish much, if at all. I know 2X doesn't because I dose that regularly, every day. This is a very small dosage anyway, so there is no reason to slowly buildup to that dosage.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
API's version of Excel is about the same, if not the same as Excel. Excel is typically dosed at 5X the normal dosage for the first dose after a water change, so it must not bother the fish much, if at all. I know 2X doesn't because I dose that regularly, every day. This is a very small dosage anyway, so there is no reason to slowly buildup to that dosage.

Awesome, thank you, that is what I was looking for, I thought the 3ml recommended dose for my tank was painfully low, and for someone who has a serious deficiency of co2 in their tank, I need to get some in there while I save up for a pressurized set-up.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

I was wondering what your thoughts on adding a small amount of pre carbonated water to a 29 gallon aquarium were. I have been curious about using my soda stream to carbonate a liter of water and then add it slowly over the course of the day to replace evaporated water. The only problem is there is really no accurate way to measure it other than by knowing it is as carbonated as a liter of soda haha

Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadon View Post
I was wondering what your thoughts on adding a small amount of pre carbonated water to a 29 gallon aquarium were. I have been curious about using my soda stream to carbonate a liter of water and then add it slowly over the course of the day to replace evaporated water. The only problem is there is really no accurate way to measure it other than by knowing it is as carbonated as a liter of soda haha

Using carbonated water as a source of CO2 is not a new idea; Amano used to do it, butt ran into some difficulty with its uncontrollable nature.

Furthermore, you may find that a litre of carbonated water does not stay carbonated for very long. Think about how fast a bottle of pop goes flat when left out in the open.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

The only reason to slowly ramp up the Excel would be if you have Vals, Anacharis or a couple other Glut-sensitive types of plants which I can't think of right now. Excel can melt these plants but you can slowly build up their tolerance so they won't melt.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
The only reason to slowly ramp up the Excel would be if you have Vals, Anacharis or a couple other Glut-sensitive types of plants which I can't think of right now. Excel can melt these plants but you can slowly build up their tolerance so they won't melt.

By this I'm assuming you mean it's ok to just start doubling or tripling, or more your excel dose at once most times?...that is what I did with no ill effects

Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadon View Post
By this I'm assuming you mean it's ok to just start doubling or tripling, or more your excel dose at once most times?...that is what I did with no ill effects

What I'm saying is if you have Excel sensitive plants you might want to start with half the recommended dose for a week or 2??, then up it to full dose for a week or so, then up it again to 1.5 times recommended dose, etc. This might help avoid melting (killing) these plants.

If you don't have any Excel sensitive plants then I guess it would ok to double the recommended dose. ?? Glut is used to kill algae so it could harm plants if you just start off with double or triple dose every day. I personally slowly work my way up rather than going right to overdosing.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

...I used the recommended dose, then then 1.5x for a day, then double, then 4x, after I read what hoppy said about how the dose is on the very low end of the safe spectrum, with the intention of slowly building levels up in the tank. I have notice nothing but + effects.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad it worked out for you. I tended to be more cautious since I wasn't sure of all the plants that were sensitive to Glut and didn't want to melt my new plants.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:25 AM   #13
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
Glad it worked out for you. I tended to be more cautious since I wasn't sure of all the plants that were sensitive to Glut and didn't want to melt my new plants.

Yeah, ignorance can be bliss...or a major pain in the ass! Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.