2 yr. old betta tank all plants dying
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
jarury
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

2 yr. old betta tank all plants dying

I have a betta thats about 2 years old, started out in a 2.5 gallon tank that randomly the back panel cracked in 3 places no idea how it happened or how long it was like that but I instantly bought a new tank.

the new tank was a 3 gallon crescent marineland tank like this just 3 not 5 gallon
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariu...alue%3Dfaceted

had this tank for about a year and a half with my betta in it and about 15 shrimp I got free when I bought the tank

up until about a month everything has been great but my shrimp began to disappear and then once that started happening all my plants began to die.

plants where pennywort, a few different anubias, wisteria, and crypt weditti.

now all my plants but one anubias and some wisteria from another tank are dead I dose ferts weekly just like the other tank (no issues at all). when I did a water test about 10 minutes ago everything looked good except my ph was about 8.4

would high ph kill my plants? and what is the best way to lower the ph. also ph from tap (well water not city) is about 8-8.2

any help is appreciated
jarury is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
colaudrey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

what lights do you have over the tank?
ferts?
how often do you w/c?
can you put the exact ppm of your params

it isn't surprising that only the wisteria and anubias are alive, those are low low light and low maintenance plants. this thread might be better in the plant sub-forum, or low-tech
colaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
jarury
Algae Grower

Lights are the stock led that came with the tank so I'm not exactly sure but they grew all the plants great until recently and the anubias and wisteria are slowly falling

Params I think were 0 nitrites
0 nitrates
0 ammonia
And 8.4 pH
Water changes are 15% every 10 days
Ferts were at 3 ml a week of flourish liquid (not exactly sure the brand will update later if wrong) but I have started 3ml every 3 days which has seemed to help slightly.

And if it can be moved I would appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #4
colaudrey
Algae Grower

you'll want to upgrade the light then, stock lights generally won't grow anything but java, anubius, and few other low lights. and 0 nitrates? you might want to make sure youre shaking the 2nd testing liquid enough, it should be more than 0
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
jarury
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaudrey View Post
you'll want to upgrade the light then, stock lights generally won't grow anything but java, anubius, and few other low lights. and 0 nitrates? you might want to make sure youre shaking the 2nd testing liquid enough, it should be more than 0
I've been thinking about upgrading lights guess I have a perfect reason now. And I retested and nitrates were 5ppm
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
fish jihad
Algae Grower

Newbie guess here:

15 shrimp is one hell of a bioload for a 3 gallon. Even though they are small they still secrete waste. Have you ever cleaned out your filter cartridge? If i recall correctly about once a month or so you gently scrape the media on the cartridge using tank water. My guess is the filter just couldnt keep up with all those shrimp and you had an amonia spike that killed them. Once enough died the filter was able to keep up with the remaining bioload. Hence why your current reading is ok.
As for the plants dying. All that waste from the shrimp kept them going for a long while. Once they were gone the plants declined. I would up your flourish dosing some more. If you notice any algae cut bck immediately.
fish jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
jarury
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish jihad View Post
Newbie guess here:

15 shrimp is one hell of a bioload for a 3 gallon. Even though they are small they still secrete waste. Have you ever cleaned out your filter cartridge? If i recall correctly about once a month or so you gently scrape the media on the cartridge using tank water. My guess is the filter just couldnt keep up with all those shrimp and you had an amonia spike that killed them. Once enough died the filter was able to keep up with the remaining bioload. Hence why your current reading is ok.
As for the plants dying. All that waste from the shrimp kept them going for a long while. Once they were gone the plants declined. I would up your flourish dosing some more. If you notice any algae cut bck immediately.
Only problem ammonia readings have always been 0
I believe my betta ate the shrimp sense there was no bodies or anything. But I do agree the shrimp where helping with their bioload.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
colaudrey
Algae Grower

bettas can and will eat shrimp, especially with such a small tank. unless it was heavily planted (which the betta would be left with little swimming room), i don't see the shrimp surviving long.

to lower ph, try DW tannins, or some LFS sell "bottled" tannins. this will darken the colour of the water, but purigin in the filter can help with that. peat moss in the filter as well can lower ph, but brown water. i think you can have the water sit out a day before you add it, but i would test the ph difference with this.