Reviews on fluval g3/g6? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #31
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
What do those do?
http://www.youtube.com/v/ye-ETO5m5NA

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #32
Landau
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Ok I found the expansion port quote

From Practical Fishkeeping interviewing Hagen's category manager Robert Reid.

"Nevertheless, we have already installed a connection point that will enable us to add an external G heater and it is already integrated to the HydroTech software. This will be the next step in the Fluval G Evolution and be one of the first add-ons."

So it sounds like the G's thermometer will control the heater. Hopefully he means external to the tank, not inside the tank but external to the filter with a wire going to the filter.

I like the "one of the first add-ons" bit - more coming.

29G - ReefKeeper Lite Controller - Pressurized CO2 - Hydor Inline heater - Fluval 205 - Fluval Pimp #18
Landau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #33
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

sweet l appreciate the enlightment can't wait for more gadgets

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #34
Lance Uppercut
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Got my G3 about 3 weeks ago and it is sweet. Changing/cleaning filter media has never been easier. I know alot of people seem to be down on the G3 because it costs almost as much as the G6, but I'm glad I went with the G3. I have a 45g cube (24x24x18) and I also have a Fluval U2 running as a backup, and even with the spraybars attached I had to run the G3 at about 70%.
This past weekend I was playing around with the fittings it came with (modular loc-line style fittings are awesome!) and I ended up popping the solid ends off the spraybars and snapping on the stock return jets to the ends. This allowed me to run the filter at 100% strength and now I have the spraybars in the back corner at a 90 degree angle aimed slightly upwards creating a nice "mini-vortex" to eliminate surface scum, while the ends of the spraybars emit a gentle downward flow throughout the rest of the tank. I'm seriously considering removing the U2, but it's always nice to have a backup just in case.
The chemical media container on the G3 is just the right size for my system, I have it filled with Fluval peat granules (My previous filter was an AC70 HOB and the peat I had in that filled the G3 media container perfectly). I also just picked up the fine prefilter cartridge last week because I was doing a major "trim/rescape session" and ran it for the next day afterwords and it made the tank super clear. It does clog up quicker obviously, so I'm only gonna use it when I need to and run the stock prefilter the majority of the time.
I might post a pic or two some day if I'm motivated.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #35
Lance Uppercut
Planted Member

...another thing I think alot of people don't understand is the flow ratings for the G-series filters are true ratings. For example, the G6 I think is rated at 265gph. This rating is for the filter FULL of media @ 4ft head. Most other canisters' (eheim, marineland, other generation fluvals) flow rates you see on the box are rated empty, and in most instances at much lower head height than most people would use them at. I believe the G6's rating empty @ 1ft is something like 665gph. Pretty big difference, eh?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #36
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

cool thanks for the heads up, i'm still deciding if l should use spraybar or jet ends. l'm going to run mines for the first time tommorow hopefully

Old 05-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #37
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

well so far the filter is running smoothly, l do get the "conductivity is out of range" message a lot which i'm still trying to figure out besides reading the manual.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #38
lasutaku
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I was interested in getting one of these for a 60P. Is it a little over kill for such a small tank?
lasutaku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #39
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

l think so, don't get me wrong i'd love to put a g3 n a 18g but the jets in my tank are just perfect and gives it the current l want for my fish and it's a 48g can't imagine how much it would do in a 60p unless you were doing salt water :P. If you don't care then go for it! you can always put the spray bars to lower the flow a bit but even then you got a limited space and you wouldn't want the flow just tossing your fish around especially at night when their asleep and getting their rest :P

Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #40
Rudy
Algae Grower

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau View Post
From Practical Fishkeeping interviewing Hagen's category manager Robert Reid.

"Nevertheless, we have already installed a connection point that will enable us to add an external G heater and it is already integrated to the HydroTech software. This will be the next step in the Fluval G Evolution and be one of the first add-ons."

So it sounds like the G's thermometer will control the heater. Hopefully he means external to the tank, not inside the tank but external to the filter with a wire going to the filter.

I like the "one of the first add-ons" bit - more coming.
A couple of weeks ago I spoke to Hagen Tech Manger and I asked him about the G6 and Heater add on .... and he told me that there is nothing coming out (add ons for G6) any time soon. So maybe we see something in a couple of years
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #41
Lance Uppercut
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
A couple of weeks ago I spoke to Hagen Tech Manger and I asked him about the G6 and Heater add on .... and he told me that there is nothing coming out (add ons for G6) any time soon. So maybe we see something in a couple of years
Not True.
Coming out this fall @ Backer Show
Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #42
Rudy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
Not True.
Coming out this fall @ Backer Show
How sure are you of this? (I hope you right )
Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #43
Lance Uppercut
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
How sure are you of this? (I hope you right )
Hagen rep told me. However, I see you are in Canada, so maybe U.S. release before Canada? (That would be kind of silly tho)
Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #44
Rudy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
Hagen rep told me. However, I see you are in Canada, so maybe U.S. release before Canada? (That would be kind of silly tho)
I just called Hagen (HQ) (5min ago). Costumer serviced transfered me to the head of Fluval technical design. And again I was told there is nothing coming out any time soon, especially not for the up coming Backer Show. Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing with you as a matter of fact I hope they are lying to me.

Hagen (HQ) # 1(800) 554-2436
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #45
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

keep your fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.