Tamelesstgr's 12 x 12 Cube Project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Tamelesstgr's 12 x 12 Cube Project

I found some cut pieces of glass I have been saving for years. The pieces had polished edges, and I only had to cut 1 piece of the 1/4" glass, so I ended up with a 11-1/2 x 12 x 14 (Sorta Cube). I must say, I really like the style of a cube rimless tank.

I read and re-read tank building journals so I decided why not give it a try. I positioned everything and had all the materials ready. I cleaned all the surfaces and started laying down beads of GE I. I was suprised how messy the process was, my main goal was just to seal the panes together. I let the tank cure for 1 week.

When I had some more time I then removed the inner bead and messy silicone from the outside of the glass. I wanted to avoid the large smearing seams in the corners, I wanted to try for the nice tight seam. Once I was done cleaning all the excess and had just a seam between panes and bottom, I filled it up. She held 7.5 gallons with the filter. It held water overnight so I was pretty happy.

The next step was to lay down a nice even small bead in the corners. This proved rather difficult, with not much space to work in I angled the caulk gun and laid a few small beads. 2 out of 4 were good, I had to redo 2. So after a few more days of curing I'm pretty happy with the result. So far I have $4 in this set up.

Here are a few pictures:

Set up and cut

Initial seams

Seam

Side Shot

Filter

Filter w/ Heater (Need to do a slight modification)

Possible Location

Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
pmd5700
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice work! What kind of filter is that? Is the heater built in, or do you just have it sitting in there?

Peter
160G - Central/South American Cichlids
pmd5700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Seams looks very clean. Hope it holds well.

The heater looks just like a hydor heater... Or something like that.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

That looks awesome! Nice job! The seams look very clean. Can't wait to see it filled up and with some plants in it

Is that an Aqueon filter? And what's that thing sticking out from the top of it?

I just noticed you from Bolingbrook, not to far from were I am, wanna make me one
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
benon
Planted Member

Love that filter / heater combo! Also love the DIY tanks.

I wish to glue together a tank of my own... I wonder how much cut glass costs in San Francisco?

Just exactly how strong is silicone glue + glass? How careful do I need to be to achieve something precise like ADA?
benon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

The filter is an Aqueon 20 which I got for free at my LFS, once a year they have a rep come in and you can trade in old filters for a new one. I think it's a little bit big for the tank, but free is always good. It moves the water pretty well, I like lots of flow. Once it's full of media and the heater I think it will calm down a bit.

The heater is a tetra submersible for up to 15 gallons, I have them in my other tanks also, it's about the smallest I can find. I need to notch part of the plastic in the filter and it should slide down in the filter nicely. A slim titanium like the Catalina version would fit with no problems. I hate clutter in my tanks, so this is a nice way to hid that. The inlet will be hidden by some driftwood.

It's not ADA or GLA tight seams, but I think it came out pretty good for my first try, I have quite a bit of experience with laying beads of caulk. I'm going to fill it up and see how it does over a week or so.

I'm thinking I might try an actual plant substrate this time around, I have just pool filter sand in my 20 and moon sand in my 6. I'd like to try Zosterifolia again, never got it to grow good in my old 55. Maybe a small carpet or some micro swords.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
fleshwound
Algae Grower

Ive heard of people making their own aquariums but how do you make sure the glass is attached to all the other pieces securely. Ive heard there is some kind of UV glue, and silicone used? Also how do you know the glass is thick enough? Maybe im just paranoid, otherwise I would have attempted it already lol
fleshwound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
RogueFj

Nice job! Wish I could do that... Hoep it doesn't leak.
RogueFj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
Nate McFin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

updates??
Nate McFin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.