Eheim 2217 too big?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eheim 2217 too big?

Has anyone used an Eheim 2217 on a standard size 55 gallon tank? I'm hoping to keep a lot of small tetras and I'm wondering if the 2217 will be too strong in terms of water flow....?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I have one on a 17 gallon and the flow is perfect. So, no, it's not too much for a 55g.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
chocological
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I am planning a 55 and am going for 2 2217's.
chocological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have one on my 60p and its perfect.
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
alaskajeff
Planted Member

2 2217's on a 55 ? I just don't understand this overkill with the filters. I have had aquariums for years and have never done this and never regretted it...I am 52 years old and had aquariums since I was 10 years old.
alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
2 2217's on a 55 ? I just don't understand this overkill with the filters. I have had aquariums for years and have never done this and never regretted it...I am 52 years old and had aquariums since I was 10 years old.
I agree. There's no good reason to run that much bio on a planted tank in the first place. If you're a flow junkie, put a powerhead in the tank, not another $150 canister filter.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
I agree. There's no good reason to run that much bio on a planted tank in the first place. If you're a flow junkie, put a powerhead in the tank, not another $150 canister filter.
I think this is it. Folks seem to be confusing their preference for a certain amount of current in the tank with a filter's ability to...filter. Surely a 2217 should handle even an unplanted, heavily-stocked 55 with ease. Might want some additional mechanical in the case of big, messy fish. HOB makes more sense than another canister for that.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
chocological
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

One 2217 for an inline Barr style co2 reactor and inline heater, the other will run by itself.
Should also mention the reactor is about 14 inches long at a 2 inch diameter.
chocological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

A single 2217 is an excellent choice for a 55. It has lots of bio in case you should want to move to a bunch of large fish but it does not have a really forceful output. There is a lot of confusion on filter design. Some want tons of flow while others expect to do fine with lower flow through tons of media. Same bio results but just different designs. Since filters take more trouble to clean when they do need it, I find powerheads are far cheaper, easier, and more flexible than buying more filters.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
alaskajeff
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
One 2217 for an inline Barr style co2 reactor and inline heater, the other will run by itself.
Should also mention the reactor is about 14 inches long at a 2 inch diameter.
Run the Reactor on a canister and get a power head for the in line heater. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 2215 and it works great. I have Cerges reactor hooked up to it as well.
alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm really glad that the consensus seems to be that a 2217 is not too big for a 55g (especially since I already ordered one).
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
rebeccarainbow

Default 2 eheim 2217s on a 75 gal

Hi! putting in my 2 cents... my completely new as of last summer to tanks of any sort, let alone planted, 2 cents btw... I have a 75 gallon planted with 2 eheim 2217 filters and a power head. Now, I see everyone's point about more filtration not being necessary, but I adopted my tank with all the gear so I never had to spend lots of money! So. Anyways. This is my plug for having 2: did you know you can adjust the flow? you just tweak the little levers on the intake and output valves and you can get the flow just right. I have a lot of wood, a lot of plants, and rainbows who like to have a high flow. In the summer it gets very hot and to help cool the tank I add in the power head too. When I need to clean a filter I can alternate so that one filter is nice and juicy while the other gets a good rinse, and if anything happens to one of the filters I have a back up. Which recently I had to get one repaired and it was at the shop for a couple of days, no stress because I had the back up. I also do a lot of tweaking to get my levels right-- like I have one canister that has a lot of peat in it, the other has a regular ratio of media. The bottom line is that if you can afford it maybe get two, it can't hurt! You could even get to 2213 or something instead.
rebeccarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #13
caique
Planted Member

You will love the 2217 on a 55 I have one on my 50, I also have the outflow going through a Emporer Aquatics 25 watt UV sterilizer and an inline 200 watt hydor heater, which slows down the flow a bit. I also run a Koralia 350 power head.

Overfiltering is a g65 on a 20 long with a 60 gallon sponge filter for my OEBT.

Or my fx5 on a 75 with a reactor and an inline 300 watt heater, with a koralia 550, all tanks are full of plants shrimp and fish that breed constantly.

Rummynose will love the current.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

Next question: Should I or shouldn't I use the spray bar that came with the Eheim 2217? What are the pro's & con's? (I should probably also mention that I will be using an Atomic inline C02 diffuser, in case that makes a difference.)

Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #15
caique
Planted Member

I like the spraybar on mine, I have it at the right end shooting across the tank with my Koralia right under it and towards the front glass.

Spraybar diffuses the output into a wider area, just having the output shoot into the tank can blow things around a bit.

My 50 is 36 inches long, is your 55 a 4 footer, in my 55 ( 4 footer) I have a eheim 2028 pro2 with the spraybar on the left back side shooting forward and a koralia 350 on the right side shooting into the middle of the tank.

Positioning of spray bars and power heads really has to do with what plants you have and how many.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote